Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #43

Last winter we went to Granbury TX and ended up in an ice storm. Planned on staying 3 days but waited for a full five to go back to Dallas. The roads there were clear but they had "cobblestone" ice built up on bridges. It took us 7 hours to go 120 miles or less. Wish we had waited 2 more days but not retired yet and ran out of options.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Pictures of travel in the snow;Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	75554

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	75555

Name:	IMG_1541.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	75556

Name:	IMG_1543.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	344.3 KB
ID:	75557
Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Boy that is one dirty rv. LOL It's absolutely horrifying how mother nature can make a real big mess of things.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Out of 12 trips (one way) from home to our RV lot we have only had 1 trip on dry pavement. Got stuck last year in about 8" of snow in a rest stop. Used 4x4 to get moving.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 AM   #47

The trick with snow is. Pretending your driving through water. Take it slow and easy so you don't get stuck. I have driven my car through 12 inches of snow many times and never got stuck. Just don't make any sudden moves and keep the tires rolling slowly. I really don't like snow much. I guess that's why I run away to Arizona in the winter. LOL :0
Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
About the question of tire chains, I drove for 30+ years as a O/O trucker, the chain's hung on a rack under the trailer, they were new when they were hung there, and they were new, (very rusty) when I sold the trailer! If it is bad enough to have to put chain's on, it is too bad for me, my truck and trailer, and now my MH! You are way better off to just sit back, relax, and watch the stupid people tear up their stuff! Always carry at least a weeks supplys with you in the winter, I always had enough water, food, and warm clothes to last me for a month, if needed! Keep the tanks full, never let them get below a 1/2! My truck was self contained, just like the MH! I have had to sit for 2 or 3 days, waiting for the roads to clear, but that is very rare, most of the time the roads are cleared up in hours. Just wait till after all the (in the hurry) people leave, and do not get caught up in their mess! Enjoy the snow!!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
About the question of tire chains, I drove for 30+ years as a O/O trucker, the chain's hung on a rack under the trailer, they were new when they were hung there, and they were new, (very rusty) when I sold the trailer! If it is bad enough to have to put chain's on, it is too bad for me, my truck and trailer, and now my MH! You are way better off to just sit back, relax, and watch the stupid people tear up their stuff! Always carry at least a weeks supplys with you in the winter, I always had enough water, food, and warm clothes to last me for a month, if needed! Keep the tanks full, never let them get below a 1/2! My truck was self contained, just like the MH! I have had to sit for 2 or 3 days, waiting for the roads to clear, but that is very rare, most of the time the roads are cleared up in hours. Just wait till after all the (in the hurry) people leave, and do not get caught up in their mess! Enjoy the snow!!
I have heard that cable chains are actually. The rumor is they do less damage if they break. Yes I have to agree with you. If it's that bad, just sleep in for a couple of days.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #50

Bad weather? Snow?

Taken at Canaan Valley State Park in West Virginia. The BigD did real well in the snow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ski Caanan 2005 002.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	75906  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Before I retired I was paid to get my load to the spot that my boss wanted it to be. He usually gave me a schedule and fully expected me to be there "then" and not a minute later! He did not care if the road was black ice or 18"s of snow, That load was still expected! During all those years I saw about every type of weather that one could expect, including 90MPH wind with whiteout conditions. When I finally was able to get the load where he wanted it to be the question was always "Why are you late?"

The best suggestion that I can give you "Is if you don't have to be driving there, don't"
Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Before I retired I was paid to get my load to the spot that my boss wanted it to be. He usually gave me a schedule and fully expected me to be there "then" and not a minute later! He did not care if the road was black ice or 18"s of snow, That load was still expected! During all those years I saw about every type of weather that one could expect, including 90MPH wind with whiteout conditions. When I finally was able to get the load where he wanted it to be the question was always "Why are you late?"

The best suggestion that I can give you "Is if you don't have to be driving there, don't"
Very good advise, LD, I was very lucky, I hauled Slot machines, in my own truck and trailer, and we almost always had a couple of days extra, in the winter months, to get the load there. And all of the deliverys were time sensitive, and had gaming, installers, all waiting, for the truck to get there on time, if the weather was really bad, they would just make another appt. time. It did not happen very often! I was usually sitting there a day or two early! As for putting the cables on, or the tire chains on, no load or tight time table would make me do that or risk my equiptment to damage that they can do! I was the one that payed the repair bills, if that should happen! If a tire chain or cable breaks at 25 mph, and just one strand is hitting your equiptment, it can do 100's to 1000's of dlr's damage before you can get stopped! Not worth the risk! Period!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is fascinating stuff, thanks everyone!

I'm a newbie to RV's but I grew up and learned how to drive in the winters of Northern California (they ain't no Colorado Rockies, but they were a lot worse when I was a kid. Anyone ever drive over Saint Helena Mountain in January? Brrrrrrrr...)

Anyway, I was wondering - to all those folks who boondocked in truck stops or rest areas to wait out the storm, did any stranded motorists ever knock on your door to use the bathroom or just to get warm for a while?

I not comfortable with the idea of letting complete strangers in my rig, but I wouldn't be able to say no to freezing children. How do you handle it? Is there a protocol that goes above and beyond just being a decent human being?

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well Wryly, I think that would depend on the circumstances, how long you have been there, and if you were truly stranded. In a truck stop, they have bathrooms, and food, so, it really never came up. Same at a rest area, most have restrooms, with heat, to keep the pipes from freezing. I did get stranded in Cape Girardeau, Mo. for 3 days in a blizzard, it snowed so hard and was blowing, it drifted over the hood of my KW, after I got stuck in the middle of town, trying to make it up a hill. I had a full tank of fuel, so I just sat there watching it snow, and after a couple of hours a lady came up to my door and ask if I was ok, and if I needed to use the restroom in her house. I said yes, and did she have a insta-matic camera, she said she did. So I walked to her house, got the camera, took a couple of pic's of the truck with the snow drifted up over the hood, to show my boss,, that I was not kidding him about the snow storm! I was lucky there was a motel right down the street, so I waded thru knee high snow to it. Let me tell you, when I went back to check on my truck, it was so snowed in,, it took me awhile with a shovel trying to get a path to get going again, after the national guard came in and plowed me out! Then a guy with a back hoe hooked a chain to me and got me to the top of the hill, where I could get to the interstate! My old boss still has those pictures on his wall behind his desk! That was 30 years ago, but I guess you never forget those kind of things! The lady that lent me her camera also gave me a big bag of cookies, to take back to the truck! So I guess if someone came knocking at my door in a blizzard, I would let them in! And give them what they needed! PS, Pay-It-Forward!
Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Bad weather? Snow?

Taken at Canaan Valley State Park in West Virginia. The BigD did real well in the snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Well Wryly, I think that would depend on the circumstances, how long you have been there, and if you were truly stranded. In a truck stop, they have bathrooms, and food, so, it really never came up. Same at a rest area, most have restrooms, with heat, to keep the pipes from freezing. I did get stranded in Cape Girardeau, Mo. for 3 days in a blizzard, it snowed so hard and was blowing, it drifted over the hood of my KW, after I got stuck in the middle of town, trying to make it up a hill. I had a full tank of fuel, so I just sat there watching it snow, and after a couple of hours a lady came up to my door and ask if I was ok, and if I needed to use the restroom in her house. I said yes, and did she have a insta-matic camera, she said she did. So I walked to her house, got the camera, took a couple of pic's of the truck with the snow drifted up over the hood, to show my boss,, that I was not kidding him about the snow storm! I was lucky there was a motel right down the street, so I waded thru knee high snow to it. Let me tell you, when I went back to check on my truck, it was so snowed in,, it took me awhile with a shovel trying to get a path to get going again, after the national guard came in and plowed me out! Then a guy with a back hoe hooked a chain to me and got me to the top of the hill, where I could get to the interstate! My old boss still has those pictures on his wall behind his desk! That was 30 years ago, but I guess you never forget those kind of things! The lady that lent me her camera also gave me a big bag of cookies, to take back to the truck! So I guess if someone came knocking at my door in a blizzard, I would let them in! And give them what they needed! PS, Pay-It-Forward!
That is an incredible story. Unfortunately the world isn't what use to be so many years ago.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
That is an incredible story. Unfortunately the world isn't what use to be so many years ago.
Very true!

Tags
winter