Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Dual tires without valve stem extenstions

My Dodge Fleetwood Tioga has standard dual tires on the rear. However the former owner never installed extended valve stems like you see on most dual tires. A valve stem kit would cost almost $70 buck. The tires on the rv are only a few months old and in great shape. The inner duals are down to 30 psi because the rv has been in storage for a few months. The maximum psi is 65 pounds. So I want to put 55 psi in all six tires before I take it out on the road, and I make my trip south for the winter. So my question??? What's the best way to put air into duals that are missing the valve stem extenders???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

I use one valve extender and screw on and inflate the inner tires as needed. Frankly, i ran into problems with leaks when I left them on.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Try one of these. Both brands are good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416598548.419132.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	79584

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1416598587.934337.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	79585
Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

More mass to fly around and potentially cause problems. If you have simulators, the above product wont fit
Old 11-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think any flexible extension can be screwed on with a little effort. Do that and get the tires up to pressure. Take it to a local heavy duty truck shop that also does tires. There are lot of them around. They will have the angled brass metal stems. They will cost you because the tires have to be removed and broken down. While you there have them balanced.

Don't use anything except good truck quality metal angled extensions as necessary to reach the valve stem for checking and filling. They are bolted into the rim so they won't come loose or leak. If you use the flexible ones you're asking for a leak. Do it once correctly and don't worry about it.

TeJay
Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think any flexible extension can be screwed on with a little effort. Do that and get the tires up to pressure. Take it to a local heavy duty truck shop that also does tires. There are lot of them around. They will have the angled brass metal stems. They will cost you because the tires have to be removed and broken down. While you're there have them balanced.

Don't use anything except good truck quality metal angled extensions as necessary to reach the valve stem for checking and filling. They are bolted into the rim so they won't come loose or leak. If you use the flexible ones you're asking for a leak. Do it once correctly and don't worry about it.

TeJay
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

I don't leave extenders on they leak.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

cant you just use an angled foot air filler? I have always used one on mine and find it rather easy with just a little practice.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
...A valve stem kit would cost almost $70 buck. The tires on the rv are only a few months old and in great shape. The inner duals are down to 30 psi because the rv has been in storage for a few months. The maximum psi is 65 pounds.
That valve stem kit is cheaper than replacing a tire that goes bad because of under inflation.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a class C previously and added the brass valve stems to the duallies. They were well worth the cost and made filling the tires a simple job.
When I purchased a class A, I added Crossfires. While the unit needs to be properly secured, once installed they solve all problems I had. They are widely used in the trucking industry and would be my choice for use on a class C knowing how well they work. You need to purchase them for the correct tire pressure based on the load you carry on your coach and once installed, you can quickly fill each side through a single valve. I like the visual readout they provide of actual pressure so I always know if air needs to be adjusted when I circle check..
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #11

You should be able to reach the inner tire valve stem with a standard heavy truck air chuck. They have long handles with a straight fitting and a rear facing slightly off straight fitting. After owning traditional Class A motorhomes with the braided extensions I have a Prevost conversion and not a single one has braided extensions. Some will have short brass extensions on the rear inner to just get it through the outer wheel. If used, these extensions have a rubber stabilizing donut in the hole of the outer wheel where the extension comes through. BTW, it's rare to see flexible extensions on commercial tires.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I went to a tire shop and had them mount longer stems on my tires. Moves them out front a bit and they don't leak like some extensions do when they move. On my previous coach I had extensions added and they then mounted the end to the center hub on the wheel. Easy to fill.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayabb View Post
I use one valve extender and screw on and inflate the inner tires as needed. Frankly, i ran into problems with leaks when I left them on.
Me too. I carry a 6" metal stem extension in my tool box and use it only when checking pressure in inner dual on the road. At home I have a 6" straight-foot air chuck inflater I use with my 195 psi compressor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have run what Gil describes since I bought the coach new ...solid metal extensions with stabilizing rubber donuts where they extend through the outer wheel. They make checking pressures and adding air easy, and they aren't terribly pricey if the rig didn't come with them like mine did... think I paid apx $12 each when I replaced the 3" originals with 4 to better accommodate the tpms sensors a couple of years ago.

Tags
tires