Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

Dried/Cracked Fuel Filler Hose

Was getting excited to fill up the gas tank in our 'new to us' Bounder - Got to half a tank and decided to take a drive to a local Cumberland Farms Gas station where I have seen other commercial vehicles fill up and wouldn't you know:
$11 into the fill up, I see a very consistent drip underneath.

Pump was safely put back, spill was cleaned up and I left. Quick inspection led to a cracked fuel filler hose. My model had a 13" long 2" OD black rubber hose connecting the filler neck to another pipe that leads to the tank.

A quick trip to NAPA - got the exact replacement and 15 minutes later, I'm leak free.

Anyway - the hose that was replaced was VERY dried/cracked. I just didn't expect a hose in that location to get the elements to damage a hose like that in a relatively short period of time.

Is this normal?
A search led to some threads on a similar topic but others appear to have a straight hose from the filler neck to under the storage tanks.
Also, who controls the fuel line design? Chassis or RV Company?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

If the hose is in a location where road salt could sit on it , then accelerated deterioration could be expected. JMHO.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like an inferior piece of rubber hose was used originally or perhaps a previous owner did this. No it is not normal. Mine is 15 years old, is 3/16 thick and still looks like new if it weren't for some road dust.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Oh That is an excellent point in which I have not thought of yet.
Thank you!

That may be exactly why that aged quickly*. All that good New England salt/sand kicking up back there is definitely not helping!

*Again, quickly is 10 years which is not THAT quick, however, in terms of hose longevity, it seemed quick to me.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced the filler hose on one side of my 2004 diesel about a year ago. It had cracked near where it entered the tank.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Rubber is subject to cracking from exposure to ozone, a product of sunlight and hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides, common byproducts of auto exhaust. Tire rubber is often treated or has additives to reduce this damage, but most other rubbers do not.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Some gas inlet lines are realy large.

I was pumping gas a couple of years ago when I saw gas leaking from under my R.V. so when I took my M.H. to a shop to have it repaired they replace the gas line that went from the inlet to the tank to the toon of over $300.00.
I thought that was a lot but when I came back to pick up my M.H. they had a double hose one looked to be about two to three inches in diameter and about 10 feet long. I could not believe it when I saw it.

Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall, some Workhorse chassis had a recall in the fuel hose.
Another reason to look under the hood and crawl under the coach and inspect everything including all hoses and brake lines.
Regular Preventive Maintenance and inspections prevents loss time and expensive surprises. Engine and exhaust heat, chemicals, road debris, vehicle movement, rain, salt, and chemicals affects everything made of rubber and plastics.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #9

Hmm, now that i am thinking about it, I am wondering why this wasnt caught with my pre-sale RV inspection - performed by an RV repair shop.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hteixeira View Post
Hmm, now that i am thinking about it, I am wondering why this wasnt caught with my pre-sale RV inspection - performed by an RV repair shop.
I doubt if the shop put any fuel in the tank! Another thread on here mentioned that "TV fell out on Interstate" and wondered why they didn't discover the TV wasn't bolted down in pre-sale inspection.

Think about it. If a shop did find every issue and repaired it, you couldn't afford the RV. If they find a problem and don't repair or disclose, they might be liable. They give a cursory check, count the things they've checked, then advertise a "200 point inspection." but of course there are THOUSANDS of things that could be inspected or be an issue in a used vehicle. Due diligence is the responsibility of the buyer, not the seller.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #11

It was probably inferior hose to begin with. Then age took over.
Check your air return line, it also may be dried & cracking (those were sometimes not fuel rated, but should have been). If fuel burps back into one of those, you'd have another leak.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
. Due diligence is the responsibility of the buyer, not the seller.
Agreed - however, when one of the items is a 'full undercarriage/chassis inspection', I'd guess he would have seen the fuel hose starting to split on the end of the hose clamps. Granted, I didn't catch it when looking under there, but I had only looked at about 5-6 under there during my motorhome search. Not 25 years worth of 'looking' experience....

Anyway - we're all now. I certainly don't have regrets on that inspection since it did save me much more money on the sale price than the cost of the inspection itself!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Also Ethanol extended fuel were not as prevalent in 2003. That will degrade fuel lines as well. Did you use hose rated for fuel or something like a universal radiator hose?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #14

Definitely fuel related hose. Went to Napa and they had fuel filler hoses in that size for ~$15/ft. I needed 14 inches.

Tags
fuel