Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your method of best times to travel during the daylight hours in snow conditions has been our family's practice for many years in the Northwest. Well said.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #72

"Given that a lot of us are older retired folks I suspect that is why you get so many of us saying just hunker down and let the weather do it's thing. We are not going out to recreate in the snow with our MH. We are going someplace else and are not in that big of a hurry to get there. When we do it will probably be someplace that does not get snow. ;-) "

This is a great point! I am on the other end of the spectrum. In my early 30's and my wife and I are on a schedule with our free time as we both have careers. Perhaps in the future I'll be taking my time, picking my weather windows as I make our way to Arizona for the winter months. I'm just glad that there are so many in this forum with a few more miles than I that are so generous with their advice and wisdom.

A few tips for driving in the snow that have served me well:

1. pretend that there is a very full glass of water sitting on your dash that you don't want to spill. It causes you to be aware of the forces you put on the vehicle which could cause the tires to break loose. Stopping, accelerating, and cornering are all times to especially consider.

2. Never stop on an uphill climb if you can help it.

Stay frosty out there.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's funny you mention the glass of water trick; my father taught me how to drive with an actual glass of water on the center console. Not in a cupholder, either, on a flat part of the console. He told me that if I spilled the water it would get down into the transmission and ruin it (I was 13, what did I know?). It worked.

He also taught me the "What If?" game. Always be thinking "What of that car cuts me off?" "What if the trucks swerves over into my lane?" "What if that idiot in front of me slams on his brakes?" When you drive this way your reaction time is lessened dramatically because you already have a plan, and that can make all the difference. Saved my butt more times than I can count when I was still riding motorcycles; I imagine it'll come in handy when we finally buy and RV.

I've been playing "What If?" so long it's actually become an instinct. Doesn't take long, and it's never too late to start.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

1. pretend that there is a very full glass of water sitting on your dash that you don't want to spill. It causes you to be aware of the forces you put on the vehicle which could cause the tires to break loose. Stopping, accelerating, and cornering are all times to especially consider.

Nice analogy. I will be teaching my daughter to drive soon... Will use this one!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
It's funny you mention the glass of water trick; my father taught me how to drive with an actual glass of water on the center console. Not in a cupholder, either, on a flat part of the console. He told me that if I spilled the water it would get down into the transmission and ruin it (I was 13, what did I know?). It worked.

He also taught me the "What If?" game. Always be thinking "What of that car cuts me off?" "What if the trucks swerves over into my lane?" "What if that idiot in front of me slams on his brakes?" When you drive this way your reaction time is lessened dramatically because you already have a plan, and that can make all the difference. Saved my butt more times than I can count when I was still riding motorcycles; I imagine it'll come in handy when we finally buy and RV.

I've been playing "What If?" so long it's actually become an instinct. Doesn't take long, and it's never too late to start.
I can't believe it. We must of had the same father!!!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #76

Growing up in Canada and the Northern States you learn very quickly how to drive in bad weather. Snow does not bother me unless of course it is blizzard type conditions and I drove big trucks for a living for a number of years, With the mh we simply wait out the weather, it is not worth the risk....A few posters have commented that their unit handles the snow and ice well. I disagree 100%. Snow yes, but there is no Truck or motorhome that handles well on ice (unless chained). there is no way that you can stop or turn properly on ice...it just can't happen. j.m.h.o.
Bernie
Eagles16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #77
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you think snow plows handle the winter driving well, well its not always the case

It's happened to them and it could happen to you as well regardless of how cool, how careful, how whatever you are.

You don't mess with Mother Nature
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles16 View Post
....A few posters have commented that their unit handles the snow and ice well. I disagree 100%. Snow yes, but there is no Truck or motorhome that handles well on ice (unless chained). there is no way that you can stop or turn properly on ice...it just can't happen. j.m.h.o.
Bernie

I agree 100% regarding the ice....Specifically ice that has any moisture on it when temps are barely at or around freezing. I do not hesitate to chain up in the ice.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
So you think snow plows handle the winter driving well, well its not always the case

It's happened to them and it could happen to you as well regardless of how cool, how careful, how whatever you are.

You don't mess with Mother Nature

It might be just me but none of the vehicles in the pics appear to have chains installed.....very uncool, not careful, and definitely not whatever of them.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quite the thread....

Some interesting opinions here, and I am sure glad that I'm in the company of so many great drivers. Unfortunately I have to admit that I have had a few "Tin crumpling" accidents in the 45 plus years of driving all kinds of equipment, starting in Holland and a short stint in Germany after which I moved to Canada spending a lot of time in northern Alberta and BC. I've always had a fascination with big equipment and trucks and busses and chances to drive +own them.
When it comes to the weather, mother nature was a harsh teacher even in Holland where freezing rain is common and when you have to get there not always easy to predict or avoid. Then in places like Edmonton and area's once there is snow packed on the roads especially the side roads and the gravel roads, + country roads can be pretty tricky with or without the snow flying.
So when you have to make a lot of miles for your work across the province or across the country, it's often a matter of luck whether you never get any tin damage. I'm not making any excuses for myself cause I'm not innocent!
When It comes to whether you should go or not, I agree with Bernie and Ron, you shouldn't be afraid of a little bit of weather be it snow rain or what ever just use a lot of common sense and a bunch of "What If" . Besides the winter landscape is a beautiful treasure to be discovered and what better way to do it then in a Class A.

That said Trust your gut if it does not feel right don't push it!
There also is some incredible tire technology out there today that makes it a lot saver then even ten years ago, but nothing beats rubber on black dry pavement!
Not to forget about ABS, and other marvels
"What If" By the way, is the same as "Defensive driving" (as old as horse and buggy driving and just like the horse and buggy it still works.)

Regards,

Ed
2000 American Eagle. DS.DP. 40' 350HP ISC. 4 Koni's, 1200W. Solar, EMS, Compost Toilet, LED Lighting, TPMS, Scangauge, + 5'x11' ToyTrailer = Garage =Toolshed = Boathouse = Spare bedroom = Looking for a bigger one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
It might be just me but none of the vehicles in the pics appear to have chains installed.....very uncool, not careful, and definitely not whatever of them.
It's the consensus of the County Road Commissions that when the under body scrapper is pushed down it unloads the weight from the rear tires which reduces the effectiveness of having chains, and on really hard packed snow which they are trying to remove it makes the drive tires react like they are on ice.

Chains have their place but unfortunately for those doing the plowing there is no overall great procedure.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It's the consensus of the County Road Commissions that when the under body scrapper is pushed down it unloads the weight from the rear tires which reduces the effectiveness of having chains, and on really hard packed snow which they are trying to remove it makes the drive tires react like they are on ice.

Chains have their place but unfortunately for those doing the plowing there is no overall great procedure.

Interesting! I've never heard of this before.... Learned something new, thanks for sharing.

Must be a regional thing. I notice you are from MI. In the Pac NW the dot vehicles always have chains on when it gets nasty out no matter if it's a sander, grader, etc.

I wonder what the physics are behind this? So depending on where the blade is located on the vehicle, it's either going to lighten or load up the drive tires as it's engaged...either way, how would a bare tire be preferable to a tire with chain? Not disagreeing, just curious to understand the logic. Anyone have some insight?
If a case can be made for a chained vehicle being more dangerous as the weight on the drive tires is less or more due to a blade, then I suppose the same logic could apply to a heavier or lighter vehicle regardless of the presence of a blade as the determining factor would be weight/pressure or a lack thereof?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #83
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are basically flat land here without any major grades to speak of maybe that has a bearing on it?
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #84

In my neck of the woods it is not uncommon to see similar situations. Not having ever operated a plow truck or sander, I can only imagine that it would not take much to have one of these machines end up in the weeds. Wind driven snow coming over the front blade would all but blind the driver and he/she would not have to wander far off the travelled portion to be sucked right into the ditch with no steering control and no way to stop.

Eagles16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter