Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Duralast Battery with 180 Amp Hours?

Has anybody ever seen one of these?

I am a novice RV'er with a new-to-me coach which I bought many states away and drove home. Original batteries didn't pass the pre-inspection so seller had them replaced at a national auto repair chain 2 days before purchase.

I looked closely at them the other day and see I have two 12v Duralast marine/rv series 27 wet batteries. One is model 27DC (deep cycle) with CCA=675 AmpHrs=180, and the other is a 27DP-DL (dual purpose) with CCA=800 AH=115.

Went to my local branch of the chain auto repair, requested they replace the 115 AH dual purpose battery with another 180 AH deep cycle, the service manager has been working with AutoZone (Duralast is their house brand), to locate one, AutoZone now claims the 180 AH is a misprint and no such battery is available.

Has anybody else seen a Duralast 27DC with 180 AH? I'm not sure if both parties involved are on the level with me or not. Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trix View Post
Has anybody ever seen one of these?

I am a novice RV'er with a new-to-me coach which I bought many states away and drove home. Original batteries didn't pass the pre-inspection so seller had them replaced at a national auto repair chain 2 days before purchase.

I looked closely at them the other day and see I have two 12v Duralast marine/rv series 27 wet batteries. One is model 27DC (deep cycle) with CCA=675 AmpHrs=180, and the other is a 27DP-DL (dual purpose) with CCA=800 AH=115.

Went to my local branch of the chain auto repair, requested they replace the 115 AH dual purpose battery with another 180 AH deep cycle, the service manager has been working with AutoZone (Duralast is their house brand), to locate one, AutoZone now claims the 180 AH is a misprint and no such battery is available.

Has anybody else seen a Duralast 27DC with 180 AH? I'm not sure if both parties involved are on the level with me or not. Thanks,
a 30 second Google search comes up with this
Duralast/12 Volts, 800 CCA marine battery - 12 months free replacement (27DP-DL) | | AutoZone.com_
both U and your auto parts dealer should be willing to invest a little effort
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

There is no way a Group 27 battery is going to be 180 amp hrs (the battery just isn't physically large enough) and anything that says so must be a misprint. I think they (or you) are confusing 180 reserve minutes with 180 amp hrs, and they are two different things.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #4

Gee Dave, I did google them, but thanks for the reply anyway
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
There is no way a Group 27 battery is going to be 180 amp hrs (the battery just isn't physically large enough) and anything that says so must be a misprint. I think they (or you) are confusing 180 reserve minutes with 180 amp hrs, and they are two different things.
Hi smiller,

Thanks for your reply, I did read on rvmarx.com that the 27 series max out at 105 AH so I've been considering that too. My 27DC battery shows MCA=840, CCA=675, AH=180, RC=210.

I called five or six southern AutoZones yesterday, from Florida to Texas, Arizona and CA. None of them said they had this battery in stock.

Just wondering if anyone else had one....
Old 06-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If you read the specs at the link above, you will see that it is RC (Reserve Capacity) that is 180 minutes, not AH. An RC value of 180 is pretty much typical for a Group 27 deep cycle and is roughly equivalent to a 110-115 AH rating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

From what I've read ALL group 27 batteries are around 100 AH. I recently replaced my original single gp 24 with (3) gp 27's(and 240 Watts of solar) and we have yet to run out of juice, even during a week of boondocking on our maiden voyage. I agree with the others that it must be a miss print.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #8

Thanks to all. Boondocking is my goal. I'm having the battery replaced this afternoon. Next step will be to have the converter/charger upgraded and a battery monitor installed so I can track my usage. In the fall I'll have the battery tray swapped out so I can install 6v batteries and solar panels eventually.

Tags
battery