Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2003, 06:11 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert-W:
In a recent post you mentioned that it takes time to get used to the Like-Air Ride and the sway problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The purpose of my post was to encourage a new WCC owner to get to know their motorhome's over the road performance for a few hundred miles before they determine that they have a issue that they believe needs resolving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(1) Will these modifications take care of this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Depending on what kind of motorhome you have on your Workhorse chassis you may have a problem and then again you may not. Some folks will do well without any modifications. I for instance, at 38ft., 2in. believe that I have an issue with a lot of weight being in the position of leverage in the rear of the motorhome and the Super-Steer track bar has effectively removed the rear of the motorhome from any physics that may be effecting the front of the motorhome. Previously the rear would be magnifying anything that was happening in the front of the motorhome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(2) Since you work closely with the Workhorse people. Can you make suggestions addressing this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>At the conclusion of this particular project, I will certainly document my experiences and forward them to the appropriate engineer types at Workhorse. There is nothing cast in stone that WCC is obliged to add additional components to the chassis because as the chassis leaves the factory, the OEMs actually have more to do with how the chassis is loaded. The W22 as delivered to the OEMs is the preeminent gas powered chassis in production today and for the foreseeable future even considering FMC's introduction of their next gen F53.

One thing that I feel comfortable with is that with all of "our" after market experiences that we have applied and can adequately document, we may generate interest at the OEM level to apply these solutions to certain models of motorhomes that are delivered to customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(3)I notice the people on the See Ya post can have their problem answered if their problem seem to merit it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe that I have been effective in obtaining answers for our members that have had problems with the Workhorse component of their motorhome. I work first hand with the technical support engineers at WCC and they are very good about responding to member's questions. More often I usually provide our member with the necessary contact information so that they can resolve their problems first hand.

The folks at Workhorse do not have the resources to respond in kind to posts directly made in these forums so if I get wind of something or if a members sends me an e-mail I can usually get the ball rolling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(4)Can the Newmar people make these modifications an option for people like me who are not comfortable tackling such a problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Newmar folks are not really obligated to make global chassis modifications, however I can't speak for them you would have to ask them. From what I have seen in the Net Carrying Capacity of some of the MA gas platforms, Newmar is putting a lot of coach on that chassis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(5)Does this affect the warranty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Magnuson Moss applies in its entirety here and the aftermarket components would have to have been found to have contributed to the failure of a covered component before the OEM would refuse to honor a warranty claim. At that point the aftermarket producer would have to cover the damages if it is determined that the aftermarket component damaged a covered component. For instance if a chassis stretch fails that Winnebago Industries accomplished on either a FMC or WCC product the chassis builder is not liable but the OEM is.

Whew Am I done yet ....? I hope I amswewred your questions.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #16

DriVer, you answered my questions and I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer them. I am taking my time trying to get all the information I can about my next RV. Your input and knowledge on the W22 chassis is making it easier for me to choose this chassis. Your unit is very impressive and I am adding it to my list.

1995 Sun Sport by Gulfstream & 2000 Saturn

Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #17

Ordered my SS-302 yesterday. Thanks for all the info DriVer. Looking forward to installing this on our new Adventurer.

03 Winnebago Adventurer 38G/Workhorse W22 - 22.5" Tires
97 Buick Park Avenue
Blue Ox Aventa II - Unified Tow Brake by U.S. Gear
REMCO Transmission Lube Pump
Old 04-23-2003, 07:32 AM   #18

Michaels,
When you recive your SS-302, be sure to check for all the parts in the little hardware bag, I was missing all of the lock washers and 4 nuts. I call Henderson's and they are shipping it out today. It's a good thing I was not going to do it this weekend, I would have been a little PO'd.

cad_man

Newmar 2003 Kountry Star
Workhorse W22 8.1l Allison
KSCA3301
KG6JIY

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Missing Hardware

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cad_man:
When you receive your SS-302, be sure to check for all the parts in the little hardware bag, I was missing all of the lock washers and 4 nuts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>cad_man, Wow! can't believe that they would have forgotten the lock-washers. Good thing though lock washers are easily obtainable at any hardware store however they should have ben included in the kit.

All my hardware was present by the way. Regarding the 4 nuts, the instruction sheet states that you should remove and retain the 4 nuts off of the bumper so I was a bit confused when 4 new nuts came in the kit. We used the new nuts of course.

By the way you will probably need more than the single tie wrap they included in the kit. I used 4 ties in my installation, so have some more ties available.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 04-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #20

Driver
When I called Henderson's yesterday, I talked to Chris. He was not very happy that the parts were missing. He stated that an outside vendor makes up the instalation kits. He said they would have to go through all of the kits to make sure all part were there. I did get 2 extra locking nuts though. I have no idea what to do with them, but they are there.
I have enough tie wraps to arrest half the state of California, I just need to get some more of the thread lock before I start.
cad_man

Newmar 2003 Kountry Star
KSCA3301
KG6JIY

Old 04-24-2003, 10:17 AM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cad_man:
I did get 2 extra locking nuts though. I have no idea what to do with them, but they are there. I just need to get some more of the thread lock before I start.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>cad_man, You can start a Henderson's Line-Up lock nut collection.

By the way when you're shopping for lock-tight get the RED stuff. PS: Don't get that stuff on your fingers.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 04-24-2003, 11:05 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DriVer:
[
By the way when you're shopping for lock-tight get the RED stuff. PS: Don't get that stuff on your fingers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My SS-302 should be here soon, maybe today. Now I realise that my Suncruiser is slightly different than the Adventurer. So my question to you is - Do you think I should put a set of wrap around mirrors around the bar to give it that kitcheny look?

Also, I've gotten the red LockTite on my hands and other materials before (I never use the blue stuff - too weak). It's easy to remove. It only locks up under pressure, like when threads are tightened. So the secret here is that if you do get some on your finger, don't stick it in any nasal cavities or anyplace that you may want to remove it from.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V - Workhorse 20
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #23

Cad_man,
Thanks for the heads up on the hardware, I'll keep my eyes open! It's due here Monday the 28th. Just love opening boxes!

03 Winnebago Adventurer 38G/Workhorse W22 - 22.5" Tires
97 Buick Park Avenue
Blue Ox Aventa II - Unified Tow Brake by U.S. Gear
REMCO Transmission Lube Pump
Old 04-30-2003, 05:50 PM   #24

Driver.

I'm glad that the Henderson trac-bar helped your problem but why in the world should anyone have to spend that kind of money to make their new motorhome handle properly? I understand the mechanics of why the problem may exist, but shouldn't the motorhome manufacturers be responsible for producing a product that handles well? We wouldn't tolerate this in our cars why, WHY do we tolerate in our motorhomes?

"No matter where you go,there you are"
97 Jayco Designer 3510 RLS w/2 slides
2001 Chevrolet 2500HD,xcab,LB,8.1,Allison,4:10

2004 Montana 3575 RL
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 04:05 AM   #25
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Please Let Henderson's Know

I was wondering if you folks could do me a favor.... If you have read this article, and as a result have called Henderson's for more information or in in fact have ordered product from them, "Please" let them know that your interest in their product was initiated here on iRV2.com. It would be a BIG help.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 05-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #26

DriVer,
When I orderd my Track Bar From Henderson's (2 days after your article was posted), I mentioned you by name and the article on IRV2.com. They had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe it was too soon after you posted.

cad_man

Newmar 2003 Kountry Star
KSCA3301
KG6JIY

[This message was edited by cad_man on Fri May 02 2003 at 02:30 PM.]

Old 05-05-2003, 05:47 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
DriVer,
Mission accomplished, with your help.

My new Henderson SS-302 installation on my 35U Adventurer has just made my motorhome extremely enjoyable to drive. What a difference!!

Regardless of whether the factory (Winnebago)should have installed it or not, (they should have), it is one piece of underpinnings that I would not be without. Installed it in under an hour with the help of my mechanically inclined son. I even knew to have extra Lok-tite on hand BEFORE I opened the box!!!

The next project tonight is the front shocks. Yep, I bought the adjustable Koni's for the front. I-84 west of Hartford made a believer out of me that I need to control the front end bounce a little better. I'll let you all know how it went and how it rides when I'm done. Thanks to you DriVer for all the help. See ya around.

Ron & Kathy
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
W22 Workhorse, 22.5 Tires, Koni shocks (front);Henderson SS-302 TracBar
FMCA #F327277
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:47 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
RVRon,

I'll be very interested in your critique of the Koni's. I'm going to install the Henderson bar later this month.

Terry

Terry & Linda; plus LeMeiux & Hurakan the Burmese cats
'03 Kountry Star 3740 W22, US Gear Unified tow brake, Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar, '02 Jeep Wrangler