Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Bed Bugs are a problem in a lot of areas.

Plus, I like knowing whose rear end has been sitting on my toilet.

RV is the only way to go.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
I don't see how you could use another persons car as you would not be on their insurance. Look online for a car rental coupon.
Sam, a lot of insurance companies will cover any vehicle that you drive if you have full coverage insurance on your personal vehicle. This benefit comes in handy by not having to purchase rental car insurance when renting a car.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65

Sam, a lot of insurance companies will cover any vehicle that you drive if you have full coverage insurance on your personal vehicle. This benefit comes in handy by not having to purchase rental car insurance when renting a car.
Exactly, my insurance covers me and any vehicle I drive.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdstrohm
I vote for the RV! Having done several long trips with infant twins, I would have loved the flexibility of traveling in an RV. Good luck! Congratulations on the newest addition to your family AND thank you for your service.
Thank you!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hey, maybe she'll have the baby right there in the RV !!!!
That would be kool.
I birthed our daughter right in our own bed (at home). A mid-wife was standing by, but I was the one saying PUSH, and I caught her when she popped out.
Cut the cord, too !!!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce
Hey, maybe she'll have the baby right there in the RV !!!!
That would be kool.
I birthed our daughter right in our own bed (at home). A mid-wife was standing by, but I was the one saying PUSH, and I caught her when she popped out.
Cut the cord, too !!!
That would be cool! But, we are not taking the trip until the baby is at least 2 weeks old. Will be having her next thursday at the latest.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
That would be cool! But, we are not taking the trip until the baby is at least 2 weeks old. Will be having her next thursday at the latest.
Sounds like the AF doctors haven't changed much since 1970. The wife went in for a normal checkup and the AF Dr. asked her when she wanted the baby today or tomorrow. Since it was the 13th she decided on the 14th.

Induced labor takes the worry out of getting her to the hospital on time.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304

Sounds like the AF doctors haven't changed much since 1970. The wife went in for a normal checkup and the AF Dr. asked her when she wanted the baby today or tomorrow. Since it was the 13th she decided on the 14th.

Induced labor takes the worry out of getting her to the hospital on time.

Good Luck,
Jon
Our base has very limited sources for medical. (like most bases nowadays). They are all mostly just clinics not hospitals. We are seeing off base docs. I think it is pretty cool with technology and medical advances when somebody can pick which say they have their child. I think the 9th will be the day. Exactly 3 weeks before daddy's b-day.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you were a real man you would tell her "Look little woman we're taking the Class C."

Yes siree that's what I'd do!!

(My wife doesn't see my posts)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland
If you were a real man you would tell her "Look little woman we're taking the Class C."

Yes siree that's what I'd do!!

(My wife doesn't see my posts)
Lol, I will try that. With that being said What is single life like rv'ing?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
Wayne,
Good to hear from you again. We are taking this trip solely to house hunt. I have to go to 5.5 months of training in ABQ before we make the move. ..............when we PCS in Dec. For now I planned out driving 500-550 miles a day with min stops. We plan on stopping in Ft. Stockon, TX and Houston. I think I will probably get 10 MPG. ...........(3 years ago) they payed .40 a mile.

I'm with others on why travel now to house hunt. Surely you will not lock into a contract until you PCS.

I used to be able to drive those miles. Age is creepin' up, and your just ambitious like I used to be.

Fort Stockton is the arm pit of Texas in my humble opinion. For a 1 nighter you can find a PA CG, but if you are going to stay more then one night - check the reviews. I think we stayed at the KOA and it was "okay."

I don't get 10 mpg, I get about 8.9 giver or take. On our last 6000 mile trip I averaged about 51 cents per mile. At 10 mpg you should be down in the upper .40 cent range. That's for fuel.

Good luck, and if you are going to stay in Houston area, give me a holler when you are coming through and where you will stay. There are two CG's right off of the 610 loop, or others 10-20 miles out of town.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new born (early).
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M

I'm with others on why travel now to house hunt. Surely you will not lock into a contract until you PCS.

I used to be able to drive those miles. Age is creepin' up, and your just ambitious like I used to be.

Fort Stockton is the arm pit of Texas in my humble opinion. For a 1 nighter you can find a PA CG, but if you are going to stay more then one night - check the reviews. I think we stayed at the KOA and it was "okay."

I don't get 10 mpg, I get about 8.9 giver or take. On our last 6000 mile trip I averaged about 51 cents per mile. At 10 mpg you should be down in the upper .40 cent range. That's for fuel.

Good luck, and if you are going to stay in Houston area, give me a holler when you are coming through and where you will stay. There are two CG's right off of the 610 loop, or others 10-20 miles out of town.

Good luck, and congratulations on the new born (early).
Wayne,
I dont expect to purchase anything during this house hunt. We are wanting to go there to check out the base housing. From what I hear it is pretty old and below standards. I will be open to putting some offers on some short sales. You usually don't hear back from backs for 4-6 months. Another option we were thinking about if we did find a gem was to move the wife and kids there in August so the girls can start school there. I see there isn't much in Ft. Stockon we will probably utilize our first Walmart overnight stay. But, we will see. I do plan on staying overnight in Houston.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
I vote you go alone this trip & check things out....my hubby made the trip alone for us from overseas (not military but we move alot) back to america to house hunt & via internet pics, etc...I picked out 3 houses (I'm very visual & can tell from floor plans if I'd like the house) & had him get the one with the most trees! We are happily still here 14 yrs later - the longest we've been anywhere in one place!!! You also have the benefit of getting neighborhood info from others that have been there awhile, and school info, etc.

good luck & if the trip is a go as planned, I totally vote for the RV...we too had a newborn & 11 yr old 7 years ago! ...can't even IMAGINE loading/unloading at hotel & the yucky germs that go with it...just call me an RV snob....love love my own "stuff" and home on wheels!

Thanks for your service & welcome back to the FL panhandle!!! No place like it!! Recently saw a picture of Pensacola Beach with the beach ball water tower in the background & it had a caption saying "you call it a vacation, I call it HOME"!!!! Can't wait til the day WE get to move back for good!!!

If you need referral for nicer rv park on a freeway in houston, thats where we are now...I can give you a couple easy on easy off.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygolden
I vote you go alone this trip & check things out....my hubby made the trip alone for us from overseas (not military but we move alot) back to america to house hunt & via internet pics, etc...I picked out 3 houses (I'm very visual & can tell from floor plans if I'd like the house) & had him get the one with the most trees! We are happily still here 14 yrs later - the longest we've been anywhere in one place!!! You also have the benefit of getting neighborhood info from others that have been there awhile, and school info, etc.

good luck & if the trip is a go as planned, I totally vote for the RV...we too had a newborn & 11 yr old 7 years ago! ...can't even IMAGINE loading/unloading at hotel & the yucky germs that go with it...just call me an RV snob....love love my own "stuff" and home on wheels!

Thanks for your service & welcome back to the FL panhandle!!! No place like it!! Recently saw a picture of Pensacola Beach with the beach ball water tower in the background & it had a caption saying "you call it a vacation, I call it HOME"!!!! Can't wait til the day WE get to move back for good!!!

If you need referral for nicer rv park on a freeway in houston, thats where we are now...I can give you a couple easy on easy off.
Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I am not planning on going alone is we or not only house hunting but going to be using it as a family vacation as well. We have family in Shreveport and a lot of friends in Florida so we will be doing some visiting as well. Really it is more of a vacation than house hunting.
I was watching an investigative show the other day and saw something pretty disturbing. There was a rape/murder in the hotel and when they tested the bedding they found 38 different "love stains" on the blanket. Grossed me out and my me make my decision on the RV.