Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

I was filling up the fuel tank on our new RV yesterday when I noticed some text on the gas cap. I turned it over and was surprised to find it read "NO E85 - NO E20". If even the newest engines can't handle these fuels I certainly wouldn't try it in a 13 year old engine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here in Northern Virginia, straight gas is not available, so we have had to run E5/E10 for many years. My newer cars have been OK with it, including our 1996 Acura and 2000 Ford, but is has been tough on the power equipment-- especially the plastic fuel tanks, rubber fuel lines, and carbs.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Florida's Gov Scott recently signed a bill into law allowing sale of unleaded gasoline (ethanol free). Now we will wait and see who offers it in the state.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you ever take a pencil to regular vs ethanol regular?

If you get 20mpg with regular it takes 50 gallon to go 1000 miles.

If you get 18mpg with ethanol regular it takes 55.6 gallons to go 1000 miles.

With 10% ethanol to a gallon it takes 50 gallons of gas (55.6 x .90 = 50.4) to go 1000 miles plus 5 gallons of ethanol.

This saves oil HOW? Should we not be a little unhappy about this?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
And who should we thank for this mess?
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
And who should we thank for this mess?
corn subsidies
Old 06-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Florida's Gov Scott recently signed a bill into law allowing sale of unleaded gasoline (ethanol free). Now we will wait and see who offers it in the state.
We have 411 stations in Florida offering ethanol free gasoline...
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
We have 411 stations in Florida offering ethanol free gasoline...
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

That is a pretty good list....I was aware of some of the Marinas in this area and one gas station that had quit selling it awhile back. Had actually bought some in the keys last Fall $$$$$$$

I check some of these local places before we take our trip north next month.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Saw on local Fl TV last night some guy wants to invest $500m in a E85 facility in Florida, lots of high pay jobs.

Now Gov Scott is in a spot as Fl is deemed Ethanol unfriendly.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #24

It's kind of like the Fluoride debate, 1PPM was the ideal dosage. but now the CDC and the ADA say's .7 PPM because of floridosis in babies. Just a bad idea, period!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #25

I seems to me that if it is the government's idea, it is probably a bad idea. I ran engine test labs for most of my career. What I can tell you is that alcohol in motorfuel is a bad idea and it really does not help anything anywhere except for campaign contributions. I have a 40yo coach and you would not believe what I have had to do to keep it from leaking fuel.

Matt
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I seems to me that if it is the government's idea, it is probably a bad idea. I ran engine test labs for most of my career. What I can tell you is that alcohol in motorfuel is a bad idea and it really does not help anything anywhere except for campaign contributions. I have a 40yo coach and you would not believe what I have had to do to keep it from leaking fuel.

Matt
Same here - our is 38. I have to replace ALL fuel lines every year or so, which mean an engine pull to get to the tank feed lines - not fun at all. And I get %10 lower MPG as an added bonus!

- Randy
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRand View Post
Same here - our is 38. I have to replace ALL fuel lines every year or so, which mean an engine pull to get to the tank feed lines - not fun at all. And I get %10 lower MPG as an added bonus!

- Randy
Randy,

Allow me to be of some assistance here. If you replace the rubber lines with either J30-R9 (for fuel injection) or J30-R14 for low pressure, the flexible lines will last at least three years (that is what mine are now). If you replace all the rubber you can with steel or better yet Polyarmuor then you will have even fewer problems.

Don't even consider trying to survive on E-15 when the government forces it on us. It will eat a diecast carburetor or fuel pump.

You need to bookmark Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada.

Matt