Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Angry Don't understand dealers

ok so I have my money all set ,and I go shopping ,4 dealers all within about 100 miles of me ,found 6MH -4 gas and 2 DP that I would be interested in from 2002 to 2007 all priced in the low 60s to about 70K write all info down come home look on nada ,ALL prices about 20K over book ,call 1 dealer up on a DP and he says we price all DPs higher than gassers YA but the book says 48K for this unit in good shape and your asking 69K DUH hello whats up with these people ,do they think we all fools
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

You have their money in your pocket. Don't let them take it. Keep trying to get what you're comfortable with.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Shoot low and let them chew on it for a day or two. Or as some may say "let me talk to your boss".....
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
They are trying to make a living and some of them it looks like a very good living.

If they ask higher they can always go down, but if they start low I am not aware of any buyer who will say I think I should pay you more. You have the money and they have the toys. It is up to both of you to come to a point that you are both happy.

Pricing high is somewhat like MSRP. You can expect about 30% off of MSRP, why not a similar amount for the used.

One more thought. Who says NADA is the be all and end all? It is a recommendation by some folks who make a living at it. Who says they are right?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
KIX

Maybe you should buy from NADA.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Keep looking until you find what you want at the price you want to pay. I have no idea if NADA book values are representative of true real world value. Each person determines what something is worth to them at that time. Find the one that satisfies you and go for it. You could spend years shopping (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I would think you'd do better trying to buy from a private owner who's not interested in making a profit but just not interested in owning his MH any longer
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Private party. Why deal with over priced dealers?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #8

The money is yours and can only be spent if you allow it to be. The only problem is that from what I hear from my brother in law who owns two dealerships that buys/sells/refurbished used MH's is that things have changed since the economy has been recovering. The deals that once were are now hard to find and it is a sellers market to some degree. He does a great business and is pretty reasonable in his prices, but even his prices have increased due to his purchase costs and finding quality used MH's that haven't been abused.

The bottom line is Nada is an estimate, and the market at the time is the reality. If a dealer wants to sell something he still has to make a profit and will try and get whatever the market will bear. I would suggest looking elsewhere and see what is on the market in your price point, if they are all over the Nada estimate then you have to decide which MH is the best value for you or if you want to buy at all.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Keep looking until you find what you want at the price you want to pay. I have no idea if NADA book values are representative of true real world value. Each person determines what something is worth to them at that time. Find the one that satisfies you and go for it. You could spend years shopping (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I would think you'd do better trying to buy from a private owner who's not interested in making a profit but just not interested in owning his MH any longer
Be patient and buy wisely but. . . . . Every day you are sitting at home is a day you will not be able to use your RV.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog2 View Post
ok so I have my money all set ,and I go shopping ,4 dealers all within about 100 miles of me ,found 6MH -4 gas and 2 DP that I would be interested in from 2002 to 2007 all priced in the low 60s to about 70K write all info down come home look on nada ,ALL prices about 20K over book ,call 1 dealer up on a DP and he says we price all DPs higher than gassers YA but the book says 48K for this unit in good shape and your asking 69K DUH hello whats up with these people ,do they think we all fools
I had one dealer when I asked him about NADA v his sticker price he said, It help us with the financing/downpayment on the rigs. The do some creating accounting to make the deal come together and you still get near NADA price in the end. My thought, ummm, isn't that fraud? But I didn't say that out loud. The unit in question was advertised at 285K. Case price (or our own financing) was 199K. Needless to say we walked.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I try to sell my stuff outright instead of trading in and buy from private parties. Dealers have staff and a lot of overhead that private parties don't have. That's why, IMO, you'll usually get a better deal and a better RV when buying used from a proud owner.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Pricing high is somewhat like MSRP. You can expect about 30% off of MSRP, why not a similar amount for the used.

One more thought. Who says NADA is the be all and end all? It is a recommendation by some folks who make a living at it. Who says they are right?
Gordon I agree about the 30% or some such number. I like where your head is at.

As for NADA, since they use the wholesale trade in guide from NADA to base the offer for your trade, I'd say it's fair to toss NADA back at them when buying from them. NADA gets it's figures from actual transaction data so....

Anyway bottom line is if you offer what they are willing to take or vice versa it really doesn't matter what the book says or the price paid. You have to be willing to walk away from a deal you don't like.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #13

thank you all for the feed back, I know he has to make money ,but looking on line for the same makes of MHs across the country ,all my local guys are over priced ,and yes its a good thing to go find one in another state but iam raising two grandkids by myself and god knows I don't trust them ( 15-16) for more then a day by them selfs I guess there is always DUCT TAPE ,if I had to really go cross country to get one just kidding
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bulldog, look on Rvtrader, EBay, Craigslist, and in the Classifieds on this site. After looking at a zillion motorhomes, you should have a pretty good idea of what you want and their general asking prices.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer