Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Electric step problem

2011 Monaco Knight electric steps works only intermittently or sometimes only opens halfway. I do not know the brand name of the step itself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dave&helayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #2

Stand outside so that you can open and close the door. As you open and the steps start to deploy, give them a little assistance with your toe. Same thing as they close. If they work with assistance, lub all the hinge points.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
First step would be to spray lube all of the pivot points of the steps. Also check the electrical connections on the motor. Being mounted under the steps, they get sprayed with salt, etc. from the road. Clean and spray the connections.

If that doesn't work post the make of the steps. The motors are easy to change and most steps are a Ford Taurus driver-side front window motor.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is some info I have collected over the years from various threads for Kwikee steps. May be of some help if lube doesn't fix it.
Trouble shooting chart HERE
There is a trouble shooting guide HERE
If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:
Motor
PARTS 1
PARTS 2
PARTS 3

__________________________________________________ ______________
" 1) AM Equipment 402 E. Hazel St Jefferson, OR 97352, (541) 327-1546 the motor is $29 plus $7 shipping.

2) Replacement step motor at AutoZone. It's a Siemens "Window Lift Motor", part number WL43003.
3) Autozone. The brand is "Siemens"
The ID tag lists the following numbers:
59720-20
4) A 1986-1995 Ford Taurus left front window lift motor matched my motor. NAPA part # BK655-1395 $63.99 I ordered my motor from Auto-Zone Manufactured by Dorman part# 742-206. This has a lifetime Warranty and was $49.99. "
Also these guys rebuild the older unencapsulated circuit boards: HERE[/url]
New info in 2012
ACI Auto/Window Lift Motor (83094) | 1995 Ford F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders N 5.0L EFI | AutoZone.com
Aci Auto/Window Lift Motor
For your 1995 Ford Truck F150 1/2 ton P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
Enlarge Image
Part Number: 83094
On disasembly of the motor I found the plastic plugs severly lopsided due to all the years of strain, new plugs cost $8.00 at Autozone or Amazon, other than that the Autozone Ford Mark VI would have worked $ $44, but I saved myself $38
Just replaced my 25 series Kwikee step motor with a Dorman 742-277 window lift motor for a 1986 Ford Taurus driver side window lift motor. They said the Taurus had a high torque motor which is why the number ends with 277 meaning high torqe. My steps zip in and out with this motor application. It was a special order item but only took one day for them to get it to my local AutoZone store. I also noticed AutoZone had rebuild kits for Dorman window lift gear boxes (plastic gears) in the Help section of the store.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

This information is very helpful and I'm sure that I will be able to solve the problem. My MH is in storage and it will be awhile before I am able to get back to it. Thank you very much for sending me so much information. Dave
dave&helayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

Ground wires are bad to corrode be careful operating while underneath.