Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Driveway for home storage

We have our 36' class a along side our home behind an RV gate on a large gravel driveway. We want to replace the large gravel, which are uncomfortable to walk on and impossible to crawl under the RV on, with something better suited to the job. Decomposed granite has been suggested.
-
I understand a thick concrete slab would be best, but considering the total length involved would be over budget. Any ideas as to a good material and depth.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Asphalt grindings if you can find some will make a really nice hard packed surface to park on.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

That's what we used for my Mother's dirt road and back driveway (front drive is concrete). Makes a great improvement!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not recommend Decomposed Granite (DG)...it will turn to granite "sand" under weight and with age - yes, have DG in several parts of our yard. But, it's very pretty to look at - at first.

I would look for a more stable natural stone gravel and if it is "tumbled" or small river stone, it will not have the sharp edges seen on some gravel products.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

I would recommend crush and run. It is gravel mixed with gravel dust and when you compact it will give an smooth and hard surface. Not hard enough to use a creeper, but smooth enough to schooch around on your back. You will need to use jack pads with it.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Type 2 base rock compacts very well and is made for putting under concrete. When mixed with water and compacted, it stays hard and flat a long time. If you do stir it up, you just re-wet it and compact it again. Best part it is budget friendly.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a DG (decomposed granite) rear driveway and RV parking pad. Has worked well for about 10 years. Very solid. No deterioration. Was installed as an alternative to costly concrete. Planning to add a 20x20 carport for the Jeep and pickup truck parking. Will use DG again there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRevell View Post
That's what we used for my Mother's dirt road and back driveway (front drive is concrete). Makes a great improvement!
Which did you use, the decomposed granite I mentioned, or the asphalt grindings the other poster suggested?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crushed granite will work with the proper base and properly packed. An alternate is re-milled asphalt....proper base and properly packed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I built ours I just used 3/4"- over the bare earth (in our case clay). The minus meaning that the rock dust is still there. The I have added some 3/8"- over the years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a reminder, any petroleum product (like asphalt) is not good for your tires in long term parking. If you go with the asphalt grindings you need to put something under the tires. Rock, concrete, crushed run all are a better, less hassle choice IMHO.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Parking on asphalt bad???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Just a reminder, any petroleum product (like asphalt) is not good for your tires in long term parking. If you go with the asphalt grindings you need to put something under the tires. Rock, concrete, crushed run all are a better, less hassle choice IMHO.
I was just wondering where you read this or heard this? I would think most tires spend their entire life on asphalt, parked and driving.........New autos, Coach's , etc. sitting sometimes for a year or better on dealer lots. I would be more concerned while parked on asphalt in warm weather of sinking or rutting problems. Just wondering after reading your post...
Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I was just wondering where you read this or heard this? I would think most tires spend their entire life on asphalt, parked and driving.........New autos, Coach's , etc. sitting sometimes for a year or better on dealer lots. I would be more concerned while parked on asphalt in warm weather of sinking or rutting problems. Just wondering after reading your post...
I was taught at Camp Freightliner to have something between your tires and the ground, even concrete. Just when sitting for long periods. That's where I heard it. As for the dealers, what do they care how long your coach tires last or if you have a blowout.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I was taught at Camp Freightliner to have something between your tires and the ground, even concrete. Just when sitting for long periods. That's where I heard it. As for the dealers, what do they care how long your coach tires last or if you have a blowout.
Just wondering still........what did they consider a long period of time?
Did they actually give you a time frame?