Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Dual Kwikee steps

We just purchased a 1997 Beaver Monterey our first RV. I read all the threads on steps but can't find the answer I need. What I want to have happen is the step to close after the door is closed when parked. The only switch I can find is the one on the cabinet inside the door marked step light that turns on a little light by the inside of the door but does nothing to the steps working? Any ideas? thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's called an "entry door" sw. and appears to do what you desire. We NEVER use ours as it is a long way to the ground should one forget and back out the door (don't ask how I know).
You'll need an electrical diagram (maybe someone has one) and the switch. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to install.

PS - As this is specific to Beaver/Monaco it would probably draw more attention if moved to that area......

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I assume your Kwikee steps are continued by more traditional steps up into the motor home then the step switch, which is either called a POWER switch or an OVERRIDE switch, depending on the age of your coach, should be on one side or the other of the steps inside the rig.

However if all else fails then with the steps OUT crawl under the rig

You will find the controller on the bottom of the step mounting bracket

Now... Coming out of the controller should be a 16AWG white wire (If it is a new style controller) trace them.. You should find a switch. That's the OVERRIDE switch. Turning it ON should lock the steps in the OUT position, turning it OFF makes the steps follow the door.. NOTE> if the white wire has been jumpered to one of the other wires.. say a red one.. Then your switch is always on and this is very simply not a proper install.

Again this assumes the unit is a newer one

Older ones the switch is called a power switch and it must be on for the steps to follow the door.. I can't find my copy of the old service manual just now so I don't know for sure the colors of the wires on the older "Squarish" controller

(The new controller is 4-sided but looks almost triangular)
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

thanks to both of you. I will look under the steps tomorrow and see what I can find. If I can't find a switch, as I assume it's the original steps from 97 I will post in the Beaver forum. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
97 may be the old controller.. I should have a copy of that diagram around here somewhere but no matter what happens.. Write down any thing that looks like a model number... GOOGLE Kwikee steps

And navigate to the "Litature" link (I thin I hit steps first) and follow to the wireing diagram or the instalation manual for your steps... That will tell you everything you need to know.