Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Duo Therm Heat Pump

Well this Newmar Kountry Star is giving me headaches. This trip stereo quit, bought a new one and replaced it. Now the refrigerator is not getting cold but freezer freezes so I am probably looking at replacing the cooling unit (probably Amish). Came up with that decision after reading posts here about the Norcolds. As of late, the rear heat pump compressor comes on but no fan blowing. Now I haven't read anything on that so if somebody could give me an idea with this new issue. This is my first post and I am a newbie here.

Thanks

Bryan
Bigfoot077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

Sorry you're having troubles.
Question , Does the fan run if the rear unit is in A/C mode ?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
My first guess is a start capacitor for the fan motor. Second guess would be the fan motor itself. I hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We the same symptom, compressor on but no fan in the Coleman Mach A/C unit in our old coach, it turned out to be a$5 relay on the control board. Once I replaced that it worked fine. It does need to be soldered in, but it was a lot cheaper than replacing the whole board!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sorry you're having troubles.
Question , Does the fan run if the rear unit is in A/C mode ?
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to tear it apart when I get home. We are getting by with just one unit for now.

This is a great forum with a wealth of information. I am going to spend some time here checking it out. I will post in a week or so what I came up with as far as a repair. Have to get going on the fridge too. So little time and so much fun to be had. Have a great week all!

P.S. fan does not run at all.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
YC1

With the AC turned off, remove the shroud from the inside. Then turn the fan by hand until it feels free. Turn the fan on and see if it goes.

If the refer is not getting "cold enough" versus warm as the outside, check your vent tube after remove the outside cover. The vent tube must hold some water much like a sink P trap holds water. The water keeps warm air out of the refer.,

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

RE your refrigerator problem. This is a problem that can be a failed sensor on the cooler fin. It is a $25 repair.
By pushing "mode" and "set temp" buttons together the Ref goes into diagnostic mode and provides a wealth of information. (I just fixed my refrigerator this way two days ago.)

have a nice day and good luck - Darrel
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #8

My unit is like heat pump. It has no shroud inside the motorhome. Fan does not work On fan only setting either. I haven't had a chance to tare it apart yet but I got a feeling the fan motor is shot.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
RE your refrigerator problem. This is a problem that can be a failed sensor on the cooler fin. It is a $25 repair.
By pushing "mode" and "set temp" buttons together the Ref goes into diagnostic mode and provides a wealth of information. (I just fixed my refrigerator this way two days ago.)

have a nice day and good luck - Darrel
I will check that out. If it is not one thing it's another with these motorhomes.

Tags
heat pump