Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dumping tanks in to a septic system

We are downsizing our house and moving in to a place with a large insulated barn for our MH.

The new home has a septic system. I have heard dumping the MH tanks in to the septic system is no big deal, but I have never had a septic system and am unsure.

Any thoughts?

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
I've been doing it for years with no side effects...I did have my septic tank emptied and checked after 15 yrs. I told them what I was doing and they said it shouldn't be a problem.

rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I would skip using any tank treatments if you use them and use septic system safe TP. Other than that its the same thing that goes in from the sticks and bricks house.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Iv had septic tank for years...yes, they can handle the contents of your holding tank. However......
Remember the common sense restrictions: don't drive over your drainage field, how old is you system? Is it working? Slow? Nothing but #1 and #2, strong chemicals will kill your septic tank bacteria, fill the septic on the fill side if it is a two stage tank, close and lock access ports.

2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
I usually dump mine before I get home but I have dumped into our septic before. No resulted problems. When I put in our rv pad I tapped into the septic line before the tank and ran a line over to the pad for just such use.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dumped @ my brothers he has a septic system and I just backed up to the pvc pipe, opened it and dumped. He says he had no problems. This was last year.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems like a full load 30/35 gallons at one time could overwhelm a tank. My Sister-in-Law has offered when we stay at her lake house, but I have been afraid of screwing it up.
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The biggest problem with dumping tanks to a speptic is the size of the septic v/s the size of the Motor Home.

I have seen some very small Septic tanks, and some very LARGE motor home tanks.. This is not a good mix.. in fact sometimes the MH can "Swamp" the Septic, completly over filling it.

Also, you need to make sure you dump UP-STREAM of a trap. Septic systems do not work if open to air, at least not underground ones.

Other than that.. No problems anticipated.

one thing that can help.. If the septic is of limited capacity, dump with a macerator and only run it for a couple minutes per day till the MH tank is empty.. This will spread it out and let the system process it out
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
In our neighborhood, an RV dump station is a common add-on. We are all on well/septic systems and there is a fair number of RVs. Around here, the septic tanks are all at least 1000 gallon by code, and usually several hundred feet from the house. The guys that come around to pump the tanks park their rigs where some of the neighbors actually store their motorhomes. Under these circumstances, I just can't see any reason why it would be a problem. Even if you use Happy Camper or Rid-X in the RV, it's OK to combine that in the septic tank. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even our measly 500 gallon septic handles a 40+ gallon load from the coach OK. It probably does force a lot of liquid into the leach field in the short term, so a poor (slow draining) leach field might result in a temporary back up into the house main drain line. Not gonna happen in a properly working system, but you might find a previously unknown problem about to happen.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

Several years ago I asked our "septic guy" if I should be adding any treatments and he said it wasn't necessary but it wouldn't hurt to mix a couple of those small yeast packets in a cup of water and pour down the drain once or twice a year. I've been using that septic system about 14 years for home and RV without apparent problems.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
I have been dumping my RV into my home septic tank for 19 years with no issues.
I did have to pump tank about 5 years ago.
Never gave any consideration to TP in house or RV. Used many different kinds of holding tank solutions.
We do use RidX once a year in the septic system.
Tank size is unknown but I would guess at least 500 gallons.
2013 Winnebago 35G, CHF, UltraTrac 2, 5 Star Tune.
2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Toad
Rvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Rid-x will break up the top scum layer and allow those larger particles to exit to your drain field. I would not use it it.

A full RV tank can overfill your septic tank which could push solids into the second chamber if you have one which will allow such solids to go to the drain field.

I would use caution if dumping a full black tank into your septic system. Perhaps half now and half the next day.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just as doing all the laundry on the same day can overload a septic system, so can full black and grey tanks. The key here is I said septic system - not just septic tank.

That's why I have a separate tank for the laundry.

Jack & Beverly
1999 National Tradewinds 7371; Cat 3126; 6 Speed Allison; 7.5 KW Onan; Freedom 20
2012 Nissan Versa on a EZE Tow
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote