Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Make what you consider a fair offer, after doing your research, and STAND YOUR GROUND. This principle works best with cash in hand. Dealers find it very difficult to pass up cash.
Did that to a Dodge dealership once. Walked in with a bank check filled out for what I wanted to spend above what I valued my trade at. Wouldnt you know it I walked out with a new set of keys and a great deal...
MeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #72

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Make what you consider a fair offer, after doing your research, and STAND YOUR GROUND. This principle works best with cash in hand. Dealers find it very difficult to pass up cash.
Stand your ground I like that, but having Cash has not proven to be of benefit my past two times I have had the ability. First time was for a F150 pickup and the second was for a brand new Forest River Class C. No trade-ins, just Cash, and both times the experience was not what I expected. When you have cash, you have an advantage to a point; that is to say no finance commission or playing the game for trade in value ect..; and that is only if you do not fall for the extras like warranties, undercoating and the like. In the end, the person is a sales person trying to get you to commit to buying. My point is with cash, sales/dealerships only have one varible to manipulate unless you allow for more!!!

My current RV had a trade-in, finance options and suggested retail price to barter to whole sale affordability. In a nut shell, buying from a dealership has become a necessary pain in you know what. Alls I can say, is like most people, I have had a few good deals, but many more deals that were not. Do not care how old you get or how wise you think you are, there are still many obstacles out there to get through for a good deal.

Sorry to ramble.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't understand dealers

I start to wonder - if many of us have had this experience, then why aren't we getting into the business and selling? . Seems that there is a market on this thread.

Some car dealers in our area simply advertise their lowest guaranteed price. I know folks that go to them for this very reason and have had a very good experience. Here is an example. http://www.wilsonvilletoyota.com

The challenge is that typically the price is one that puts everyone on an even playing field. Many like to brag to friends about how they beat the system. It's a trophy.. Rather than some getting messed over and others getting a great deal, all get largely the same deal. Yet the margin may be higher than what you want to pay and folks game the system by walking into other "hotbox" dealers with this as their starting price for a haggle.

Thus, dealers like this eventually give up the "one price" and go back to the old system.

I suggest that some of the challenges we face at dealers we bring upon ourselves, myself included.

On the price item that others shared, the past 3 vehicles I purchased I largely settled on price before walking in the door. It removes the emotion for me and I find that modern dealers have an internet salesrep that understands this. That works well for new as unless there is damage, one can predict exactly what condition it will be in. Used is a different story.

I can't afford new RVs and the depreciation is incredible. Condition is very important as many of you bring up. Private parties can be dishonest too. I've been tricked even after due diligence. For everything I sell, I share every flaw about my rig and price it accordingly. Buyers appreciate that and I sell quickly as a result.

Most cars I buy new. That works just fine, provided that you keep them at least 10 years. That's what I do and the next person gets an awesome used rig.

Tags
dealer