Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Sorry for my ignorance guys, but I too do not know what an air dryer filter is, I'll have to read up on it but can anyone give me a breif description and where it is on my 350 ISC? Thanks in advance for any info! I changed the air filter because there was a brand new one in the basement of my rig when I bought it, so I didn't know if the previous owner was getting ready to change or if he just kept one on hand.
The air dryer location is up to the chassis manufacturer on mine it is located right next to my fuel filter and water separator filter. The Air Dryer Filter is a stubby cannister that will spin off using a large strap wrench. The purpose of the air dryer filter/desicant is to remove possible moisture from your air braking system. I think most chassis manufacturers recommend replacement every three years. You can also buy after market filters but a lot are made in China or elsewhere overseas and for what an OEM costs you are only saving a few dollars so I buy the OEM brand.

buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
I did just changed mine today. Quick and simple...only a screwdriver needed. I had maint records indicating it was not needed by mileage and the maint minder showed it to be good. With it being new to us.......I did it so I know what I have to start with.
Hats off to Monaco....so easy any "mechanically challenged" person could have done it.

sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Well I finally got around to change my cartridge air filter I've had for 2 months. It was the original filter yep 5 years old but 16,000 miles. Easy install if the inside looked as clean as the new one. It was one of those projects I was dreading and I shouldn't have fairly easy.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Freightliner Owners Club
cmpncrsaider; The air dryer is 2 filters in a cannister that removes oil and water from the air brake system. Normally changed at 3 years (on my XCS chassis) (More often if you see water when you pull the air tank lanyards) Midland/ Haldex is usually the manufacturer.
Different models on different chassis-
Not a difficult DIY but very important to drain all air pressure from the brake system before working on the filter, or any part of the brake system....

Here is an article on replacing the "PureAirPlus" filters.

hope this helps
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I've got a new one ordered $116.00 I wish you could just change the element.
You might wish this but you don't have to worry about the seal around the filter like you do with a replaceable filter cartridge. Just get the inlet and outlet ends sealed and you're good to go.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
I've got a guaranteed 4 year/100,000 synthetic air filter in mine that outperforms cellulose and wet gauze filters in flow,filtration and dirt holding capacity. If you provide me with a part #, I can cross reference and see if one is available for you.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
Damon you guaranteeing it beings your selling them? What is the guarantee specifics? Who is going to back this guarantee if/when it fails? What will be done if engine is ruined due to filthy inlet air???
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Damon you guaranteeing it beings your selling them? What is the guarantee specifics? Who is going to back this guarantee if/when it fails? What will be done if engine is ruined due to filthy inlet air???
AMSOIL warranties all their AMSOIL, Donaldson, Wix and Mann filters and oil. Details available on their website. Thank you for your question.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
The manual indicator attached right on the air intake are very reliable. They record (lock in) at the highest draw seen. I buy them a Catrepillar. Had a shop with a 300hp dyno and measured before and after HP on filters that LOOKED completely plugged and the guage indicated they were still ok. NO DIFFRENCE. Started the policy of never changing the filter until indicator was at 20. Saved the fleet $100,000 per year in filter cost only, not counting labor or premature engine wear. With operators blowing out filters and messing with them (looking) our silicon was way high. New air filter policy and silicon in oil dropped to the teens. For rigs that go 22 with a new filter. That rig needs to be reengineered.

oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote