Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #15

even if you think it drysl out your tires after there clean put something on tha YOU think is the best to protect...jeez
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin used to say no to any tire coatings but 303, then they brought out their own band of it. Looked like 303 with a different label. Now they say:
Quote:
Tire Care Products

Nothing makes a car look sweeter than a shiny set of tires. But don’t put your investment at risk by using just any cleaner. Make sure to only use non-petroleum based products to clean the tires. A number of wheel cleaners may contain harsh acids, alkalis and/or detergents that can damage wheels and paint. However, there are products out there that are safe for all brands of tires as well as environmentally responsible. You can find them at an auto parts dealer near you.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I too used to use No Touch tire care. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Worked great, fast, easy and the tires looked awesome afterward. Well about 3 years later after using this stuff about once a month, I noticed the tires were cracking badly on the sidewalls. So I started doing some research, talked to about a half dozen tire shops etc. Everything said the same thing: Don't use no touch tire care....it wrecks tires!!! It is oil based(as has been posted above). Not good for tires. You need something that is water based. I too only use 303 Aerospace protectant now. In my opinion, it looks better than No Touch, lasts longer and doesn't harm the tire. Sure , you're right, I need to clean the tires with water first. But I'm also not replacing my tires($3-4000) every 3 years anymore.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #18

Carolina Campers
I'll check it out myself. I noticed that some of the know-it-alls really don't know jack, but they sure think they do.

Thanks for the suggestion.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Why not use petroleum based products?

I have a crabbit old neighbour that collects old 70's, 80's cars. For years, he's been brushing on plain ol' engine oil (new & unused) on the tyres to "keep them supple" (in his words)... Brush on, wipe off. He also sprays rubber engine components (boots, belts etc) with WD40 for the same reason.

Seeing comments above about NOT using oil based products makes me wonder. I must talk to him again this weekend and see if he ever had any problem with cracking rubber.

I haven't tried it myself as I'm conscious of the oil getting onto the treads. However, I do notice that his tyres always look great.
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting comments about tires and oil.

An internet search will give a lot of links about using oil on tires.
Many say “no-harm”. I searched by “ oil harms tires”.

I found it interesting how much oil is in a tire:

Tire-Makers Try Treading Lightly on the Environment: Scientific American

“Tire-makers have turned increasingly to finding renewable sourced raw materials to replace current oil-based ingredients of tires. Depending on the model, anywhere from 15 to 38 liters of petroleum are required to produce a standard tire. Low-oil content tires use various natural, sustainable ingredients as substitutes including chemically toughened natural rubbers, vegetable-based processing oils and fibers made of plant cellulose. They also found nonpetroleum versions of what the tire industry calls fillers—special functional additives that boost, for example, manufacturing processability or durability.

Tire chemistry is more complex than one might expect. "Some 30 or 40 chemicals go into tire rubber compounds, depending on the component—tread, sidewalls, belts, carcass plies and liner," notes James Rancourt, a consulting polymer scientist who heads Polymer Solutions in Blacksburg, Va. By weight, he explains, the tread compounds of a conventional tire contain about 28 percent natural rubber, which comes from latex sap, 28 percent synthetic rubber, which is made from oil, and 28 percent carbon black filler—a sootlike reinforcing agent that is produced by partially burning fossil fuels. The remaining 16 percent comprises different functional agents of various kinds”.

Also

Rubber: Average oil component in tire rubber?, natural rubber prices, earthmover tyres

“As to the amount of oil in tyres. Yes, there is a fair amount. It's hard to give you a good number on that because recipes vary from application to application. Also, some tyres have more steel reinforcement than others, so in a 56 kg truck tyre, you might have 30 kg of steel and 26 kg of rubber compound. Of that 26 kg roughly half will be pure polymer and roughly half will be other stuff like oil, carbon black, and other additives.

Typically, the oil content of oil-extended synthetic rubber is 25-33 percent, so for 13 kg of pure polymer you'll get between 4 and 6 kg of oil. I guess that means roughly 10 percent of the tyre weight might be oil”.

Many things work for many people.
My uncle had, while he was living, a 1934 Ford and a early 1940's Chrysler.
He was a Ford master mechanic. He NEVER waxed either one.
What he did was wash them both in kerosene twice a year.
He bought them both new and had then when he passed in the early 1980's.
The paint was still factory new in appearance on both when he passed.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #21

Tire protectant

I use the 303 Protectant on my tires also. Very happy with it ....might cost a little more but worth it. Also use their wipes for the dash and drivers door.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #22

303 is not a very common product in this part of the world. Could likely find it with a little searching but, what is the difference between 303 and Armorall?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Huh. Thought I bought my current bottle of 303 at Canadian Tire, but mabe I did'nt .
Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Napa sells it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #25

Use a little bit of Ajax on a sponge and you'll be surprised on how nice the tires look and nothing sticks to a bare clean tire . And it's cheap too !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
303 is not a very common product in this part of the world. Could likely find it with a little searching but, what is the difference between 303 and Armorall?
Armorall has silicons in it, and some contain petroleum solvent, Michelin says not to use products containing silicons or petroleum:
Quote:
If you use a dressing product to “protect” the tires from aging, use extra care and caution. Tire dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol, or silicones will cause deterioration or cracking and accelerate the aging process.
In many cases, it is not the dressing itself that can be a problem, but rather the chemical reaction that the product can have with the antioxidant in the tire. Heat can add to the negative reaction. When these same dressing products are used on a passenger car tire that is replaced every three to four years, it is rare to see a major problem. However, in most cases, RV tires may last much longer due to limited annual mileage, and the chemical reactions have much longer to take place.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Use a little bit of Ajax on a sponge and you'll be surprised on how nice the tires look and nothing sticks to a bare clean tire . And it's cheap too !
Dishwashing Detergent, Household Floor & Bleach Cleaner | Colgate-Palmolive, Murphy & Ajax Home Care Products
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I ordered a gallon off their web site (here), they threw in enough extra stuff to make up for the cost of shipping.
The web site lists 25 retailers in AB too.

Tags
tires, water