Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Dumb "NewB' water heater question?

Okay so after our initial trip in our NTU Jamboree, I dutifully drained and rinsed the hot water heater to avoid that nasty smell, etc.

Now I am getting geared up for another trip next week and I think I want to fill the hot water tank before I leave (?) home....that way I can just turn on the heater upon arrival (or overnight in the rest stop) and have decent water to wash with in the morning.

Assuming it is most easy to just partially fill my fresh water tank from my home faucet, it is okay to just turn on the house batteries for a bit and open the hot water faucets in the coach until they all run and then assume that this has backfilled the hot water tank??

Thanks!
Paul
WogStL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Yes
TombstoneJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You don't need to drain and refill the water heater every time you use it. Once a season is probably sufficient. Maybe a couple times if you don't use it very much.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You don't need to drain and refill the water heater every time you use it. Once a season is probably sufficient. Maybe a couple times if you don't use it very much.
Ditto

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

X3 on the draining. I do mine once in the middle of summer and that because I don't use it enough.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Going to throw out a little different idea here. I drain my whole system everytime I come back. Tank, pipes, and the hot water tank for two reasons.

#1 I don't get to use it as often as I would like.

#2 When I fill it at home we're coming out of a well.

I figure it's easier to drain everything than leave it in there and have to go through cleaning and sanitizing the whole system later. I also prefer not to add chemicals to the water in the tank.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

....that way I can just turn on the heater upon arrival (or overnight in the rest stop) and have decent water to wash with in the morning.

My water heater is heated by the engine cooling system while I am driving, it isn't really really hot, but it is adequate for washing while stopping at a Wallyworld overnighter. YOu might check and see if yours is also.

Wayne
ItascaRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water