Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Driving while freezing

We are going travel to the mountains in January, its going to be cold. I bought an 2000 itasca 35u a month ago and wastold it had heated storage compartment.My question is, if I use it as self contained andrun the coach heater do I needd to worry about pipes freezing. Also while traveling to the mountains do I need to keep the coach heater running or will the engine heater also heat the storage compartment?

4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
You should be OK. We had a 2000 32V and both the basement and compartments seemed to be adequately insulated. By engine heater, I assume you mean the blower that uses engine heat to blow warm air thru the floor vents in the coach. If that keeps the coach warm enough, that should be sufficient. No reason you cant use the furnace if you need.

nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

You will probably receive a mix of answers. Mine will reflect my own experience. I have installed remote thermometers in the holding tank area and the water pump area. To answer your question about the dash engine heater. No, the dash heater does not heat the compartments. The only heat they get is from the coach heater runs under the floor through the compartments. I have found I am safe down to + 15 degrees with the coach furnace running. I am sure there are differences in coach makes and models. My recommendation would be to put thermometers in the compartments you are concerned with and you will find your own comfort level.

Good luck;
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome 4rfam to irv2.
If as you say your coach compartments are heated, that would be your water bays and plumbing water closet areas. Your heater should take care of keeping the areas warm enough so you will not have any problems.
The access holes to outside for sewer and water could be sealed on floor with a piece of insulation to block any outside air from causing a problem.
When you get at destination leave the heater running to keep your bays warm and interior of coach.
You can check these bays before leaving on trip just to make sure you do have furnace suppling heat to the areas.
Your engine heater will help with keeping interior warm alone with your furnace but normally will not heat your bays.
Some coach's have a fan induct from furnace that will force more heat into water bays, you may have a switch in water bay to put on fan.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
Have a good trip.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
The engine heat that heats the hot water & runs the hot air through the floor heat ducts does do the job, usually we run ours on low after about 10 minutes of traveling. It's a great idea to have remote thermometers in your water bays, although I've found that the hot water tank bay never gets very cool while traveling. I also fish an extension cord from the bath down to the waterfill bay & plug in a 100 watt light bulb there, just in case. we run it off of our large inverter while going down the road or for overnighting.. For the life of me I can't think of what they call that heat system, (whoops, I remembered it's called a Motoraid) but as long as the blower is not froze up, it works great. Lot's of luck, we are planning a similar trip this winter.
Fred B.
Hinckley, Ohio, 00' winnebago Adventurer 35U,
07' Saturn Vue, SMI Stay-n-Play, Blue Ox Aladdin
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
I am not clear if you are just driving through the mtns or you are camping in the mtns. If you have Motoraid it will adequately keep your bays warm as well as the coach while driving. If you are going to park, you will have to run your furnace or use drop cords with light bulbs to keeps bays warm, or both.
Izzyblueye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you can get wireless remote temperature indicating systems. i got 3 wired gauges from harbor freight for about $5 each. i use a 100w trouble light in the aft water service bay for heat.
this takes the guess work out of it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
I had a 2000 Winnebago 35U and used it in temps down to 10 degrees and never had any problems using the propane furnace.

wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote