RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Durable shelter

What is a durable shelter with sides , for about a 34' RV . ( Something not a garage or pole barn that takes a building permit hassle to make ) I live in Michigan snow country besides . Thinking maybe a humongous tarp but they really do not last very long , trap moisture in a bad way ? ideas , insights , recommendations ?

TourNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I AM NOT SURE HOW YOUR BUILDING CODE WOULD WORK WITH BUT I GOT AWAY WITH THIS. I bought a metal shelter that normally is attached to the ground with stakes I had the bottom reinforced with 2" x 2" angle iron. I then welded wheels on the angle iron. It is a little difficult to move around but it was not considered a permanent building and did not require a permit. When in use for the RV I tied it to the RV wheels by running cross pieces and then drove the RV onto the cross pieces. Authorities were not happy but it worked.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I AM NOT SURE HOW YOUR BUILDING CODE WOULD WORK WITH BUT I GOT AWAY WITH THIS. I bought a metal shelter that normally is attached to the ground with stakes I had the bottom reinforced with 2" x 2" angle iron. I then welded wheels on the angle iron. It is a little difficult to move around but it was not considered a permanent building and did not require a permit. When in use for the RV I tied it to the RV wheels by running cross pieces and then drove the RV onto the cross pieces. Authorities were not happy but it worked.

Now I like that!
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
tcg

I'm also in Michigan I wish I could put mine under something for the winter. I considered a cover but when I dropped it off at the storage facility I saw a couple hundred RVs of all shapes and sizes ready for the long winter and only 3 of them had a cover.

They'll survive and so will mine but I would still like a cover. We'll see.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I looked in the All Steel Carports carport to cover mine, county said I needed a permit and there wasn't enough room for set back where I wanted it. Years ago you did not have to have permits for portable structures, now you due and your taxed on them.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Durable shelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I looked in the All Steel Carports carport to cover mine, county said I needed a permit and there wasn't enough room for set back where I wanted it. Years ago you did not have to have permits for portable structures, now you due and your taxed on them.

Not sure it would be a portable structure with piers or footings supporting it. Are you just wanting to anchor it to a slab?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Old 11-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

So, what's going on with building permits in Michigan? A permit is needed down here in Texas but the one time fee is not a big deal. Yeah, property taxes will go up, but at the same time, our Itasca holds up much better than if it was parked out in the open. It's peace of mind for me knowing that when parked, i won't ever open it up to find that a leak developed and messed things up while i wasn't looking. The roof material, caulking, AC shroud, skylight, and other plastics hold up much better under cover. A big plus for me is that ours doesn't require a bath or wax job nearly as often.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
So, what's going on with building permits in Michigan? A permit is needed down here in Texas but the one time fee is not a big deal. Yeah, property taxes will go up, but at the same time, our Itasca holds up much better than if it was parked out in the open. It's peace of mind for me knowing that when parked, i won't ever open it up to find that a leak developed and messed things up while i wasn't looking. The roof material, caulking, AC shroud, skylight, and other plastics hold up much better under cover. A big plus for me is that ours doesn't require a bath or wax job nearly as often.
The people that control building codes and permits keep fabricating stupid rules & regs to intentionally screw-over the citizens , like NAZIs. Stuff built 20 years ago has new regs. that didn't exist then , that they will cause you huge hassles now , even destroying parts of your home for spite & fines / fees / money for their pockets . Things built long ago should be grandfathered but aren't , it all has to do with power & greed . I need to build RV shelter that isn't considered permanent ( w/ foundation ) , so to not let the NAZIs get their corrupt hooks in me .
Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

I wonder if a high tunnel structure like farmers use to protect crops might work
Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

It costs us one way or the other doesn't it.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
The people that control building codes and permits keep fabricating stupid rules & regs to intentionally screw-over the citizens , like NAZIs. Stuff built 20 years ago has new regs. that didn't exist then , that they will cause you huge hassles now , even destroying parts of your home for spite & fines / fees / money for their pockets . Things built long ago should be grandfathered but aren't , it all has to do with power & greed . I need to build RV shelter that isn't considered permanent ( w/ foundation ) , so to not let the NAZIs get their corrupt hooks in me .
I know there are some hassles from time to time. For the most part though, our local government pretty much just wants the money. Pay for the permit and, unless it's very obvious your build violates a local ordinance or someone makes a stink, you're good to go.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I wonder if a high tunnel structure like farmers use to protect crops might work
That is what I'm leaning toward at the moment. There are ones ( about $2500.-- ) that are steel framed but with a thin polyethylene cover , which how few years will that hold up in freezing & windy conditions combined ? ( keep replacing expensive flimsy covers ?) So I figured for about that same price I can build a 2 X 4" X 12' pieces of a shelter with 12' metal roofing & siding panels - ($ 28.80 a piece = ~ $1324) , will be much stronger , especially with cross tension cables & ground anchors. ( room inside : 36' L X 12' H X 10' W door )

( the simple just - covers will also be winter-stiff & chafing the RV everywhere continually )
Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #13

I recently built a 27'x12' steel carport for mine. Bought from Menards with upgraded steel panels.
Poured a concrete beam foundation for the sides. If your going to do something do it right. If you can afford a motorhome then you can afford to protect it. My building permit was $75 and I listed the value of carport at $2500. Altogether cost about $4-5K but will last 20+ years. Foundation will last forever and can support a garage in future if desired.

Having a building code (if enforced) ensures your neighbors cheap-ass crap ideas doesn't end up in my backyard. And yes they did review my plans and inspect for setback. Codes are no problem for me, protects property values.
Ted
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
I can't even put up a 6' fence because I'm on a corner lot and the code views both front and side yards as a "front" yard. Which means I am limited to a 4' fence unless I seek a variance, which would be more hassle and money than it's worth.
What I really want is an 8' fence in the side yard but there's no way in hell they'll allow that.
If we were going to stay here I'd plant fast growing shrubs, but as soon as the wife retires we're out of Illinois like a shot.

baraff is online now   Reply With Quote