Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #43

When we bought our motorhome, I took it to the shop to have new tires put on. The previous owner had installed extra long extension lines and the excess looped between the duals. The tire guys showed me how that had worn all the way to the cords of the side wall.

Needless to say, they went back on with good angled valve stems. The tire guys said they hate those extensions as, just like others here have said, they tend to leak

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #44

Dual tires without valve stem extenstions

Each to their own ways, but....
I have added good truck shop flexible valve extensions of proper length on each of my 4 MHs when I bought them. They do not get in the way of the tires or rims, and have never come loose from the valve stems.
They never leaked.
I have TPMS, so crossfire does not provide an effective service, and would only save checking 2 tires about 2x a year. But I check my tires before each move with my TST 507 screen while sipping coffee!
Happy trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Each to their own ways, but....
I have added good truck shop flexible valve extensions of proper length on each of my 4 MHs when I bought them. They do not get in the way of the tires or rims, and have never come loose from the valve stems.
They never leaked.
I have TPMS, so crossfire does not provide an effective service, and would only save checking 2 tires about 2x a year. But I check my tires before each move with my TST 507 screen while sipping coffee!
Happy trails
Please reply with a a link or name brand for the extensions you use if possible.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Please reply with a a link or name brand for the extensions you use if possible.

I dont recall and they are not labeled. But they were not cheap, neigborhood of $50+ per pair. Top shelf stuff at a truck shop that truckers there reccomended.
That's the best I can do!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #47

Dual tires without valve stem extenstions

The braiding is tight on the hose, and there is a neoprene gasket where it screws on to the valve stem. When tightened, you gotta work to get them loose! The braiding touches nothing if they are the proper length and set in place carefully.
I double check them after new tires are mounted.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427041077.013316.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	89263

Old 03-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The braiding is tight on the hose, and there is a neoprene gasket where it screws on to the valve stem. When tightened, you gotta work to get them loose! The braiding touches nothing if they are the proper length and set in place carefully.
I double check them after new tires are mounted.
Attachment 89263

I used those or similar on two previous motorhomes and never had a problem. The motorhome I have now has a long hard extension on the rear inner wheel and that also has not been problem. I probably have close to 200K total on those three motorhomes and will use the same or similar on my next motorhome (if there is another one - getting a little long in the tooth to get another)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I get Jo who has smaller hands and fill's the inside Dually when air is needed and I do the rest. They stay pretty close to the same pressures.
I'm a X trucker and we used a small bat and hit the inside dually's and can tell if they need air. The MH has sat since last October and one tire needed a few pounds otherwise they were fine. I still use the bat and listen.
I have Hubcaps so I have to remove them to air up when needed so I have thought about getting extensions for the front and rear outer. I changed the pins that lined up the caps with bolts so the caps can't move around.
JMO,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires