Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #1

Electric shuts down Intermittently

I have a 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom motor home. I purchased this 6 months ago. From the beginning the symptoms started:
1.The electric would shut off for a 1 to 20 minutes, sometimes a number of times in the same day.
The first thing I did was to purchase a 50amp Surge Guard
When the lights went out I would check the Surge Guard and it always showed 125 volts with no problems.
The second thing I did was to replace all the batteries with 12 volt deep cycle.
The symptoms continued.
The problem has never showed up while traveling with the generator running.
trackum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #2

Trackum,
You have a problem in your 12 volt dc system. Start by checking all your battery connections to make sure they're clean and tight. Most of the electrical things in your coach work on 12vdc. A few things like tv and microwave use 120 volts ac. And your converter is responsible for charging the batteries from the 120 vac.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
When you say the electric shuts off does that mean no AC to a known item that is run off AC?
If this occurs only on shore power you may have a bad relay in the transfer panel or a loose connection.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We need more info to give meaningful help. If its the lights that go out, it's a 12v problem. If the air conditioners and other 120v stuff quits, then it's a 120v power problem. If it's both, it may be multiple problems. Please clarify exactly what doesn't work.

Since you say it is ok on generator, the automatic transfer switch seems a good bet.

One thing that relates to both is the inverter/charger, which supplies 12v and also routes 120v power to most of the outlets, including the microwave. If the 120v realys in the inverter are flaky, it might appear that power is being lost.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We need more info to give meaningful help. If its the lights that go out, it's a 12v problem. If the air conditioners and other 120v stuff quits, then it's a 120v power problem. If it's both, it may be multiple problems. Please clarify exactly what doesn't work.

Since you say it is ok on generator, the automatic transfer switch seems a good bet.

One thing that relates to both is the inverter/charger, which supplies 12v and also routes 120v power to most of the outlets, including the microwave. If the 120v realys in the inverter are flaky, it might appear that power is being lost.
When the power goes off all the 12 volt stuff, including the TV, continues to work just fine. The Air conditioner goes off and of course the microwave doesn't work.
trackum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Sure sounds like a bad relay or bad connection in the transfer panel, connections are
known to get loose in these.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Had a similar problem on previous Itasca coach. Turned out to be a loose screw in the electrical panel connecting a wire to a breaker. Some times it would be connected and after a few minutes it would not. I figured it might be that the poor connection was heating and would expand and cut itself off. After finding the problem and tightening it - no more problem.
Whether or not that is your problem, I have no idea
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When the power goes off all the 12 volt stuff, including the TV, continues to work just fine. The Air conditioner goes off and of course the microwave doesn't work.
The tv should be 120v, but is probably powered via an inverter anyway, so it wouldn't know if 120v was lost. I'm kind of surprised the microwave isn't on an inverter circuit too, but maybe your inverter is for entertainment systems only.

If you have 120v power at the Surge Guard but not inside the coach, it suggests a transfer switch issue. Maybe a faulty relay or a loose wire on the shore power side.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say no problems running on generator.. OK.

Lights are usually 12 volt (Though I have a few 120 volt scattered about mostly to let me know when 120 is lost)

A/C is 120 volt

Power comes in one of two ways,, Either via an "INLET" (And matching Outlet on the cord) or direct to the transfer switch.

Things I have PERSONALLY seen, Note I am not an RV service tech so I do not see all that many RV's, technically, that is.

I had a brand new 5er pull into the site in front of me, Sticker still in the window, Wife went to vacuum up a bit of dirt that had been tracked in (I mean it was BRAND new) and no power.. Not a bit.

We started power tracking

Pedistal good
Outlet end of the power cord...fell off in my hand
There were six screws under the cover not one had been thightened.

My own rig, Loose screw on the inlet,, Dealer could not figure out how to tighten it (I got it) .

My own rig, Several loose screws in the power distribution panel (Check all of them, UNPLUG FIRST use only 12 volt while working there please.

I would also check for screws loose in the Transfer Switch.

I mean, Many RVers have a few screws loose.. The ones described above that is.

A #2 Square bit may help, Though a couple of those take somethind different.