Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #1

DP vs Super 'C'

I have always wondered why a company would build a Super 'C' RV. Seems that a DP would win hands down - it can usually tow as much, they cost about the same and a DP is much nicer. I am talking about the Jayco Seneca and Embark or the Gulfstream Endura and Super Nova.
So why buy a Super 'C'?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, but some folks just feel more comfortable in the car-like cab of a "C" rather than an "A". Plus there are floor plan differences in C vs A that may appeal to some folks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
The super C is so.......macho
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

The answer is . . . because they WANT TO, for whatever reason. To me, this is a "why is there air" question. IMHO

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I think some of the SuperCs offer very high towing capacity (10-15k (I think I might have seen even higher)) at a cheaper price than a DP with comparable towing (to get 15k towing DP, I think you really need to get a heavy duty chassis which are typically on the more expensive motorhomes).

Cs and SuperCs also often have more readily available sleeping capacity than As so are often a better choice for families (e.g. how many DPs sleep 6 without having people sleeping on the sofa and / or dinette).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Most class A diesel chassis offer a minimum of 10k towing capacity (unless equipped with a lower rated tranny, e.g. the Allison 1000MH or 2000MH series).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd go for the super C with a KW or Pete chassis.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Most class A diesel chassis offer a minimum of 10k towing capacity (unless equipped with a lower rated tranny, e.g. the Allison 1000MH or 2000MH series).
From what I've seen, a lot of the low end DPs only have 5k towing. I'd agree that most mid-end DPs do have 10k (but not more) and many DPs with tag have 15k. But I think a new DP with tag is a good $300k-$400k and up. How many DPs have 18k towing? (American Heritage, Monaco Dynasty, Newmar King Air, etc all have 15k) I haven't found too much detailed specs on the SuperC but some of the brochures say 'up to 18k towing capacity' and I think the price is around the same as the low end (5k towing) DPs.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I will say in our case we went with the c for floor plan, ours has a garage on back to bring motorcycles and also tow our car or trailer up to 15k, also easily sleeps 2 families of 4 with seperate sleeping quarters or 5 adults each with thier own bed. at the time the only other option i found was a 5th wheel and then i would have had to buy a truck, so for us the c worked better, there are many more choices out there that we did not see or know about such as the damon outlaw and alike, gets about 7-7.5 GPM not much different than a large DP
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

I met a fellow recently who built his own Super 'C' on a (brand new) Volvo chassis at a sign shop, he was getting it striped up before heading to Florida for the winter.

He said he did very little of the work himself, the truck dealer lined him up with the folks that put the body (a conventional aluminum body, but with skirts below frame rails and storage tills) on the chassis. He then had a local cabinetry shop build out the interior which looks to be far better built than much I've seen even in million dollar bus rigs. The final step was the upholstery shop that did the final touches and the flooring shop.

He said he looked at a Prevost and a couple of other high end units. His comment was that he "saved enough doing it this way to buy a small house with the savings".

From my point of view, I've driven a few highway coaches, and I've driven plenty of tractor trailers, I'd take the tractor every day of the week over the bus.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #11

I've seen some good looking super c's.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #12

I double checked and the super C do tow more. I think the Jayco Embark would tow at least 15k. The same price DP would tow 10k. Also I do agree that some of the floor plans of a super C come with bunks - I don't think I have seen a DP with bunks. I see Jayco no longer builds the Embark - probably overlapped with the Seneca too much.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I double checked and the super C do tow more. I think the Jayco Embark would tow at least 15k. The same price DP would tow 10k. Also I do agree that some of the floor plans of a super C come with bunks - I don't think I have seen a DP with bunks. I see Jayco no longer builds the Embark - probably overlapped with the Seneca too much.
The Palazzo 33.2 has bunks. One owner converted the bunks into a huge liquor cabinet.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
When you get a chance look at the Fleetwood Discovery. They have 2 bunk model floor plans. Additionally, Winnie, Tiffin, Newmar, and Thor manufacture bunk DPs. There are probably more, but that was my quick list.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote