Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Dump the Generator?

I have an older ('97) small (21') gulfstream class c. In the 2 years of ownership ran the 3.7 kw generac generator only for monthly maintenance. Now it appears the control board is bad (generator surges - searches for operating speed - at under no load and will not pick up added load. Also getting bearing knock. So, instead of spending money on something not used, it SEEMS (a bad word) like pulling the generator out and using the area for storage is a reasonable thing to do. I am ASSUMING (another bad word) there are no wiring concerns with this. Just not sure how or if the coach wiring harness intermingles with the generator. Any advice out there before I do something I may regret ?

Thanks -

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Normally there is an automatic transfer switch somewhere on board that switches from shore or no power to the generator. Removing the generator wiring should do it I think.

That said, the extra storage space would be nice but even though we don't use the genny much, we wouldn't be without one. It is a personal preference but I would be looking at how much getting it repaired was before removing it. Resale value might also be a consideration.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
We also don't use the generator much but I would not want to be with out one especially when camping with there is no show power available. We went on a trip last year in the middle of summer, stopped for lunch in central California and ran the genny and the AC while parked for an hour. Glad we had one. I don't mix well with 100 plus degree heat. And yes, consider resale value. You may find a good used unit on the market that is reasonably priced.

Martin
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

My first though was to get a second opinion on that board diagnosis. Sounds more like a dirty carb to me. Then I saw you have a 21' coach. Lugging that kind of weight around with a coach that size would need to be justified, and it doesn't sound like you can?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
As Martin said, I think unfortunately, your resale would really suffer. IMO, having a non-working one is much better than not having one at all.

Although I think most owners don't use the gen much (if at all), I think very few would buy one that didn't have it (we actually camp without hookups for several weeks every summer so we wouldn't buy one without).

Unfortunately, everything I see of generac for mhs (strangely enough they have a good reputation when it comes to residential backup gens) says that they are not very good units. As Martin says, if you aren't using it yourself so really not in a hurry to replace it, just keep an eye out for a cheap used onan. I see them on craigslist all the time and prices are all over the place - often quite expensive but sometimes really cheap. You can also probably try to sell yours used - as is. Even if it's not working, you might be able to find someone who'll take it for parts (according to my mechanic, it can be really hard / impossible to get parts for some generacs).
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

I know that the resale will suffer. I know this because some years ago I didn't buy a coach and opted for one that was older and cost more because it did have a working generator.

It sounds to me also like the carburetor needs cleaning. Don't take it to the RV place. Call small engine shops in the area and when one sounds friendly just drive the coach there.

When that guy gets it running properly, and if you still have no plans to use it in the near future, ask him how to prep it for long term storage. In simple terms, that would mean:
Run it out of gas so the carburetor stays clean,
Fog the engine so the shiny parts like cylinders and valves are oiled,
Position the crank so the valves and points are closed.

Then the engine will be good (it will smoke a bit) when you next need it.

Matt
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use for lunch stops to keep A/C.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #8

well, I can't imagine the resale on this RV being very much, so wouldn't worry about that.

if you don't use it, take it out. You could always use a portable generator and probably get one that costs less than an overhaul of this genset and probably alot more fuel efficient. My Yamaha 2000 will run ac and most other things and is quite compact.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
well, I can't imagine the resale on this RV being very much, so wouldn't worry about that.

if you don't use it, take it out. You could always use a portable generator and probably get one that costs less than an overhaul of this genset and probably alot more fuel efficient. My Yamaha 2000 will run ac and most other things and is quite compact.
Yep, this is not really a resale motorhome. Bought it for 15k as a "do we really want to do this" motorhome and backyard project. Put so much time and mods into it we fell in love with the little beasty and really love doing the back roads of our diverse and wonderful country. And do like the idea of a 2k portable gen, all we need and easy to lug around.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #10

I do love this web site and those who take the time to post and help others out. And for those who indicated a carb problem (Mattc, ahicks), thanks for knocking the webs off the old brain. High probability that internal fuel flow is being restricted by "crud" build up. As I aged and riding was less frequent (dirt bikes) used to clean carbs as a routine prior to a ride. So before dumping, will pull the carb and rebuild/clean.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Try some of this stuff before taking the carb apart K100 Fuel Treatment
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Chemtool...

Get 2 cans, 1 spray and 1 pour.

Use the spray for general cleaning.

Place fuel line from pump into pour can and run on it.

When can 1/2 empty shut off, wait 5 minutes, connect back to gas, check for crud in line first.

If better but not great, repeat.

Used this trick many times back in the day, cleans out MILD carb issues that are gum related, avoids the need to tear down.

If too bad you still may need to tear it down.

Also note...older fuel pumps tend to rot with newer fuel, you may have poor fuel delivery, pull line from carb and insert into GLASS jar and crank engine to see if you have good flow.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hopefully it never happens but I now need to run my gen in order to provide electricity for my DWs oxygen concentrator. Without it we could no longer travel.

Don G
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #14

A few things for the concentration.

First, check to see what the native power is, if it has an adaptor it may by 12 volts.

Option 2, work with your doctor to see if there is a model that has 12 volt native power, portable units should.

Then install power source inside MH

last option verify power needs in watts, then get an inverter suitable to support the load, then add batteries to operate just the inverter.

Extra batteries also for the 12 volt unit

Others have done this, search for it

Tags
generator