Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Drain Ice Maker or Not?

Hi,

We've just bought a new(er) motorhome and this one's got an ice maker. Normally when we get back from camping, we completely unload the refrig, turn it off, wipe it down, and prop the doors open until it airs out completely to keep it fresh and not moldy. Now I'm wondering what people do with ice maker? Or am I being too anal about this? It just seems to me that if that water, even that small amount sets in there, it will leave a trace of 'yucky' even if we throw the first batch of ice cubes away the next time out. Just wondering what, if anything, we should do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion- IMO,

If you have well water in your rig, clean it out.

If you have city water, which almost all public water sources supply, with chlorine in it, your good to go. Leave it alone.

To drain it you must "sop" it out with a towel or some such cloth.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
On the occasions I'm at a place where I'm running the ice maker I just turn the water off at the valve then let the ice maker cycle a few times. This gets the water out of the actual maker as ice, lines are of course still full.

This way I don't have water sitting in the freeze tray getting things growing in it. I leave the door open after I dump what's left, wipe down the inside and turn the unit off.

Ours has a stand alone unit under the counter, a built in shouldn't be too much different.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We don't drain ours unless it is being winterized.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

It doesn't take very long for the water to evaporate in this heat.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In our coach, we use two towels in the kitchen, one hand towel and one dish towel. When we arrive home from a trip, we empty the refrigerator and I throw one of the towels in left side of the freezer and one in the right side of the freezer and leave all four doors propped open.

A day or so later, I remove both towels, wiping out the water that accumulated on the floor of the freezer. I use one of the towels to soak up the water in the ice maker. I push the towel down into the ice maker a couple of times absorbing most of the water.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

If you turn off the water supply to the icemaker (or disconnect a wire to the supply solinoid) and keep the fridge and icemaker on for 12 hours, almost all of the water will be used up. Easy thing to do on the last day of your trip.

As stated earlier, evaporation will take care of the rest in warm weather with the doors open.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice from everyone! For this trip, I've used the sopping up method. And for next time, I'll be looking for the shutoff valve on the water supply on the last day. That's excellent advice! Thank you again!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
If you turn off the water supply to the icemaker (or disconnect a wire to the supply solinoid) and keep the fridge and icemaker on for 12 hours, almost all of the water will be used up. Easy thing to do on the last day of your trip.

As stated earlier, evaporation will take care of the rest in warm weather with the doors open.
X2!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post

This is what we do. No "yuccky" cubes when you start up for your next trip
Old 09-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The towels are a great idea to empty the tray. If you are winterizing, use the Norcold (or whomever) instructions. With Norcold, you need to turn off and disconnect the supply line at the water solenoid and let the fridge go through a couple of dump cubes/fill cycles to allow the water in the line and solenoid to drain out. The is best done the last time you are actually using the icemaker - before you power it off as it must be freezing to go through the dump/fill cycles. I missed this step in the insructions but had disconnected the supply line at the solenoid and the water in the solenoid did not drain and froze - breaking the solenoid. If you don't need to winterize, we just do as the others have suggested.

bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote