Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Electric Blanket

Does anyone else have problems with controls going out on an electric blanket. I have a motorhome with an inverter. I plug the electric blanket into a power strip. I keep them unplugged until ready to use and unplug when not using. I have had to purchase several electric blankets because of the controls going out. I know it's something to do with the MH because I have the same type blanket in my home that was in the MH initially and the one in the home hasn't had any problems. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Us2cajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, I am going to say that your inverter that is in your Coach is a "modified sine wave" inverter, most all circuit boards and delicate electronics do not like this form of AC voltage, seems to burn them up like you are saying. Are you boondocking is why you are powering the blanket off the inverter? No shore power? If not, plug the blanket into a normal AC outlet that is not powered off the inverter and see if it works better.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have had the same problem. I have given up on using an electric blanket on the coach as they don't like MSW power.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too found out that you don't operate an electric blanket from an inverter, unless it's a pure sine wave, which most are not!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
The SoftHeat Low Voltage line of heated products from Perfect Fit Industries in Charlotte, NC is the only electric blanket I know of that will run on a modified sine wave inverter. I have one, it works, however it did shrink quite a bit when I washed it.

Although not inexpensive, they are cheaper than replacing your inverter with a sine wave version...
Old 11-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
An alternative would be to install an appropriately sized pure sine wave inverter to power the outlet for the blanket. Otherwise, you could buy the electric blanket mentioned above. Be aware that modified sine wave inverters can also damage some electronics, phone or tablet chargers, etc. This is not an uncommon issue, if you search the forum you'll find other complaints about things that don't work on MSW inverters.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Depending on how often you boondock and what electronics you use, it may actually be wiser to take the plunge and invest in a pure sine wave inverter. I realize the OP is only talking about an electric blanket and I know a pure sine wave inverter is a costly investment, but it could prevent other problems with electronics (TV, Satellite, laptop, etc.) in the future.

Good luck!
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. The DW has been wanting me to add an inverter fed plug in for her electric blanket. Our coach has the factory installed Magnum 2K inverter. I guess she'll just have to snuggle when we're boondocking.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
The SoftHeat Low Voltage line of heated products from Perfect Fit Industries in Charlotte, NC is the only electric blanket I know of that will run on a modified sine wave inverter. I have one, it works, however it did shrink quite a bit when I washed it.

Although not inexpensive, they are cheaper than replacing your inverter with a sine wave version...
We've been fulltiming for 11 years with the modified sine wave inverter that came on the motorhome. I'd love to have a pure sine wave inverter, but have an aversion to replacing something that still works.

Previously, we used an electric blanket that was about 15 years old (before electronic controls), but it was dying, so I bought the SoftHeat and it's wonderful. We leave it on the bed year-round and haven't washed it--thanks for the warning.

So far, electric blankets and a DeWalt charger are the only things the MSW inverter has burned up; computers and all that stuff work fine. But I'd like to be able to use my Splendide washing machine on the inverter, and I'm too chicken to try it with MSW.

When the MSW dies, I'd definitely going pure sine wave. But until then, the SoftHeat blanket is the answer to the non-negotiable issue of having an electrically warmed bed.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used a good quality king sized down comforter on our queen sized bed.
My wife who sleeps with a blanket in the summer didn't realize that I had accidentally left the heat off one night and it got down to 38 degrees. I asked her how she slept and she said "fine".
Old 12-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those that care to use them

Some good info here on electric blanket use.
Safety & Care - Electric Blanket Institute

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
We used a good quality king sized down comforter on our queen sized bed.
My wife who sleeps with a blanket in the summer didn't realize that I had accidentally left the heat off one night and it got down to 38 degrees. I asked her how she slept and she said "fine".
Was that 38 degrees inside the RV????

My use of an electric blanket is almost always just for warming up the bed; once I'm in it and warm, I turn the blanket off while I sleep unless the temperature inside the RV is going to be below around 60--in that case, I leave the blanket on LOW.

I'm always cold when I go to bed, even in the summer. No amount of down comforters or other blankets will ADD the warmth I need to be comfortable. They'll retain heat, and that's fine once I'm warm, but I have to GET warm first. People who don't have this problem have a hard time understanding it.

I also almost always have cold feet. People say, "Put on a pair of warm socks," but it's the same with the blanket--socks can't add heat to my feet. I can warm them by soaking them in hot water, or wrapping them in a heating pad, and once they're warm, socks will work fine for keeping them warm for a while. But without some sort of external application of heat, they just can't get warm.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes 38 degrees inside the RV and she didn't get cold. I was amazed.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Yes 38 degrees inside the RV and she didn't get cold. I was amazed.
I am even more amazed that the inside temps. got down to 38 degrees, and the both of you never woke Thats cold!