Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 05:08 AM   #1

Door would not open

Last night the door to my coach would not open. It was not locked.

My buddy was in the coach so I passed him in tools to take the plate off the lock.

This happened in July 2016 also and had to calll a locksmith and the dealer replaced the lock. Since then I always leave a window unlocked when on trips.

AAA were no help what so ever.

I was able to keep the door closed with some cord but will need to look it to drive home.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

If you can post a photo of the lock inside and outside we can probably identify the brand and model and perhaps be of more help.

Ike
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
If you can post a photo of the lock inside and outside we can probably identify the brand and model and perhaps be of more help.

Ike
Thanks Isaac,

I managed to fix it, it was the latch on the screen door was out of line. All is good now.

I now know how to fix it if happens again.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

If your door lock is trimark, the plunger breaks and the lever won't be able to pull plunger in. Plunger is cheap die cast. I ordered hardened steel version from trimark....no more problems. They shouldn't even offer the cheap one
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
If your door lock is trimark, the plunger breaks and the lever won't be able to pull plunger in. Plunger is cheap die cast. I ordered hardened steel version from trimark....no more problems. They shouldn't even offer the cheap one
That's good to know about the plunger.

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
Same thing happened to me. The crazy thing is the piece that pushes against the plunger is plastic (at least on mine) but the metal plunger broke??? Doesn't make any sense.

Glad you got yours fixed.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks Isaac,

I managed to fix it, it was the latch on the screen door was out of line. All is good now.

I now know how to fix it if happens again.
Similar thing just happened to me. Was trapped in the RV. Had tools and had to stick my head and arm with screw driver through the sliding section of the screen door to get it open. Had to look hilarious to anyone watching.

It was the screen door handle. It broke right off. $15 bucks at the time on Amazon. And I ordered some extras. Now they are over $17

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #8

How come no one used their drivers side door?

Lol....that comment is probably gunna get me locked out of my camper. Ive been eyeballing that contraption ever since I found out about the possibility of the inside of the lock breaking. Not an if but when. Lol We have a regularly used drivers door so not too concerned. Just that at home there isn’t a lot of room to get the door open and squeeze the fat backside inside.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post

Lol....that comment is probably gunna get me locked out of my camper. Ive been eyeballing that contraption ever since I found out about the possibility of the inside of the lock breaking. Not an if but when. Lol We have a regularly used drivers door so not too concerned. Just that at home there isn’t a lot of room to get the door open and squeeze the fat backside inside.
I wish I had a drivers side door.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:

I did use mine. Wasn't locked out (or in) thank goodness.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

My drivers door only works from the inside... Surprising not more driver side doors on coaches.
Must look at that sometime.....

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Good reason for the reusable emergency exit door that some rv's have/offer. I wish we had one. Our lock messed up earlier this year but it was binding and requiring a pull on door handle to unlock. When top screw came out of handle lock stopped binding... It's on fix list for service in a couple of weeks. *sigh*

Tags
door