Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
OWV

Easy Pass

Can anyone offer any comments on getting an Easy Pass for a tag axle motor coach with a 4 down toad? Given the cost of some tolls on some roads and bridges (I think I read someplace that a tag axle cost $60 to cross the George Washington Bridge in NY) our intent is to avoid tolls as much as possible, but having the ability to use Easy Pass when we need it seems like a good idea. What do we ask for when we apply?

Thanks and regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Aspire, 44B, on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #2

We have an EZ Pass in our Mandalay. When you apply for the pass, do it on line. You will be given choices for the type of vehicle, weight, no. of axles, etc. Just choose the right setup for your coach and toad and you'll be all set.

You save about 10% on the tolls, and MANY, MANY minutes at the toll booths.

For Virginia, apply here... https://www.ezpassva.com/
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We have one for the MH and the toad. Just remember to put the toad pass in the foil bag when towing so you don't get charged twice!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
OWV

I assume then that the toad is part of the axle count.

On a related note, is there a good source to find out how a particular tolling authority sets their rates? The reason for asking is that we drove a 2 axle U-Haul truck to NY on I95 in MD (Baltimore tunnel, Susquehanna River bridge), the NJTPKE and across the GW Bridge. As I recall, the tunnel, bridge and NJTPKE charged us based on axles, i.e. the same amount as if we were driving our 2 axle car. However, the GW Bridge charged us considerably more than a 2 axle car. It seemed like they charged us by the tire x the axles, squared. However they set the amount it was considerably more than a car, even though the truck only had 2 axles. I think I read someplace that it cost them $60 to cross the GW. There is probably a point where the lesser of the evils would be to pay the toll than drive a gazillion miles out your way to avoid it. Which brings me back to my question, is there a source that tells one how tolls are set?

Thanks and regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire 44B, on order
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
We have one for the MH and the toad. Just remember to put the toad pass in the foil bag when towing so you don't get charged twice!
We have one Ez Pass which I switch between the MH and the toad. I have gone through tolls with MH only, MH & toad and toad only and have been correctly billed every time. As long as you have all the vehicles registered on the EZ Pass website, there is no need for separate transponders for each vehicle.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
About 3 or 4 yrs ago Thom and I drove from MI to CA. I was driving a PT Cruiser and Thom drove the Ford Ranger with a little trailer that had his Harley on it. Most states that had tolls charged what we expected for us except one state. They not only charged Thom for the axles on the truck and trailer but then also charged for the bike on the trailer. Now we just try very hard to never take tolls if we are in the RV or towing anything.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

In NYS you can get an EZ Pass specifically for your Motorhome. They charge it the same rate as a car not only in NY but most other states as well. I have never had a problem going thru the dedicated EZ Pass lanes. The road sensor records number of axles and I believe there is a weight sensor also. As was mentioned, if you tow, be sure to remove the EZ Pass from the tow vehicle.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Went to Jersey City to camp and visit NYC. Did not go into NY with rig. Have EZ Pass and didn't take toad. Have 40 ft rig single rear axel. Took toll roads in Il, Ind, Ohio, Pa. and NJ. It cost me about $160 in tolls so itwill cost you a big hunk of change with your setup.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we contacted Easy Pass to convert (we had 2 cars with Easy Pass) they stated there is a special MH class that was the same cost as a car when not towing. We now have a toad Easy Pass (in the foil wrapper), and 2 MH Easy Passes, one when towing (cost more for tolls) and one when not towing (same cost as a car). Obviously you keep the one you are not using in the foil bag as well.

I can see the difference between the two MH passes. The cost when towing is 2 to 3 times the cost when not towing.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

Have an EZ pass from VA specifically for when I'm towing. Have another for use when I'm driving the car. For the coach and toad I specifically told them I had 5 axles etc. Having the coach + toad transponder certainly cuts down on the amount of cash I have to carry. The EZ pass office may be uninformed, but the said couldn't use same transponder in car and MH ----maybe that's because coach has 3 axles. Maybe technology has changed in the 7 years I've had the coach with toad transponder and they can now count axles.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

Like I did mention, we have a total of 3 Easy Passes:
1- For toad only
1- MH when towing toad
1- MH when NOT towing toad

Generally we keep the 2 Easy passes not presently being used in the foil wraps and only have the specific appropriate Easy Pass out of the foil wrap.

I do not know if this is different in other states, but this is the way NY handles RV Easy Passes. Our rig also has 3 axles (Have a tag axle).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I use the same transponder in my car as in my MH (2 axels) no toad. I registered the MH plate on my EZ-pass account and filled in the description. I have used it on the NYS thruway and bridges with no problems. I was told many years ago that if you tow, they will figure it out as you pass thru the toll booth. Make sure the license plate for each vehicle is registered on your account. I don't think anyone would be charged for a motorcycle that was being transported in the back of a pickup. Also $60 for crossing the GW Bridge sounds very high. I would call EZ-pass to check that out. In fact I would call anyway to verify anything I have read on here except,of course, what I wrote!!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
When we contacted Easy Pass to convert (we had 2 cars with Easy Pass) they stated there is a special MH class that was the same cost as a car when not towing. We now have a toad Easy Pass (in the foil wrapper), and 2 MH Easy Passes, one when towing (cost more for tolls) and one when not towing (same cost as a car). Obviously you keep the one you are not using in the foil bag as well.

I can see the difference between the two MH passes. The cost when towing is 2 to 3 times the cost when not towing.
Great information. Some follow-up questions.

1. Why would it cost 2 to 3 times more if we have a 2 axle toad?
2. If we buy a MH specific EZPass in VA will other states, like NY which this thread said has a MH EZPass recognize our EZPass as being a MH EZPass?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire 44B on order
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #14

Probably because Easy Pass NY has a special rate for MH w/o toads, which are the same as a car, whereas the MH w/ the toad is not given the special rate.

You are best off asking the second question of NY and/or Va.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]