Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2008 fleetwood pace arrow 36D. I am interested in purchasing the onan 36D and I am trying to decide if this is something I can install or should I have an Onan coach dealer do the install. I have no electrical experience.

Thank you,
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #2

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2008 fleetwood pace arrow 36D. I am interested in purchasing the onan 36D and I am trying to decide if this is something I can install or should I have an Onan coach dealer do the install. I have no electrical experience.

Thank you,
Steve

Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

Sorry, I meant purchasing a EC-30 for my 36D.

Steve
Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Found this on line:

Can Energy Command 30 be added to an existing RV?

Energy Command 30 (EC-30) is a very affordable option if you're purchasing a new RV, but it gets more expensive if you wish to add it to your existing vehicle. Connecting all the features of the EC-30 requires running wires from the air conditioner, transfer switch, house batteries, chassis batteries, safety input and generator back to the location of the control. Depending on the specific design of your RV and which features you wish to connect, it will take a technician 8 full hours to properly install an EC-30. If you're looking to purchase an EC-30 for your existing RV, have the dealer quote on installation as well so you know the full cost of adding this feature. Cummins Onan engineers do not recommend RV owners to attempt to install the EC-30 on their own as it requires knowledge of electrical codes to safely and correctly install all the wires.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #5

Many have done this and how easy it is depends a lot on your abilities (mostly reading and comprehension) and how your RV is laid out.

On a Winnebago for instance with their One Place setup just about all of the required wires for hooking up an EC-30 are all in one place except for the safety signal wire which is best latched to the ignition switch so the generator will be kicked off autostart whenever the coach is started or or stopped. This is so the generator will not accidently start while fueling, in storage or being serviced.

Check out where the wires are in your coach for tying into the Ignition, AC Thermostat, Coach Battery Monitor Input, Engine Battery Monitor Input, Generator Control/Monitor Wires and the wires for any other system you wish to use as triggers and then see how much is readily accesible.

I got mine done in 6 hours with the hardest part for me being running the Ignition Signal Wire from the dash to the One Place Panel in the back hallway. I have a crippling disability from a ladder accident and walk with a cane so crawling around under the coach is a bit of a challange for me. But I was able to get it done and it was well worth the effort.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #6

Neil,
Can you provide more insight on this install? I am considering this installation, but everytime I talk to an Onan sales representative about it, they just say it's not cost effective as an after market add-on.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:
Neil,
Can you provide more insight on this install? I am considering this installation, but everytime I talk to an Onan sales representative about it, they just say it's not cost effective as an after market add-on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In general if you were going to pay someone to do it and you didn't have a motorhome with all the wiring required to hook up the EC-30 already in one central location then that would be true.

However you have a Winnebago Product and will have it easier then most others.

Mine went like this:

Cut a hole, to install the EC-30, in the paneling next to the OnePlace panel using the Onan provided template and a sharp knife.

Remove the OnePlace panel without disconnecting it and hang it beside the opening to have easy access to the wires.

Drape the Onan provided wireing harness through the hole just cut and feed it through to the OnePlace panel.

Splice into about a dozen wires already located in the OnePlace and run a wire to the dash area for the safty input.

Plug the wiring harness into the EC-30 and test out the system.

Mount the EC-30 in the hole that was cut.

Put the OnePlace back.

If you want to exploit the power failure feature of the EC-30 you will have to provide a 110 to 12 volt transformer to hook this up to. You can wire it to the shore power side of the transfer switch and run the two 12 volt wires to the EC-30.

Also review this topic from 2005:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/t...2/m/6251077431
Old 04-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #8

Neil,
Thanks for the input. Where did you purchase yours?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:
Neil,
Thanks for the input. Where did you purchase yours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Onan Cummings in Tampa Florida. They are local to me and had the best price at the time.