Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Electric steps

We have a 06 Mandalay and the steps will not let out. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 NascarRN.
Here is a manual if its a kwikee step . Step maintenance.
Should check ground wire to chassis frame and magnetic switch on door frame also a switch in your display area.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
Wow that could be a number of problems. The first thing I would do is check the motor. There should be wires hooked to the switching unit via plugs. You can then take 2 wires and connect them to a 12v battery positive and negative if the step deploys reverse the polarity to retract it. If the step doesn't move you at least need a new motor. If the step moves check to make sure that the internal switch wires are good if that works then you may need a new switching unit. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My steps get their power from the engine battery.

If the coach has not been started for a month or so the battery will run down and the steps won't move.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second ARCH, first make sure you have power to the steps.. NOTE: under the top step (that NOT the one that moves) there should be a lamp, it should be ON if the door is open, check that as a way of checking battery and fuses.

Now, if the batteries are good take a hammer, Grip the HEAD of the hammer and "THUNK" the motor a few times with the handle, Firm, but not hard enough to break anything.. You just want to shake it up.. Make sure you are OUT OF THE WAY when you do it,, Then crawl out and open the door again.

No guarantees save your free cheerfully refunded if it don't work.

Note: this is a temp fix at best, NOT a repair.. If it works let me know and I'll give you step 2.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
there is usually a problematic magnetic switch on the door jamb.
you might try tapping on it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

new kwikee step cost me 1100 for my 93 fleetwood pace arrow. It works now but i got some serious electrical problems ( still try to find proper forum)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

I would check the wiring harness plug. Corrosion from road salt etc. will cause all kinds of problems. I finally gave up and hard wired mine with soldered joints, dielectric grease and shrink tubing. I also discovered a broken wire at the magnetic door switch would cause intermittant operation. Sometimes when they crimp the connector on the end of the wire, it actually cuts the wire, vibration then finishes the wire and it will break or maybe just a few strands holding things together.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #9

Ok We replaced the magnetic door switch, took the motor off and checked it put it back on and the steps retracted and won't come back out. Any other suggestions? We removed the panel on the passenger side and there is a little red light blinking not sure if that has anything to do with the steps
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to Davinger
It is beggening to sound like a connection issue. Take a 12v deepcycle battery and place it near the steps. You will see 2 wires that should be connected via 2 plugs. Disconnect the 2 wires and connect the ones going to the motor to the battery. If nothing hppens reverse the polarity. If the steps deploy you may need a new switching unit. If the steps do not deploy make sure the battery is charged. The switching unit is what the 2 wires plug into. If the battery is charged and the steps do not deploy you may need a motor. Does the light on the steps come on?