Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

DP mid ship door

I saw DP drive by and it has the door about a 1/4 way down, like a gasser would have, this started me thinking how much easer it would be to load up , and general use, just getting in and out without moving the passenger seat. I’m thinking it’s time to rebuild my bus(been 8 years since I converted ) so I’m thinking of moving the entrance door.
Might have to stay put this winter and do this.
What do you think? If your door was set up mid ship like a gasser would you not like the floor plans as much? Personally as i get older and slower I think it would be better, and no I don’t want to get a gasser
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

We love ours. Easy to load up.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3019.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	527.6 KB
ID:	215948
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #3

It’s a matter of personal opinion, but I like the side entry more than the front entry. I think, though, that the side entry needs to be between the front “salon” seating area and the kitchen, and not directly behind the passenger front seat, as some are. I have given some consideration to moving the entry door from front to side, and am in a uniquely opportune position to do so. Even then, it is a daunting task that I am not sure I want to touch. I am not a welder, so I would have to hire one. I’d love to see someone else tackle this job so I could see some of the inevitable unintended consequences that must be dealt with.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
During driving periods a front door is better. A mid door would be better in escape from the bedroom. I've had both, and don't care which one we have.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are a few diesel models that have mid door entries, they're just not popular. The main issue, it interferes with the floorplan design. You have to design things around the door, rather than having a blank wall to work with. It also eliminates a slide on that side, where many like an opposing slide to open up the room.

Obviously, some people like them, but not enough to make them a popular design.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #6

I'm not sure who they are not popular with. Could be the buyers and could be the manufacturers. Since most start out as bus bodies the latter would not surprise me.

FWIW It's one of the many reasons we will never bother with a DP. SWMBO does not like the door there. As far as that goes I'm getting to really not like not having a drivers door. Another one of those manufacturer dropped features.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #7

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There are a few diesel models that have mid door entries, they're just not popular. The main issue, it interferes with the floorplan design. You have to design things around the door, rather than having a blank wall to work with. It also eliminates a slide on that side, where many like an opposing slide to open up the room.

My 88 beaver is a dp with mid door. I would rather have a front door bus with tag, but this my was priced right and serves our needs
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

DP mid ship door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

You sure?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2536.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	215974
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

I like our mid entry. The kitchen is to the left as you come up the stairs and the slideout is across from the stairs.

What I don't particularly like is the short "love seat" that was crammed in between the passenger seat and the stairs. I might be able to put something else like a storage unit with a televator there but haven't spent enough time in her yet to decide.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I like our mid entry. The kitchen is to the left as you come up the stairs and the slideout is across from the stairs.

What I don't particularly like is the short "love seat" that was crammed in between the passenger seat and the stairs. I might be able to put something else like a storage unit with a televator there but haven't spent enough time in her yet to decide.

We intend to do ours the same way. A cabinet directly behind the passenger seat, with televator and accessories. 45 degree angle on the front side, so the front passenger seat passenger becomes part of the salon when turned around.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
There are MFG's of diesel powered class A coaches that do have a mid coach door option...
Just keep your eye out for an older used Newell/Foretravel or Prevost conversion.
That said...To create a mid-coach entry on an existing front door coach or in your case converted school bus would be a daunting task..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I LOVE my mid entry DP. My copilot gets her own spot over there, I got mine over here, and nobody interferes with either. I don't have to climb over her stuff to get out to fuel, heck, she can just stay reclined and asleep with the foot rest up and the doggy in her lap. When camped, everything is half a coach away at most, the mid entry is closer to where I'm going, usually the fridge, maybe the wc, possibly the wardrobe for a sweatshirt, grab some chips on the way out. When camped, I rarely go inside to access the cockpit, the front door seems less advantageous to me. BIGGIE>>The copilot windows afforded with a mid entry coach are so much better, no wall and door pillars to mess with, and the smaller windows that result. Her side window is bigger than mine.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

My favorites are the mid-1990s Holiday Rambler Navigators. 1995 is the last year with no slides. 1996 has a single slide. Later models are a complete redesign. A local friend has a ‘95 40-footer that is just fantastic.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Jake21".....I'm absolutely positive. I never said they didn't make any. I said they're just not that popular. Take note of the other posts....most of them are talking about older coaches when they tried to push the mid door concept. You won't see that many, if any now in a full sized DP.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door