Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just noticed that moisture has started to gather between the panes of one of my dual pane windows. Is there a fix for this, or must I replace the window?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just noticed that moisture has started to gather between the panes of one of my dual pane windows. Is there a fix for this, or must I replace the window?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #3

You'll need to replace the window. Try http://www.lichtsinn.com/
They've got thousands of older Winnie parts at good prices.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #4

It's possible to have them repaired if the moisture hasn't etched the glass.

Otherwise, you can obtain replacement glass directly from the manufacturer. If the glass carries "DOT 573" then it is an Atwood product, available from Atwood Mobil Products Elkhart, Indiana, telephone 260-463-2116. Ordering direct from Atwood will save you a few bucks.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan Birch:
It's possible to have them repaired if the moisture hasn't etched the glass. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Troth & Stan for the part referrals. How would one go about repairing one of these? Am I to assume that a crack is the window sealant is to blame? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 AM   #6

I may be mistaken, but I beleive the space between each piece of glass is filled with nitrogen or argon gas in a special chamber, then the perimeter is sealed with polyurethane. I don't know of any "repair shops" that do this sort of thing.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
How would one go about repairing one of these? Am I to assume that a crack is the window sealant is to blame? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Repairing thermo-pane windows is definitely not a do-it-yourself kind of job. You would have to send the window to a facility that specializes in this sort of thing. All it takes for a dual-pane glass to fail, is a mere pinhole in the sealant; and unfortunately, failure is rather common-place.

But unless you can locate a repair facility next door, then repair option isn't really all that attractive. Glass is really cheap! And so are replacement windows! Shipping costs will set you back almost as much as the cost of window itself. So, if you have to send your window OUT for repair, then the cost of two-way shipping will offer very little, if any advantage over simply going for a new replacement window.

Replacing thermo-pane windows from time-to-time, is merely a realistic expectation. When we bought our coach way back in '98+, the dual-pane window option, after considerable deliberation, set us back an extra $1,000.

While I can't pretend to identify with Southern California issues; here in Ontario, Canada, where non dual-pane glass tends to go drip, drip, drip; during the colder winter months; dual-pane glass has entirely eliminated that issue.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #8

I have seen this on my DP and I'm still under factory warranty, is this covered?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
google "dave root glass" in bend, or.
there is another thread about fogging dual pane windows in the winnebago forum.
the old forum would have linked these threads.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, your warranty should cover failures of window glass.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I had to replace both side windows beside the driver and co-pilot seat 2 years ago. I was able to buy them both from Atwood glass. Pain in the rear, but do-able. They had become so cloudy I couldn't see my mirrors, which is a safety issue.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #12

I came up with a brilliant idea. drill a small hole in two corners let it dry then put some nitrogen in and seal it off. first hole went fine, the other not so good, drill got hot and the inside glass discenegrated! anyway now I don't have moisture
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #13

THere is no gas inside an RV dual pane window. Stan Birch: Glass is not cheap nor are RV windows. If you buy a typical window from a dealer it can run up to $800 per. If you buy them from a manufacturer the sealed unit can be had for about $200 to $250 per. The whole window will be about $500 or more. Drilling an RV window is next to impossible as they are tempered.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #14

If you are near Tampa Bay area of Florida, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL can remove the windows, take them apart, clean the glass, re-seal them, inject argon gas and re-install them for $200.00 per window and give a 5 year prorated warranty. I just had them do 4 windows for me and they did them in one day. I am very pleased. They have parking with 50amp electric and water with a dump station at no charge.