Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
I use one valve extender and screw on and inflate the inner tires as needed. Frankly, i ran into problems with leaks when I left them on.
I was wondering about this??. Thanks for the input. Perhaps a truck air chuck might be a good idea? I always worry about the damage extensions can cause if they come loose or leak. Especially at high speeds on the freeway.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Purchase some dually valve stems that are solid metal that replace the OEM valve stems. It makes it easier to check the air pressure and they won't leak like extensions.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 AM   #17

Quote:
I use one valve extender and screw on and inflate the inner tires as needed. Frankly, i ran into problems with leaks when I left them on.
Me too. Had a flat on the inside tire, extender went bad.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #18

Thanks for the great advice. Especially a dual foot chuck also known as a truck air truck. Been holding off on buying a portable air tank until now. Glad I made the decision to purchase. Now I can carry the tank in the rv or car and fill it up at the gas station or with my tire inflator. That way I can easily fill the tires right in the rv park. The dual foot chuck is great. Makes it easy to get at the inner duals. Unlike a 12 volt tire inflator, the tank fills them up in minutes. And no noisy motors. Great for the car too. Just remember, you have to have more pressure in the tank than the tire or it won't work. You'll get back pressure. So this option appears to be best for me. Plus the whole tank system was cheaper than a single set of dual valve stem extenders. Again thanks everyone for the help.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
the whole tank system was cheaper than a single set of dual valve stem extenders..
You got a "portable air tank system" for less than $25?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this is the type of portable air tank he is talking about. My dad used to keep one in the back of his pickups before they came out with the 12V air pumps.

Sears.com
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #21

When we bought our coach (used) it had valve extenders on the inside duals. Coming home 622 miles in one day, the pass inside valve extension broke off at the base of the thread on the primary valve stem. Cost? $560 for a new tire, emergency service, and a new tire chuck.

The other side I caught because it wouldn't hold pressure. Cost to replace valve stem? $90 for emergency service and one valve stem.
I now use the truck tire chuck.
If I don't have the tire chuck along I found I could lay down, insert my hand and a valve stem extension between the two tires and screw the extension on long enough to fill the tire. Our tires are 235/80r/22.5 Michelins on Alcoa rims. I DO REMOVE ANY extensions now...cheaper this way!!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #22

I just put my arm between the tires, feel around on the inner rim until I find the valve stem and then put the tire chuck on it and fill them up it is quite an easy process now. The truck chuck is quite the amazing tool.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I think this is the type of portable air tank he is talking about. My dad used to keep one in the back of his pickups before they came out with the 12V air pumps.

Sears.com
Tried to upload a picture to show you guys but attachments don't want to work right now. But yes. A standard portable air tank with a steel valve stem filler. I have a 5 gallon tank with a truck air chuck and 15 feet of industry grade air hose. It holds about 125 pounds of air, which is plenty to top off my MH tires. Nice portable size. Truckers, tow trucks and AAA carry them too. The magic to these? No motor and instant air!!! every full timer should own one. I do carry 2, 12 volt tire inflator when I have to add air on the go. Unlike the tire inflators, the tank is quick. Only takes a couple of minutes to fill up my tires. I will upload a photo if I can get this phone to work right again. With all the complaints I have heard about valve stem extenders on this thread. I get a feeling I'm better off not using them. The whole tank system was about $40.00, and I have no complaints. No air leaks as of yet, the tank system seems to be well worth the money.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417060310.682860.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	686.0 KB
ID:	80061

5 gallon air tank system 125 pound capacity

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Doesn't it get kind of tiresome checking the pressure daily doing that? If you aren't checking at least every morning before traveling we can expect you back here with a sad story about the bad tires you bought!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't it get kind of tiresome checking the pressure daily doing that? If you aren't checking at least every morning before traveling we can expect you back here with a sad story about the bad tires you bought!
Properly maintained duals only have be checked once every few months because a good tire holds the air well.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If you are checking pressure daily, you will have to keep adding air. Truckers check theirs weekly and they drive a lot more than an RV. I found a long plastic tube with one end that unscrews the cap through the hole (no crawling under), the long gauge and an extension for the compressor. I drove 4k miles and never had to add air. This reminds me of the guys who check the oil every day. Do you check your car every day too?
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Purchase some dually valve stems that are solid metal that replace the OEM valve stems. It makes it easier to check the air pressure and they won't leak like extensions.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
With the above valve stems installed and the double sealing valve caps (below) I can check the air pressure in all 6 tires in less than ten minutes and I'm old and slow. I also don't have to crawl under the coach to get to the inside duals.

A1046-250 Double Sealing Valve Cap Qty:1

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy

Tags
tires