Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #29

When we were in the market I used this site to see what motorhomes were ACTUALLY being sold for. Once I showed the seller this list, matched it to his coach, he came down to my asking price. We were both happy with the transaction.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/d...otor-homes.htm
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
The best sale is when both the seller and buyer walk away satisfied.

IMO the best price should occur quickly, that is not be subject to protracted negotiations. Too many times one party or the other seems to want to "beat" the other party into the ground.

If there is a sale adversarial negotiations most probably will leave future interaction in jeapardy.

Best thing is to negotiate calmly and rationally. If no sale is made then only time is lost. But you can go back in the future to renew negotiations or bid on something else.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The best sale is when both the seller and buyer walk away satisfied.

IMO the best price should occur quickly, that is not be subject to protracted negotiations. Too many times one party or the other seems to want to "beat" the other party into the ground.

If there is a sale adversarial negotiations most probably will leave future interaction in jeapardy.

Best thing is to negotiate calmly and rationally. If no sale is made then only time is lost. But you can go back in the future to renew negotiations or bid on something else.
Well said!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #32

Don't let the asking price scare you. There is usually room to get from 10 to 30 % off from the asking price , especially if you do not have a trade in. Make a sincere , friendly, firm offer, and you may be surprised at what you can buy the mh for.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Start from the bottom and negotiate up. They are expecting you to work down from their price. I'd start at the NADA value or lower.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #34
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Bulldog, look on Rvtrader, EBay, Craigslist, and in the Classifieds on this site. After looking at a zillion motorhomes, you should have a pretty good idea of what you want and their general asking prices.
eBay, Good suggestion!
For example, here is, a seemingly nice one that was sold on eBay Just recently.
No Reserve 05 Fleetwood Discovery 39 ft 3 Slide Diesel Pusher 23 800 Miles | eBay

There are other good buys there as well.
Also, as has been said, don't let the asking price intimidate you at all! Just to give you an example; I saw a 2010 Zephyr advertised by Tom Johnson's RV for $305K. I really liked the layout and it looked clean and sharp, at last on the photos, I got them down to $230K, but then walked away.

Don't rush it, take your time, and yes, do look outside your local area.

All the best!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #35

Find the one you want at the dealers, Make them a written offer tell them to take it to the owner... if they come back with something different thank them for their time and move on... if they want to sell it, they willl call you.. that's the game they play.. if they know you want to play games, they will.. Cut to the Chase... and continue your search!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #36

When we were looking we found a 08 Dutch Star that a bank had as a repo. The coach was in what I would call poor condition although the bank advertised it as in excellent condition!. I made a list of repairs and cost to make them, deducted those cost from the asking price and made an offer. It was rejected, but two weeks later I was asked to return for another look. They had made a few minor repairs, but I still held out for my offered price. They again rejected it. Again two weeks later they called and said "can't you come up a bit more?" I said "No". Another two weeks went by, we bought our current coach and the bank called and said "OK, we accept your offer". I told them it was to late. A month later I saw it at a local dealer for sale as a consignment.

Live and learn my daddy always said.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #37
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
PPL in Texas is also a good place to look at what coaches have sold for. That'll give you an idea of where your offer should be.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #38
srh

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on PPL, but also look at what MHSRV offers - quite a few consignments, and some of their own. The nice thing about MHSRV is they don't haggle that much in price. I would still offer them NOT the asking price. They sold my 05 Essex for $900 less the asking price.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quality is like buying oats. If you want good, clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price. However if you can be satisfied with oats that have gone through a horse - that comes cheaper.

IMO you have to make some value decisions. When you look at the coach what do you see. There are some that have been used and look their age. You expect to see some wear and tear from use. Others will be substandard so you know they have been used hard.

But there are a few that look like they have never been used. You know the previous owner loved the coach and really took care of it. This is the coach you may want to pay a bit more for. It all depends upon how much you appreciate the value of the coach you are considering.

Now it is simply a matter of you deciding what value the coach is to you and convincing the seller that is the price they want to sell it at.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
ok so I have my money all set ,and I go shopping ,4 dealers all within about 100 miles of me ,found 6MH -4 gas and 2 DP that I would be interested in from 2002 to 2007 all priced in the low 60s to about 70K write all info down come home look on nada ,ALL prices about 20K over book ,call 1 dealer up on a DP and he says we price all DPs higher than gassers YA but the book says 48K for this unit in good shape and your asking 69K DUH hello whats up with these people ,do they think we all fools

Check the classifieds here on IRV2 and also on RVTrader.com. I bet you can find individuals who will deal with you!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #41

I wouldn't count on the NADA value that the average consumer can access, as being particularly accurate.
I just looked up my 2014 Itasca Spirit 31K, which I've had for 2 years, and found the average retail value, before adding any options is $62,050. Adding options naturally makes it higher than that. This is a MH that I paid $60,000 for. I didn't realize I was buying an appreciating asset.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
ok so I have my money all set ,and I go shopping ,4 dealers all within about 100 miles of me ,found 6MH -4 gas and 2 DP that I would be interested in from 2002 to 2007 all priced in the low 60s to about 70K write all info down come home look on nada ,ALL prices about 20K over book ,call 1 dealer up on a DP and he says we price all DPs higher than gassers YA but the book says 48K for this unit in good shape and your asking 69K DUH hello whats up with these people ,do they think we all fools
Did the salesman justify asking 20K over NADA high book value other than to say they price them higher? Have you priced that same coach on the internet, from different dealers, like PPL motorhomes, etc? He is selling, you are buying, who has the upper hand-YOU!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer