Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DRL inhibit modification for Freightliner chassis

I searched a lot of posts regarding the inability to Flash your headlights while driving. Some mentioned a "UNUSED PIN" on the lighting control module.

This post describes the simple modification I did on my 2014 XL chassis.
The lights are controlled by a "Lighting Control Module"(LCM), which has two large connectors on it (16-pin & 10-pin).
One input to this unit is the parking brake switch (Grounded when parking brake is applied).

The LCM turns on the low beam headlamps at full power when driving in the daytime. The high beam switch has no affect if the headlamp switch is off.
I simply added a momentary switch in parallel with the parking brake switch in order to make the LCM think that we are parked.

The only negative thing about this is that the Parking brake alarm sounds when I flash the headlamps with my new switch.

This can easily be fixed by using a SPDT switch instead of a SPST switch and interrupting the connection between the LCM and LBU (Light Bar Control Unit) which controls the parking brake alarm. I have not made up my mind if I like the reminder that the DRLs are being flashed.

Below is the freightliner schematic, and a picture of the LCM after the modification. The R/W wire is the parking brake wire.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRL_Light_Module.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	103089  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp a1.bmp (1.05 MB, 134 views)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #2

I assumed the Phaeton came with the " Smart Wheel " which has light flash buttons built-in. Guess not ?
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I assumed the Phaeton came with the " Smart Wheel " which has light flash buttons built-in. Guess not ?
Not on this model. I just don't understand why Freightliner did not build the LCM give us a way to do it with the headlight switch.

Dan

Tags
cat, chassis, freightliner