Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The installation of a proper Zener diode circuit into the HID/DRL control circuit will isolate power to the HID relay when DRL are in use and yet still activate the relay when the driving lights are turned on.
I thought the problem was the low DRL voltage to the HID relay. A Zener diode regulates a voltage down, for example 9.1 volts down from 12. It does not raise voltage up.
The best solution for Craig P would be to locate the DRL voltage dropping device, probably a Zener diode, and bypass it.

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The chattering of the relay for the HID system is due to marginal voltage applied when the DRL are turned on. By using a circuit to drop the voltage to below this threshold will fix the chattering problem, allow the use of DRL and HID lights at night.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The installation of a proper Zener diode circuit into the HID/DRL control circuit will isolate power to the HID relay when DRL are in use and yet still activate the relay when the driving lights are turned on.
According to the Freightliner tech that I spoke with on the phone, there is only one option, disconnect the DRL's. I was told that if I try and modify the DRL circuit in anyway, it will cause the parking brake and/or annunciation light bar circuits to malfunction. You can read more about that in this thread.

My mechanic son came over yesterday and we tried every suggestion posted in this thread, along with a few of his own, with the excception of the Zener diode. Nothing allowed the DRL's and HID's to work in harmony, so we ended up disconnecting the DRL's. Again, not what I really wanted to do, but it was either that, or go back to having less night-time visibility.

Thanks everyone for your efforts!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On our DSDP I just removed the DRL relay so they don't work. Haven't been run off the road by a trucker since. And yes, I was actually run off onto the shoulder twice on I-5 by truckers. Guess they can't tell the difference between steady burning DRL's and flashing regular beams.
I did the same....dim lights in daytime look dumb. I wired my fog/driving lights to be used during the daytime. Brighter and look good like the big FL trucks a few years back. Just another option.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
According to the Freightliner tech that I spoke with on the phone, there is only one option, disconnect the DRL's. I was told that if I try and modify the DRL circuit in anyway, it will cause the parking brake and/or annunciation light bar circuits to malfunction. You can read more about that in this thread.

My mechanic son came over yesterday and we tried every suggestion posted in this thread, along with a few of his own, with the excception of the Zener diode. Nothing allowed the DRL's and HID's to work in harmony, so we ended up disconnecting the DRL's. Again, not what I really wanted to do, but it was either that, or go back to having less night-time visibility.

Thanks everyone for your efforts!

Craig
You would not be altering the DRL circuit; only stopping any marginal voltages of the HID installation from reaching the DRL circuit.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Craig.....you might think about going back to work before your projects cost you a fortune!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You would not be altering the DRL circuit; only stopping any marginal voltages of the HID installation from reaching the DRL circuit.
I'm sure you're right, but you're an expert, I'm just a knucklehead. This all exceeded my expertise & abilities. Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Craig.....you might think about going back to work before your projects cost you a fortune!
Thanks Don...now you sound like the DW!

Craig

Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Craig, I am ordering an HID kit for my coach but cannot remember if I have DRL or not. If I do, I will sit down and design the isolation circuit and let you know. I wonder now, if the canceller, offered by the HID supplier would fix your problem. You might give their tech support a call and discuss this with them. Please let us know if you do and what they say. Thanks.
P.S. just ran a google search and found this Lumens Xenon HID Conversion Installation Accessories for DRLs, Light Out Sensors, Flickering, and Low voltage
What brand of HID did you install?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

Thanks for the web link. The system offered by Lumens looks impressive. I didn't see anything on their web site however that gave a price list or where to order. Their harness connectors look identical to the connectors on my harness, so their harness may work with my kit and allow me to run the DRL's. I could always re-connect that ground wire, now that I know where it is.

I bought my kit from HIDnation.com. My son ordered a kit from them and liked it. The installation instructions however leave a lot to be desired. They don't include them with the kit, you have to return to their website, and the instructions there are not comprehensive enough. You can not call their tech support with a question, but they do respond same day to email questions.

I did ask them about the canceller before I ordered my kit. They said the canceller is only needed if your instrument panel displays a warning when one of your headlights burns out. Mine doesn't, so I didn't order one.

Craig

Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Craig. I am still doing some homework.