Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe she's thinking that with the RV, she will be doing all the work. Caring for the baby & kids, housekeeping, cooking, etc. She's going to be tired, so maybe staying in motels and eating out sounds better to her. Just another perspective!

Good luck and have a safe trip, however you go.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike,
Two things to look into if you travel by MH. Except on the Left Coast, most of the military campground prices are $20 a night or less. You you look in the Military Campground Reviews you will see that you will have quite a few along your way. Also, during check-out and HHG being picked up you would most likely stay in a motel or temp lodging. With the MH you could stay in it and be out of there in a flash on the last day. I'm going to assume you will be traveling I-10.

White Sands in NM would be the closest in that area but it is of the beaten path, but worth the stop.

Fort Bliss in Texas but no reservations.

Joint Base San Antonio - used to be Called Fort Sam Houston. We stay there all the time when we go to SA. Spend a couple days and see the River Walk, Alamo, and the Missions. Sight seeing in Hill Country is nice also.

The next one on the way is quite a distance so figure staying in or around the Houston area.

New Orleans has a new one in Belle Chase, LA, Aviation Arbor RV Park. Treat the family to New Orleans.

Gulfport, MS has Shields RV park

Pensacola has two but I recommend Oak Grove

Then Ft Walton's RV parks

So your expenses for lodging will be way below what you allowance will be for the move. Good way to save money. You are 1626 miles away from Ft. Walton Beach, as the car fly's. Let us just assume 8 mpg That's about 200 gallons of fuel. Let's assume an average of $3.50 a gallon (it is coming down, right?) so $700 for fuel, and if it were $4.00 a gallon it would be $800. What do the allow for mileage on orders now-a-days. Also, when you get to Ft. Walton you should be able to stay at the CG until you get quarters - unless you find them in your house-hunting trip. Driving 250 miles a day will take you about 7 days to get there. That is a leisurely trip.

Look into Passport America. It is $44 a year and if you stay 2 nights at a PA CG that charges a normal rate of $44 a night you get to stay at $22 a night and get a 100% return on your PA Rate.

Yep! I'd take the MH.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Mike,
Two things to look into if you travel by MH. Except on the Left Coast, most of the military campground prices are $20 a night or less. You you look in the Military Campground Reviews you will see that you will have quite a few along your way. Also, during check-out and HHG being picked up you would most likely stay in a motel or temp lodging. With the MH you could stay in it and be out of there in a flash on the last day. I'm going to assume you will be traveling I-10.

White Sands in NM would be the closest in that area but it is of the beaten path, but worth the stop.

Fort Bliss in Texas but no reservations.

Joint Base San Antonio - used to be Called Fort Sam Houston. We stay there all the time when we go to SA. Spend a couple days and see the River Walk, Alamo, and the Missions. Sight seeing in Hill Country is nice also.

The next one on the way is quite a distance so figure staying in or around the Houston area.

New Orleans has a new one in Belle Chase, LA, Aviation Arbor RV Park. Treat the family to New Orleans.

Gulfport, MS has Shields RV park

Pensacola has two but I recommend Oak Grove

Then Ft Walton's RV parks

So your expenses for lodging will be way below what you allowance will be for the move. Good way to save money. You are 1626 miles away from Ft. Walton Beach, as the car fly's. Let us just assume 8 mpg That's about 200 gallons of fuel. Let's assume an average of $3.50 a gallon (it is coming down, right?) so $700 for fuel, and if it were $4.00 a gallon it would be $800. What do the allow for mileage on orders now-a-days. Also, when you get to Ft. Walton you should be able to stay at the CG until you get quarters - unless you find them in your house-hunting trip. Driving 250 miles a day will take you about 7 days to get there. That is a leisurely trip.

Look into Passport America. It is $44 a year and if you stay 2 nights at a PA CG that charges a normal rate of $44 a night you get to stay at $22 a night and get a 100% return on your PA Rate.

Yep! I'd take the MH.
Wayne,
Good to hear from you again. We are taking this trip solely to house hunt. I have to go to 5.5 months of training in ABQ before we make the move. I will keep the suggested campsites in mind when we PCS in Dec. For now I planned out driving 500-550 miles a day with min stops. We plan on stopping in Ft. Stockon, TX and Houston. I think I will probably get 10 MPG. I got 400 miles on 55 gallons when towing a car. I haven't measured the fuel usage without towing yet. I did join passport America about a month ago when I stayed at Prescott, az fairgrounds for half price. I think the last time we drove for a PCS (3 years ago) they payed .40 a mile. We plan on staying in the motorhome when we do move until we find/move into a house. That is if we can take being in the motorhome that long with a 13,11year old and newborn.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #18

Motor home vs driving

I vote for the motorhome. Kids will get cranky riding in a car cooped up. You could cook some meals ahead of time freeze and take for reheating. Offer to take and eat out as your budget alows. I don't see how you could use another persons car as you would not be on their insurance. 500 miles a day is alot with kids and a newborn. I would not be able to sleep in a strange bed in a motel. We stayed at a motel and the room/bed was saturated with cigarette smoke. Didn't sleep much. You need a good nights sleep to drive each day. Look online for a car rental coupon.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3
I vote for the motorhome. Kids will get cranky riding in a car cooped up. You could cook some meals ahead of time freeze and take for reheating. Offer to take and eat out as your budget alows. I don't see how you could use another persons car as you would not be on their insurance. 500 miles a day is alot with kids and a newborn. I would not be able to sleep in a strange bed in a motel. We stayed at a motel and the room/bed was saturated with cigarette smoke. Didn't sleep much. You need a good nights sleep to drive each day. Look online for a car rental coupon.
500 miles may seem like a lot but, we only have 2 weeks to make a trip out there spend a week house hunting then head back. I really ain't worried about the car. It is my wife's childhood friend and I never thought about not using friends or family car without being on the insurance.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #20

For me there is no question and I would be traveling in the motor home, period. With the MH you have 'your' own space and that along means alot to me. Yes it might cost a little more but there are other factors to consider.
Besides it is easier to take care of children in your own space than some place out of the norm. Beside when we travel it get the wife and I more time for just us. Look at the places that you will be able to see along the way and the good people at camping areas.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #21

AF Mike

Traveling with the Spouse and three dependents, I would strongly recommend the RV. With a newborn, you will have a refrigerator and latrine on board, so snacks and diaper changes are more convenient. Treat your wife and family to one or two restaurant meals a day, so cooking will be minimal. Many fuel stops have Subways, Burger King, McDonalds etc if fast food is one of your families dining options.
Kids get very contrary when confined to seats for endless hours.
Packing luggage to a hotel room for five every evening is a chore too.
If your RV is equiped with a satellite receiver, that will keep your two oldest kids entertained for the whole trip. Go to the exchange and get a copy of MILITARY TRAVEL GUIDE-USA. It will list all Famcamps on all military bases; Also, NEXTEXIT is a valuable tool.

I am new to iRV2, but I have RV'd and Sno-Birded for about ten years since my retirement as an Army Engineer Warrant.

Best wishes to you and your family with your AF career.
ChiefW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Since you are just going to look around, I suggest going by yourself. Fly down & rent a car. Send the wife photos of the place. Pick up lots of brochures & maps & get a real estate agent.

In fact, there really isn't a good reason to go house hunting until you are ready to move.

22 yrs ago I got tranfered to KSC in Fla. from Calif. I flew down for a week to interview, & to see if I even wanted the promotion.

I said yes, THEN wife and I went down for house hunting. We bought one, and a month later we moved in.

You said you aren't even moving there until Dec., so house hunting now seems pointless.

BUT, like my trips, if they are paying all the expenses for the trip, then go in RV for the vacation. Take plenty of time to see as many sites as you can.

I knew then (and was right) that a trip like that would never come again.
So when the time came to move, I bought a new car, and my 17yr old son and I took 2 weeks to drive down there. We went to all the major places (Grand Cyn, Alamo, Painted Desert, etc etc)

The wife and daughter flew down a week after I got there.

My son & I created a bond that will last a lifetime. We had a blast.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Take the MH, your bed, your bathroom, your kitchen, etc....
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78
Help me out here how can I sell it to her that an rv is the better choice!!!
Just tell her about the recent bedbug outbreak in motels. Does she really want to expose her family to that nightmare? If that doesn't work, you're screwed
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe taking the motorhome would be alot more beneficial in your situation. Staying in motels will probably offset the cost of the fuel to some degree anyway. It will be much more convinient havingthe ammentities on board you have with the rv. I'd much rather sleep in my own bed every night then not knowing what you may be walking into with the way some of these motels are kept up these days. JMHO Good luck and hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #26

When someone questions the cost of using the motorhome instead of the car I compare it to the guy that gets a boat to save money eating fresh fish.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #27

I vote for the RV! Having done several long trips with infant twins, I would have loved the flexibility of traveling in an RV. Good luck! Congratulations on the newest addition to your family AND thank you for your service.
cdstrohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
I really want to take the RV (08 Freelander class C) to have my 2 very soon to be 3 kids ride comfortable. We will have a newborn and thought it would be a lot easier to care for the baby on the road in a motorhome.
Sounds like you missed the best reason Mike.

Pregnant wife, option a) washroom 15' behind her, option b) washroom somewhere up ahead......... maybe.