Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Dumping drinking water

Hey guys, this may seem like a common sense question but would it be appropriate to just open up my drain valve to dump my drinking water at a campground? I'm not sure what the protocol is and I don't want to offend anybody. I'm just thinking about draining my water just to sterilize it. Now what about once there's a little bleach in the tank?

DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well in Oregon it would be against the law even on your own property and in WA you could be cited for dumping it while moving.
But, I would think, if you didn't flood the place it wouldn't hurt or even be noticed.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Well in Oregon it would be against the law even on your own property and in WA you could be cited for dumping it while moving.
But, I would think, if you didn't flood the place it wouldn't hurt or even be noticed.
This is my first RV I've only had it for a couple weeks and honestly I only spent about three days with it before I put it in storage. So what do RVers do? Are there places at campgrounds to dump things like this? Or do I need to just turn on the sink and drain it into my grey tank and dump it with my black?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Well in Oregon it would be against the law even on your own property...
Call me incredulous that it is against the law to dump fresh water on my own property.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We were in Idaho and had picked up some water with a really high iron content.

When I realized it we were parked in an RV park that was grass and dirt. I didn't even think about there being a problem dumping fresh water. I opened the fw tank drain while we were gone for the day, but only about an eighth of a turn so the water drained slowly.

When we got back in late afternoon the tank was drained and there was a medium sized wet spot under the MH... No problem.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I believe that is for dumping the grey or black tanks. They can't sight you for draining perfectly good drinking water. If they start dong that then every body that waters their lawn will get a ticket, let alone if you wash your car or motor home at your house.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
that would be a fun court case...yes your honor i applied fresh water to my lawn
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #8

Deathoncall,

If after your camping trip, you were planning to put your trailer in storage for a long period of time, I would try and use that water for flushing out my black water holding tank, saving the last five or so gallons for adding the smell good chemicals.

I try to never save water from a camp site in my fresh water tank, because if it's well water, you have a good chance of growing some bad smelling stuff in there and then having to flush it.

But to a simple answer for you, add bleach as you mentioned with what water you have left, and you should be ok, even with campsite well water, and as mentioned above, slowly draining is normally a non-issue at the camp site. Creating a mud bog on the other hand, well you know the answer to that.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #9

Death, in the scenario you describe, I'm with LarrythaBear on this one. Slow drain as long as it doesn't create a muddy mess for you or the neighbor down hill should not cause a problem. If it does, then plan B is through the faucet and out through the grey tank into their sewer. As to bleach going down their sewer, I have heard that our sanitizing solution is not good for the beneficial enzymes that live in septic systems so that is a different story. After I sanitize, I find a parking lot storm drain.

Dtwallace, great point about not saving campsite water in your tank if it is untreated well water. I guess I never thought about that and have added campsite water to city water from home to bring it back to traveling level (1/3). We've never had a problem, but I understand the potential.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #10

Is there a place to look to find laws that change from state to state on items like this? Can't really find one site in particular

John, 2007, Gas Dynamax Isata, v10 F450
Old 04-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Could you please tell me which law this is.

I frequently dump fresh water all the time driving down the road. Usually at the end of a trip I have 50-70 gallons of water left over. I pull the drain and let it run as I drive.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #12

I brought the potable water drain line out to the edge of the baggage compartment and put a water hose connector on it. I have never drained it away from home. But if I need to I would connect a fresh water hose to it then connect the brown hose I use for the black tank flush with the backflow valve to the fresh water hose then put the end of the brown hose into the sewer at the campsite.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
After a weekend trip after I use the dump station, I'll open the drain plug for the fresh water tank and just head home with it draining on the road. Have been doing this for 16-17 years. The only difference now might be if I'm on a long multi-week trip I might deep the fresh water tank filled place to place, especially if we have some boon-docking days coming up.

As far as the hot water tank, I will drain that if I know the RV trailer will be stored for a few weeks.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water