Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Don't mean to open a can of worms but does anybody know the actual requirements for allowable weights of vehicles driven in various states. My Florida license states that I can operate any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. As my coach is rated at 27,900 lbs. Add 4,000 for the towed and I guess I am technically running illegally.

lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Don't mean to open a can of worms but does anybody know the actual requirements for allowable weights of vehicles driven in various states. My Florida license states that I can operate any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. As my coach is rated at 27,900 lbs. Add 4,000 for the towed and I guess I am technically running illegally.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's a link to a thread we had recently about this. Also, this website might help you.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Richard,

Thank you, that was all very helpful and well worth keeping handy as you travel.

Mike
Old 08-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Don't mean to open a can of worms but does anybody know the actual requirements for allowable weights of vehicles driven in various states. My Florida license states that I can operate any non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs. As my coach is rated at 27,900 lbs. Add 4,000 for the towed and I guess I am technically running illegally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FL exempts RV's from CDL so you can drive over 26,000#

-----------------------------------------------
The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of authorized emergency vehicles that are equipped with extraordinary audible warning devices that display red or blue lights and are on call to respond to emergencies;or
Military personnel driving military vehicles; or
Farmers transporting farm supplies or farm machinery, or transporting agricultural products to or from the first place of storage or processing or directly to or from market, within 150 miles of their farm; or

Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes;
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

ecker,
I'm in the process of moving to Aiken, SC and purchasing a Class A diesel pusher. Your profile caught my attention and would like to send you a private message if you would so allow. Thanks.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Be careful of thinking that you don't need to upgrade your license because a MH is CDL exempt. A lot of states,such as Texas, do require that you get a NON-CDL upgrade on your license to prove that you can handle a big coach. And I believe that all states should do it - - that's a lot of kinetic energy going down the road and can do a lot of harm. I shudder whenever I see someone using a walker, haul themselves up into a big coach and take off.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
ecker,
I'm in the process of moving to Aiken, SC and purchasing a Class A diesel pusher. Your profile caught my attention and would like to send you a private message if you would so allow. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO Problem
Old 08-26-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lthrnk:
Thank you, that was all very helpful and well worth keeping handy as you travel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just to be sure you are aware, you don't have to meet the requirements of each state you drive through. You only have to meet the requirements of your home state.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:56 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
PAZ,

Thank you for the reply re: license req.

I especially want to thank you for your wonderful pictures and commentary on your travels. Not only informative but a fun read. We too will be hitting the road next April/May after my retirement and would really enjoy catching up with you somewhere in this wonderful country of ours. Mike