Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

Easy solution for keeping carpets clean when camping in the rain

I know light carpets are not conducive to dogs and small children... grandchildren in our case but I like the neutral appearance. I was always stressing when camping in rain and mud. We have a no shoe rule but unfortunately that doesn't work for the dogs. Then I got the idea to purchase the rolls of sticky plastic that they use for new RVs. Now when the conditions are not favorable I simply just roil and cut. And yes I know removing the carpets and replacing them with flooring is an option.... however I happen to like carpets so I just have to deal with the drawbacks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3125305164.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	540.8 KB
ID:	41455  
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Does that stuff make the carpet sticky or leave a residue when removed? I am the "Throw Rug Queen", trying to keep our carpet nice.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

No it doesn't leave a sticky residue. We use it a lot tailgating because we have a lot of non RV trained traffic in and out. I buy it at Sherwin Williams and a roll will do my den area carpet twice. Most of the time, the slide will roll it up when I bring the slide in, but sometimes it will go over the top of it. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put carpet at the entry door of a RV?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

Probably a guy.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiebug View Post
Probably a guy.
OUCH!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Does that stuff make the carpet sticky or leave a residue when removed? I am the "Throw Rug Queen", trying to keep our carpet nice.
No... No residue. Actually not only did our RV have carpet at the entrance way but it also had carpet in the bathroom areas which was unacceptable in my book. We removed the carpeting in those area's and replaced all of the vinyl. And yes I agree... It has to be a man that made that decision. And I apologize for the spelling in the title.... Fat fingers with the iPhone!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We keep our carpet area as clean as we can and I the Bissel Green Machine for those times when spots need to come up. However, everyone is welcome to come visit us anytime, but if you want to inspect, please give me a months notice.

We have a dog. Don't wear black.

Brian, that is a good idea.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
No... No residue. Actually not only did our RV have carpet at the entrance way but it also had carpet in the bathroom areas which was unacceptable in my book. We removed the carpeting in those area's and replaced all of the vinyl. And yes I agree... It has to be a man that made that decision. And I apologize for the spelling in the title.... Fat fingers with the iPhone!
Yuck, carpet in the bathroom is the WORST. Definitely a man's idea.

Thankfully, we have vinyl at the door and in most of the living area and bath. Carpet on and under the slide, in the bedroom and in the cockpit area. Throw rugs are my friends.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I remember reading threads here about leaving it on for extended periods and when removed it left a sticky residue on the carpet. The original poster was trying to find something to remove the residue without harming the carpet.I'm sure a search will find the threads.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I remember reading threads here about leaving it on for extended periods and when removed it left a sticky residue on the carpet. The original poster was trying to find something to remove the residue without harming the carpet.I'm sure a search will find the threads.
Thanks, but I'm probably not going to use that stuff. I imagine that if left on for extended periods it's bound to leave some residue, especially in this Texas heat.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

That is good to know however my intent is to use it for extreme conditions like mud and dirt.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We have had that plastic cover on our carpet for 30 days at a time and it has not left any residue. It has been great for the traffic from kids and guests.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I left ours on for 90 days last season and it left a residue. I'm using plastic runners now instead.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When it's nasty weather for tailgating, there are many people in & out of RV , I went to one of the big box stores and found a remnant of grass carpet and I roll that out. It wasn't that expensive, check in the carpet area.
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping