Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Don't Leave Home Without One!

The DW says, hey the toilet is plugged, I said what! RVing with three super gals I thought I was prepared with everything. The first day I found a pair of channel locks would have, should have been in my tool kit, but I left them out.

The "Don't Leave Home Without One" is the "Head Plunger", fortunately the front office where we stayed had one, what a life saver! I will have one with us next trip. You don't think about one until you need one, and they're a real life saver.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never used nor needed a plunger in an RV. But I do have several different size channel lock pliers. Also, I never use channel locks on something I plan to use later as they are a last resort to get something apart.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

In my rig a plunger would do any good, I have a short piece of hose attached to a wooden handle(previous owner made it). When the pipe under the flap get something hung in it, just push the hose down and work it around, clog usually gone in a couple of minutes.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
In my rig a plunger would do any good, I have a short piece of hose attached to a wooden handle(previous owner made it). When the pipe under the flap get something hung in it, just push the hose down and work it around, clog usually gone in a couple of minutes.

With respect, a plunger isn't just for the bathroom. Any hole the plunger will fit over you have a strong hydraulic action as long as you have fluid to work with. Any plugged hole, sinks, showers, anything. Few people understand the dynamics of a plunger. I've unplugged and opened many different things with a plunger. Like I said, you may never need one for years, but the one time you do, it's the only thing that will work in a few seconds in most cases.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #5

They work well as a dent remover too, sometimes.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
They work well as a dent remover too, sometimes.
I have done this as well. Works well. Did a lower storage door last week.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
I found that a retractable snake works great and removes blockages all the way down the drain. You can get a small one for just a few bucks at Wall Mart.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never though I’d need a plunger either. Had a bad case of the runs for four days until a doctor gave me pills to stop it.
We were parked in one spot and all the toilet paper for days just piled up and pluged the toilet opening from talking anything. Never thought something like this could happen. I opened the black tank valve but only the liquid dumped and the pile stayed there. Wife had to buy a plunger which moved the pile somewhat. Added water to the tank and moved the unit which made the pile go away and we dumped again. What a crappy story but a plunger is now on board and hope I never need it again.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumann View Post
Never though I’d need a plunger either. Had a bad case of the runs for four days until a doctor gave me pills to stop it.
We were parked in one spot and all the toilet paper for days just piled up and pluged the toilet opening from talking anything. Never thought something like this could happen. I opened the black tank valve but only the liquid dumped and the pile stayed there. Wife had to buy a plunger which moved the pile somewhat. Added water to the tank and moved the unit which made the pile go away and we dumped again. What a crappy story but a plunger is now on board and hope I never need it again.
Hal
That's a bit too much info
Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I guess what surprised me the most was that TP would pile up in the tank the way it did. Guess the lesson learned is use more water.
Hal
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a plunger everywhere I 'go'.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I carry a plunger. I use it when the bathtub drain stops up. Of course, before I use it, I first check to make sure the reason isn't because the gray tank is full. I also have one of those little round, removable stainless steel screens in my bathtub drain, but the some of the hair still gets around it somehow and eventually causes the drain to slow and clog up.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
The OP specifically mentions unstopping an RV toilet with a plunger. How did you manage to do this? Details please. The three coaches and TT we have had were set up with the toilet either dropping directly into the tank or into a pipe that went into the tank. I am having trouble seeing how this was possible. Sink, shower or lavatory I can see, but wonder how the plunger would force anything to unclog in an RV toilet.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Would like to reply only about toilet paper clumping. If you are using the correct toilet paper that shouldn't have happened.
The way to test the toilet paper is to take a sheet of it and put it in a glass of water. Put your hand over the top of the glass and shake it. The toilet paper should break apart. We use Scott tissues.

Another point is to always leave water in bowl to make seal of flapper.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote