Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
We are trading for a Fleetwood Providence 39R that has an electric awning. We have enjoyed the screen that we attach to the roller of the manual awning of the Chieftain that gives us a nice semiprivate room outside. I notice that the electric awning does not lower very far because of the kitchen slide. It is perhaps 8 to 9 ft in the air. A screen would be nice to cut the sun as the awning is going to be of little use late in the day. Has anyone any recommendations as to disabling the wind sensor, and tying down the outer end. Are these units as rugged as the manual units? We have had our manual unit in 40mph gusts that rock the coach but with little more than lots of noise from the canvas. Appreciate feedback from those with experience

2008 Fleetwood Providence 39R - Great Floorplan
2010 GMC Acadia Toad w/SMI Air Force One Brake - Roadmaster Stowmaster - 3 minute hookup!
EasyDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
You don't say what the brand the awning is, but the A&E Weather Pro has a switch on the control box (usually located in a storage compartment) to turn off the wind sensor. I suspect other brands of awning has the same thing.

I don't feel electric awnings are as durable as manual awnings. The electric awnings are usually cantilevered off the side of the coach and I don't feel they will take much force to tie them down securely. We used to put the legs of our manual awning on our old travel trailer down on the ground in the carport position. You could pull down on the tie down straps with all your weight and the force was transferred to the legs. The electric awnings have no legs, therefore you can't pull down on the tie down straps as securely as you can with a manual awning.

One thing to be aware of when you tie down any awning - manual or electric. A strong enough wind can rip the fabric right off the frame even if it is tied down.

We have a sun shade for our Weather Pro awning, but we never use it because I don't like the idea of tying the awning down. It's too much trouble to put the shade up just for a few hours at a time.

Just my opinion.

Happy travels with your new cioach.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
We also have the A&E Weather pro awning, you need a ladder each time installing the shade screen (pain) and too large to roll up into awning so you have to remove it. So I found a cure for this from a awning or canvas shop I had the screen cut in half the length ways and had Velcros and grommets installed on the bottom portion of the same piece. the left over material or lower half the mate of Velcros stalled or sewn on top portion and also gromments installe on the bottom. Now I can leave the half size shade left on and rolls up with the awning, If I want it longer (closer to the ground) just add the extra piece -Velcros to Velcros- and if its to windy tie it down using the grommets

Davie Fla
Hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great feedback. In touring the campground here, there are a couple of units tied down and then they use deflapper bunjies to hold the edges. One uses arched braces underneath.

2008 Fleetwood Providence 39R - Great Floorplan
2010 GMC Acadia Toad w/SMI Air Force One Brake - Roadmaster Stowmaster - 3 minute hookup!
EasyDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
It is just a flick of a switch to disable the wind sensor. I was in a park in which a tornado touched down near by and the winds ripped any awnings that were out but I watched an electric awning flapping and bouncing like crazy before finally retracting via the wind sensor ( think it was set to high) anyways the awning survived.
They are stronger then they seem.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think you need an awning that you can put all your weight onto to tie down. Your tie downs are there to keep the awning from lifting up and only need to be able to not strech or lift up when the wind is acting up. They are not there to try to force your awning down. Regardless, I think it is a good idea to not have your awning extended when it is windy and an electric awning is a lot easier to extend out and roll up quickly depending on the the weather and how you want it. Even though we have the wind sensor on ours we roll it up anyway when we are going to be gone or at night when asleep because it's so easy to do so.
Steve & Nancy
2005 Itasca Sunrise 33', W20 Chassis, Ultrapower, Henderson Trac Bar
2012 Chevy Captiva Sport AWD, ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, Blue Ox Base Plate, Protect-A-Tow
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
I have the manual awning on my MH and I leave it out all the time, if we are going to be in a place more than a few days. I have a tie down kit that I made from a couple of ground anchors and tie down straps I had. I am going to get a couple of springs to put between the strap and the anchor to give a little. I leave it with a little slack in it now, to compensate for the motion of the rig. I do need to get some deflappers. I wonder how folks anchor their awning in parks that have concrete or ashphalt parking strips. We are going to be in Florida for a few months and I don't want to have to put it in and out all the time. I have an idea, using a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of concrete and a live plant sitting on top. Should weight about 30 lbs or so.

2000 Pace Arrow 33v
10 Kia Soul-05 HD Ultra Classic
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote