Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2001, 07:22 AM   #1

I'm considering putting a DVD player in my unit. Has anyone got and good leads on an AC/DC unit or is it easier just to go with an inverter and an AC unit? Also, is there a way to convert the audio and video outs on the DVD to an RF signal. My tv does not have seperate video and audio inputs. Perhaps I need to go shopping for a new TV also.

1996 Rexhall Rexair 32'. Pulling 1993 Jeep Wrangler, wife, and munchkins 15,13,9

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2001, 07:22 AM   #2

I'm considering putting a DVD player in my unit. Has anyone got and good leads on an AC/DC unit or is it easier just to go with an inverter and an AC unit? Also, is there a way to convert the audio and video outs on the DVD to an RF signal. My tv does not have seperate video and audio inputs. Perhaps I need to go shopping for a new TV also.

1996 Rexhall Rexair 32'. Pulling 1993 Jeep Wrangler, wife, and munchkins 15,13,9

Old 06-02-2001, 08:12 AM   #3

We Just did an inverter. Got a 400w with 800 peak for around $60.00. It works great. Then we Bought at Radio Shack a "FM Stereo Transmitter, cat no. 12-2051A" It plugs in to the ear phone plug If there is no ear phone plug just get one of those little converter thingys to go from ear phone jack to stereo left and right jacks. They have those at Radio Shack. Then you tune your dash radio, or other stereo, to one of 4 FM stations options (88.9, 89.1, 106.7, 106.9) and "voila" it's almost theater sound. For less than $100. By the way this works great in my garage, in my car and great in the "Barthmobile" but for some reason not in the house. Must be the ghosts left over from the previous owners. Or maybe my 17 year olds questionable electronics setups in the basement are causing interference. As long as it doesn't effect my pacemaker we ok with it....

www.barthmobile.com

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 09:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We were just at Best Buy this morning, and they have an AC/DC DVD player for around $300. Might be just the ticket. I didn't not what type of output it has for audio and video.

Dan

Dan, Geri & a Sheltie named Holly
Old 06-02-2001, 12:05 PM   #5

I saw that AC/DC DVD at Best Buy. Problem with it is that it is top load so it take alot of cabinet space. We set the inverter and the satellite deal on top of the DVD. We got a Sony AC for around $200 front load.

www.barthmobile.com

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 01:14 PM   #6

I just went through the process of a DVD and TV purchase and it was much more difficult then I expected it to be because of limited choices.

For DVD, there are few choice outside of AC powered units. I found a couple DC units that could also take a AC power adapter but ended up going with an AC unit and inverter. I selected the GoVideo unit that can play both VCR and DVD's.

You did not mention the size of TV you have but I needed a 13" and there are only two 13" units that have a "s" video input for DVD. One is a Sony which has a large case that would not fit, the other, is an Aiwa S1311 which I purchased and seems very good.

I paid $359 for the GoVideo and $169 for the TV at Audio King.

Good luck.

Mike

2001 FourWinds Dutchmen 31Z
Old 06-02-2001, 07:49 PM   #7

Gotta fit in a 20" TV above and between the front two seats. Thanks for the input. Looks like maybe an inverter and AC unit will work. I need a front loader as well because of space.

Old 06-03-2001, 08:33 PM   #8

I bought a cheap DVD player and plugged into the interter I already had. Buying an AC/DC unit isn't worth the extra cost. Get yourself an inverter - it's far more useful for a variety of devices. Cost of DVD player - $109

I bought an RF modulator at Radio Shack for $29 - too much if you ask me. This also needs to be plugged into the interverter. The only reason I needed this device was to tie the DVD player to the coaxial connection in my audio/video switchbox. Most coaches I've seen have these swithboxes to choose signal from cable, antenna, satellite, etc. and then select to send that signal to either front TV, rear TV, or VCR. Too bad these don't have SVHS connections instead.

I find the picture excellent with this setup. I expected image degredation with the cheap DVD player and the RF modulator, but it didn't happen. The difference in DVD players is really just features and processor speed for menus. Actual playback on all of them is so close you can't tell the difference - especially on these small tv's we are forced to live with in an RV.
Old 06-04-2001, 04:17 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our DVD Player is built into our Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook computer. It has a 14" screen and plays DVDs very well. I also have an audio output on the PC and I can jack it into the front audio input of the VCR therby giving us amplified sound through the coach speaker system.

01 Adventurer 37G W20 V8100 T1000
01 Cavalier LS, Blue Ox Aladdin.
Dale - 88 - Jarrett
Ricky - 28 - Rudd
-== R Y R ==-
......... 3.........

[This message was edited by Fiver on June 04, 2001 at 09:01 PM.]
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #10

My wife and I bought a Sony DVP-F5 portable DVD player that is not much larger than a DVD movie case along with a 50W inverter based on the player's specifications. I use a DC Y-splitter and run the DVD off of the same DC plug as the TV.

Works great. We rv-camped over Memorial Day weekend without hookups and were able to watch a couple of movies without worrying about killing the batteries.

Here is what the DVD player looks like:
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...d/dvp-f5.shtml
The msrp is high, but I found it for about $450 two months ago and that included an extended warranty (I'm a sucker for extended warranties.)

I just place the DVD player on the back of the couch under the TV when in use. When not in use, I just stuff it between the towels in the storage cabinet.

[This message was edited by Chris G on June 05, 2001 at 08:10 PM.]
Old 03-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #11

When I had my class C, all I had was a 12" color TV from Best Buy ... about $100.00 and an Ampex $29.00 DVD player from Walmart(great unit... accidentally dropped it from a two foot height onto the dinette table and it still worked perfectly) which also plays music CDs, and a whole host of other photo CD's including jpegs etc. Now I went and bought a 1999 Winnebago 34Y and want to upgrade the VCR to my cheap DVD ... and I am having a dickens of a time trying to figure out how to wire it in. The switch box is for co-axial cables and the DVD player only has RCA type jacks. The 12" TV I bought has the RCA type jacks in the front for an easy connection process ... the large TV in the class A has no RCA type jacks. The Radio Shack RF modulators is a possibility as one has mentioned, but I would need three (seems too costly and if they don't work, you probably cannot take them back) video, and L+R sound. With Satellite cable in, Satellite converter box, TV antenna in, Cable in, ... I am very perplexed at this point to get the TV1 and TV2 connected to the Audiovox push button diverter. Anyone have a wiring diagram they can e-mail me? Dealership seems to know less than me.

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

"RCA jacks" tells us the shape of the plug but not the content it provides. If the three jacks are color coded yellow, red & white, then the yellow is a composite video signal and the red 7 white are audio signals. They need to be combined to form an Rf signal that can be sent through a coax jack on the switch box. An "RF Converter" will do that and costs $15-$40, depending on the source. Here's one for $9.95 + shipping:
RF Converter

If the RCA jacks are red, green and blue, they represent a component video signal and there will also be red & white jacks somewhere to provide audio (total of five). You need a different type of converter to handle those and you need all five to make a composite video signal for the coax.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What was almost 4 years old is now new again. Ya gotta admire a person that looks deep into the the threads for an answer or a point of interest.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote