Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Downsizing

How many here have downsized from a Class A Motorhome to a Class C and have you survived it?
Due to health reasons I am considering doing just that, downsizing from a 38' Fleetwood Southwind to a whatever 32' Class C.
Have you done that and now regret it, just looking for your thoughts and ideas.

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did it, NO problem, other than getting rid of a bunch of stuff we never or infrequently used. Still have almost everything as far as amenities as we had in the pusher. But now can get into some camp areas we were too big for.

LEN

Old 11-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

A small Class A, gas or diesel would be an option also.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Just curious, what do you expect to get from downsizing? The only reason I ask is that in our early 70's and thinking of doing the reverse.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I don't see going from a 38 foot gas class A to a 32 foot Class C as downsizing. They both have the same systems to take care of. They both are about the same width. The 32' class C may have very little CCC, so you can't bring as much stuff. I would think downsizing would put you in the 25 to 26 foot Class B+/C size range. That's what I'm planning to do in 4 to 5 years when I get tired of driving my 36' Class A.

I'm not trying to criticize you, just trying to understand.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What am I doing?, thinking of going down to a shorter Class C built on a commercial truck chassis,gas, no diesel. Easier for the wife to drive since she don't drive the Southwind now. That could be changing though. Going 6' shorter maybe a little easier getting around and not giving up to much space.
We are not full timers and we are not planning to be, more like snow birds. We may decide to give it up all together and that is being discussed as well. I can't tAke care of the Southwind the way I'm accustomed to, thinking again the C might be a little easier.
That is what I'm thinking, I'm one year out of being a cancer survivor and I'm one lung short? Things just aren't what they once were!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

I have heard of several folks doing what you are talking about. It makes a big difference whether you are full or part time. Good luck with it.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
What am I doing?, thinking of going down to a shorter Class C built on a commercial truck chassis,gas, no diesel. Easier for the wife to drive since she don't drive the Southwind now. That could be changing though. Going 6' shorter maybe a little easier getting around and not giving up to much space.
We are not full timers and we are not planning to be, more like snow birds. We may decide to give it up all together and that is being discussed as well. I can't tAke care of the Southwind the way I'm accustomed to, thinking again the C might be a little easier.
That is what I'm thinking, I'm one year out of being a cancer survivor and I'm one lung short? Things just aren't what they once were!
Great discussion: I have had the class C and Class A all in the past 13 months. For me only, the Class A should give you more living space and better driving conditions for when you do make your seasonal moves. At my age I hunger for the comforts. My used Class A is pretty much a push button/remote controlled operation which takes the cardiovascular equation off the table as well. My Class C was 33' and nice but my 43' Class A is by far more comfortable for long stops and long drives. Also I hear length can be a hindrance but yet to experience this as an obstacle. Many OP's have stated enjoy your coach, the length has not been a real issue by most opinions I have read. The good news from your OP is you will continue to enjoy RV'ing what ever you decide.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RovinOn-

A recent iRV2 thread covers the same topic.

It sounds as if you've been through a lot in the past couple of years. I wish you all the best in your thinking and deciding.

Mark
Old 11-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After some long thoughts the Southwind gets a stay of disposal for now!
It is a great coach but we shall see!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

This sounds more like a "Super C", instead of a regular class C built on a chopped van chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinOn View Post
What am I doing?, thinking of going down to a shorter Class C built on a commercial truck chassis,gas, no diesel.... Easier for the wife to drive since she don't drive the Southwind now....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

We are looking at a Super C and a somewhat shorter coach. Really like the Jayco Seneca 34ss floorplan.
We had the 36' class A gasser for 10 years and then bought our 40' class A diesel last year. But have had issues with parking it in our storage space and some campgrounds.
Just as soon as we can get rid of the 40' class A diesel we can move forward (no pun intended); 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40' Diesel Coach - RV & Motorhome Classifieds