Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
EGR? How do you know

Is there an easy way to tell if a diesel is EGR? Knowing the year is not totally reliable. Is there some sort of engine code or other designation that will tell me for sure?
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The engine manufacturer could tell you if you call them with the engine serial number (on a plate on the engine block somewhere). Cummins has help on their site for finding the ESN.

I thought diesel engines made for highway use after 1/1/2003 all had EGR. There are, of course, some 2003 model motorhomes that use chassis built in 2002 and thus do not have to meet the 2003 spec.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The engine manufacturer could tell you if you call them with the engine serial number (on a plate on the engine block somewhere). Cummins has help on their site for finding the ESN.

I thought diesel engines made for highway use after 1/1/2003 all had EGR. There are, of course, some 2003 model motorhomes that use chassis built in 2002 and thus do not have to meet the 2003 spec.
My 07 Endeavor has no EGR.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #4

If you are looking at a PU you can find an emissions label under the hood that will list all emissions equipment installed. this also applys to "C"s DP ?
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

I have seen several statements around the internet about the date after which "all diesel's have EGR" with dates up to 2007. That, plus the fact that listed "year" doesn't always mean the actual year the coach was built makes me want to have a more definitive way of knowing. I have been shopping and have asked the question of several dealers and none of them had a clue about EGR. So, as always, its up to me to know the facts before I buy, so I just need a way to check, hopefully without calling the manufacturer every time.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've heard there is no stupid questions so here goes. What is EGR, ESN, and why do I need to know if my 08 Cummings in my Fleetwood is one of these. Feel free to assume that this forum was hacked if this falls into the super stupid question.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and emissions control gadget.

ESN = Engine Serial Number (a term used in Cummins engine documentation).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary, don't tell huntnski Im asking rum question under his title........the hacker
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The previous (original) owner of my 2007 HR with the 8.9 Cummins actually worked for Cummins until he retired.

He told me, and I've seen supporting info on the internet, that Cummins started putting EGR's on these engines for the 07 model year.

That was why he made sure to order this one new just before the engine model year changed, so mine actually has a late 06 engine.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
In jan 2007 they started with emissions control. How to tell is if you have a big tube running from exhaust to your intake. That is a egr.

Also the exhaust will have some big cans in them for the soot to be caught.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86
In jan 2007 they started with emissions control. How to tell is if you have a big tube running from exhaust to your intake. That is a egr.

Also the exhaust will have some big cans in them for the soot to be caught.
Cummins started EGR fuels systems on different engines in different years. The ISL started EGR on all engines built after 1/1/2007. That was also the date for the particulate filter system which the big cans refer to. They are different systems but on the ISL they started at the same time. The. ISM started with engines built for the '04 EPA requirements. I'm not sure about the ISC the OP asked about. Unfortunately calling Cummins with the engine # is the most fool proof way. It's true that if you learn where to look you can spot the EGR plumbing but it's not always as easy as it sounds.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My '04 ISL doesn't have EGR either. I think Steve Ownby has it right. Or at least as right as I can prove by hearing from owners or manufacturer web sites.

The EPA never requires a particular technology like EGR - they just tell you the emissions spec you have to meet and leave the engineering to the engine builder. Often, though, there is only one technology that is cost-effective for meeting the EPA spec.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #13

a cummins rep at a fmca rally told me that starting in 2010 a reduction in NOx was made possible by injecting def (urea) in the exhaust ..This enabled the the engineers to reduce the amount of egr by about 85% ...the bad part is the $$$ per engine went up..the good part the engines with def make more power than the same engines with egr...

peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote