Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
EC-30W Onan Auto Gen Start

More Information here – link to Cummins Onan RV Generator Energy Command AutoStart Control

We have had this auto start for our Onan 8000 generator for about a year now. I'm looking for suggestions regarding programming it.

The only problem we seem to be having is when I have the Quiet Time turned ON. The unit is supposed to precharge the batteries beginning two hours prior to the beginning of Quiet Time. For example, last night I had Quiet Time set to begin at 10p.m. At 8p.m. the generator fired up, ran about 10 minutes, then shut down. Then about 10 minutes later, if fire up again, ran about 10 minutes and then shut down again. If the Quiet Time is turned OFF, everything seems to work just fine. I'm trying to figure out what I should program in to get it to not turn off and on so much when I have the Quiet Times turned ON.

Here are the settings I have programmed into it:
1 - Low Battery Start V - 11.5 (choices are SOC, 11.5, 11.6, 11.7, 11.8, 11.9, 12.0 and 12.1V
2 - Low Battery for 90 SECONDS (choices are 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 or 90secs)
3 - Full Battery Stop V - 13.1 (choices are 12.8, 12.9, 13.0, 13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 13.4V
4 - Full Battery Stop 90 MINUTES (choices are 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, or 90 Minutes

I have not found that using SOC - State of Charge works any better because we do not have consistent enough usage to allow the computer to accurately predict our usage.

I have the Auto temperature settings programmed in at the extremes - very high for cool and very low for heat so I am absolutely certain that the generator is not firing up because of the temperature. I have checked those items out separately at another time and they work just fine.

For any of you who are still hanging in there after reading this far, take a look at Table 5-3 on page 5-4 of the link I've included and see if that helps you.

I have spoken with a couple different Cummins representatives without getting anywhere yet.

Thank you for your thoughts - would also like to know if anyone else has the same problem on the EC-30W.
Dave & Kathy Cramer (Full Timers) AF CMSgts, Ret
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ
2003 Honda Odyssey, Toad Stop Braking System
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!