Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Exclamation Dropped rear-view camera cord

I was trying to troubleshoot the rear-view camera and ended up dropping the cord down into the end cap. I can't see it at all. Fished around with a bent wire, but have no clue where it might be. I have a 2004 Allegro.
Does anyone have any advice on how to find and retrieve the cord?
Thanks...
EZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I would give Tiffen a call. They would know what you need to do and if it is possible or not. Good luck and let us know what happens. (256) 356-8661
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sorry, I apologize to everyone in advance but we can't pass this up!!
It would definitely solve your problem

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/dont...her-75526.html

On a more helpful note you may have to hire a plumbing outfit with the cameras they can put down a pipe. At least you'll find out where it is and may be able to snare it.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When I changed cameras, I ran a new line. There was an access panel in the closet to that area. May look and see if you are lucky. Could cut one if needed, just find a suitable "cover" so you will know what size. Mine is about 5" x 5", but large enough to get a mirror on a stick in there. Tip: Aim the flashlight into the mirror to see.
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You can probably take a string and tie a large nut for weight to it and drop it down through the hole you lost the cable down. You then can go to engine rear door area and find the string. You will probably also find the cable ran in this direction from Tiffin (most mfg do) and up the frame rail to monitor. You may have to open wiring loom to find it and then pull it back up the void of the rear cap and back wall.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear you dropped the line. I worried about that while I was trouble shooting and eventually replacing the camera. Not to rub it in but I did secure it with a long string just in case. I believe that the rear cap is mostly hollow and open to view from the ground up. The hitch will be in the way from center but you might be able to get a view of it from one side or the other. If they ran the line from under the chassis there might be enough to pull it down and then back up with a line dropped from above. If it is a short line from above then it shouldn't be too hard to find and fish out.
Good luck.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just rechecked my Allegro. I have the rear window and spare tire option. That would make my suggestions a lot harder as you will have to go around those. Have you tried a shopvac? If you have the rear window it couldn't have dropped very far.

Good Luck
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #8

The flexible grabbing tool might retrieve it. The biggest obstacle is not being able to see the cable, even if it is relatively close to the hole it will be hard to snag it. I believe Harbor Freight has the small TV probe.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
looking in my wiring schematics for the 34xb and 37db, the camera harness has 2 wires, Green and Red. Green shows to be 32 inches long, Red shows to be 49 inches long. Both are 16 gauge. I could not see another diagram where these hook to another harness, but that short they would have to. End cap harness diagram doesn't show them that I could see, but maybe knowing the colors of the wires and approx length may help.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to tell you the Harness diagram #'s in case you ask Tiffin to fax them to you. Backup Camera Harness diagram # H1117500-0 The Allegro Bay Rear cap harness is Drawing # 201-1230 These are for the 34xb, 37db, 38tdb models.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you see it from underneath the coach? (I can on my coach) beyond that I have no clue
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #12

Harbor Freight inspection camera

We had to re-plumb our coach, this meant somehow getting lines behind, around and under things that seemed impossible.

HF sells a small inspection camera, it has a good reach and attachmets that you place on the end of the camera, one is a hook.

We were able to get pull wires past things we could not even see, let alone touch.

DO wrap tape around it because the mounting is not good for actually pulling much.

Normal price is about $160, but they go on sale or use the 20% coupon.

They are also on-line if you do not have one nearby.

The display screen is wireless, so it can be placed where you can see it seperately from the handpiece for the camera.

THe quality of the image is great and color, builtin LED lighting as well.

Good luck.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up Success!!!

Thanks for all the great advice. I called Tiffin and found out the camera wire comes out just below the left roof rail. They said it should be within 2 feet of the top of the roof. Suggested I get a copper wire and go fishing. I also bought one of those telescopic mirrors (mirror on a stick) that I thought I could use with a flashflight to actually see the wire. This didn't work at all so I just went fishing. On the first cast I got a bite. I tugged and felt something solid on the end of the hook I had bent into the end of the wire. I got it out to the opening only to find I had pulled the top running light out of its socket. I tied that off to get it out of the way and went fishing again. After about 20 minutes of this I hook something again. It took awhile to finesse it back to the small opening, but finally managed to pull it though. It was the camera wire? Cleaned the connections...which is what I set out to do in the first place...put on a good layer of electrical tape. Screwed the camera back in and checked it out. Everything works! So, I sacrificed a night-time running light (one of 5 on the back) for a working camera. I'll take it.
Thanks again for all the great input.
ed
EZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Thank you for the update. Always nice to hear the ending. Sorry about the running light. Maybe one day when you are bored and ambitious you will get that fixed also. Good Job.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear-view camera