Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Driving mh in hot weather

I recall a post, from some time ago, regarding driving a MH in hot weather. The article said that rather than operating the generator to run the coach air, the poster installed a curtain just behind the driver and passenger seats to contain the dash air in the cab area. Has anyone done this or do you just run the whole house air and cool the entire coach? Ideas appreciated. Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Has anyone done this or do you just run the whole house air and cool the entire coach? Ideas appreciated. Joe
azloafer, We have run in quite a bit of warm weather and we have only needed the dash air. Running in the south west in summer we ran the generator/central AC and the dash air. We have not tried partitioning off the front of the coach. I do expect that your Latitude will be able to pump out enough cooling air from your dash registers.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

Run the generator and the front house air. I would close the bed room door. I have seen the argument made that this is more efficient than the chassis air. It will most certainly keep you cooler.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Its good to exercise the generator so what better time to run it as when you need to be cooled down. Do you have pets? They might not appreciate the curtain
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Scratch my last question regarding pets ( I just noticed your profile pic )
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe, this link will bring you to thread that OP supplied for us with pictures. Because of age of post pictures no longer exist but the post will give you the information to do the same.
One other thing to check out is your heater/AC unit it maybe pushing a mixture of cold air and heat causing warm air coming out of your vents.
Not knowing what your heater/ac combination is if a EVAN's unit they had control valve problems cutting the heat part of unit. Let us know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have run just the dash air and it works just fine in hot weather but I would not have a problem running the generator and using the house air to make it more comfortable if needed.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I recall a post, from some time ago, regarding driving a MH in hot weather. The article said that rather than operating the generator to run the coach air, the poster installed a curtain just behind the driver and passenger seats to contain the dash air in the cab area. Has anyone done this or do you just run the whole house air and cool the entire coach? Ideas appreciated. Joe
I saw that idea on this site, I tried it and it worked great for the a/c and the dash heater.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
We have run just the dash air and it works just fine in hot weather but I would not have a problem running the generator and using the house air to make it more comfortable if needed.
I wonder how much fuel per hour is used by the 6,000 watt gen? Shouldn't be too much. Joe
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I wonder how much fuel per hour is used by the 6,000 watt gen? Shouldn't be too much. Joe
According to my Onan manual its about .8 gal. per hr. under full load. When it gets over 90 we normally shut off the cab refer, turn on the genset and run both house ac's.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We often run both dash and house air when traveling in 90+ degree weather. The thought being is having the coach cool when we arrive at our destination, not to mention traveling in comfort (why not?). Sometimes it's difficult to bring temps down once everything in the coach is hot. By traveling with both on we have a comfortable ride, arrive with a cool coach and no struggle to balance temps after setting up. Using an avg of .5 gal per hour for the genny is a small trade off.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wer'e just wishing we had 90 degree weather 42 right now wish I was camping instead of spring cleaning
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have also heard it said tha tusing house air is more efficient.. I'm not sure that is true as I've never seen actual math to prove it. (I majored in math and like Dr. Epps.. I tend to trust the numbers..> TV show. NUM3ERS)

I do know, however that dash air just don't get the job done in hot weather

JC Whitney.. Used to sell a curtain to seperate the "Cab" from the house on a motor home.. Don't know if they still do. Don't know if I'd want one (or on a van for that matter)
Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we reached the point that the dash a/c would not keep us cool up front, we cranked up the generator and ran the roof a/c. read the generator manual and see what the fuel usage is at full load and 1/2 load. Ours ran about 1/2 of the time so we averaged close to 1/2 load usage.

Generally most of the motor home generators do not get hours on them, so running them to cool the coach is doing them a favor.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote