Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

It seems to me that any residential bathroom tub will easily hold 40 to 50 gallons of water. Our jacuzzi easily held more than that and we never had any problems with the system. We did get it serviced every two or three years and was told everything was running fine. Sometimes we over think things, IMHO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyboy 316 View Post
It seems to me that any residential bathroom tub will easily hold 40 to 50 gallons of water. Our jacuzzi easily held more than that and we never had any problems with the system. We did get it serviced every two or three years and was told everything was running fine. Sometimes we over think things, IMHO.
Significant difference between a tub full of water and a black tank dump.

Septic System Maintenance
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #17

I don't want to add to the confusion but here is my simple rule: don't do in the RV what you wouldn't do at home and do in the RV what you would do at home. We have been doing this for many years.
The only problem we ever had was years ago when my parents visited, my dad was taking some serious medications which killed our septic system.
Edit: We add 1 pouch Septobac once every two weeks to our septic system.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
We dump ours at home with no problems, for about 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #19

If you see your effluent through a clear fixture from your black tank, you'll see it is probably 98 percent liquid. You are not going to bathe in it, and a tank or leech field can easily accommodate 40 or 50 gallons.
Let's not be so anal.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #20

The type of septic system would determine whether a large quantity of sewage would cause problems. Our old septic system was simply a tank to collect and digest waste connected to a dry well. When the septic tank reached a certain level the liquid on the top flowed into the dry well. The dry well had a series of perforated tubes to disperse the liquid.

The newer system has a 2 compartment tank with each section holding 500 gallons. Sewage enters the first compartment and is digested. When it reaches a level about 3 feet from the top of the tank the liquid spills over into the second compartment. When the second compartment reaches a level about 4 feet from the top it spills into a pump compartment. The pump compartment has a float activated pump similar to a sump pump. When the liquid raises the float to the proper level the pump disperses the liquid to a drain field.

I can see overwhelming a septic system if you have an older style one. With the newer style I'm sure the system is more than capable of handling what you put into it. Just be sure you don't use any chemicals that kill the bacteria necessary to digest the solids. Most odor reducing chemicals today help the digestion process rather than kill it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #21

Been dumping into ours for over 30 years, not one problem.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
We just did an addition to our house that required an upgrade from 750 gallons to 1000 gallons on the tank and from 50 feet to 450 feet on the drain field.

Our old system had to be pumped and demolished. In the process I talked to 3 different septic system installers/pumper, plus the local county soil scientist/septic expert.

We had been dumping our RV tanks into the old, small system since 2003. When they pumped the tank and dug up the drain field they said it would have probably gone another 10 years.

Even the county inspector said it was no problem, just limit the amount of blue stuff in the RV tank and just like in the house, use very little chlorine bleach.

Actually, the county guy said the biggest offender for causing septic problems is anti bacterial liquid hand soap. We dumped all of ours on the lawn and now use the regular stuff, just a little hotter water.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Actually, the county guy said the biggest offender for causing septic problems is anti bacterial liquid hand soap. We dumped all of ours on the lawn and now use the regular stuff, just a little hotter water.
I would have never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. Everyone uses that stuff now days including us. We are no longer on a septic system so no worry. We do empty our tanks using a macerator and garden hose into the sewer. Works great and no looking for a "last chance" dump station.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I just built a simple system dedicated to the motorhome. I have five acres and put in a tank system using 2 55 gallon plastic barrels. Added a couple drain field lines and its good to go. I'm several hundred feet from the well, but did a couple water checks..just to be sure. I'd have not hesitated using the home system in place, but I can't get access to it with the motorhome.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #25

If your septic system can't handle the equivalent of a couple of tubs of water, or showers, upon return from a trip, you need some serious septic system work, that has nothing to do with your black tanks, or the volume of them....
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're dumping in your OWN septic system, you've probably been away from the home while using the RV. While away, no one has added anything to the system. When you get home, dump your tanks, it probably doesn't add up to near as much as would have been put into the system if you'd been home. Just don't use any RV tank additive with formaldehyde in it, it will kill bacteria. The things some folks worry about!! (Not the O.P., but some of the rationales expressed)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #27

TexasTom
Every thread posted gets a totally false reply, (or 2)....this one is no exception.
Please be careful of the advice you follow.
(or ask a plumber).
Mel
'96 S
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Even our measly 500 gallon septic handles a 40+ gallon load from the coach OK.
Measly 500 gallons..

When I said "Up thread" That I had seen some SMALL septic systems I was thinking closer to 50-100 Gallons...

And now you see the situtation.. A 500 gallon system (Just about what my Dad Dug when we moves the house I grew up in to the farm I grew up on.. A house that last time I visited was still there (The current owners put in a propane tank farm and sell propane wholesale.. Which is why I motored by in ye old motor home.. Tanks were getting a tad dry). would have no problem provided the inlet is done properly.

Enzymeatic "Waste Digester" Treatments, Rid-ex and the like, should not cause any problems, the older preserative based (Imbalming fluid based) might.. I'd avoid them, I'd avoid them in any and all cases. I normally do not pour expensive treatments in the tank and when I do.. Digesters.

Tags
tank