Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

Electric steps problem AGAIN

I don't get this, on my 2006 discovery I replaced the steps electric motor and it was ok for about two years and now back to the same thing, not working I toke a hammer and give it a couple taps and it works for a couple of days and the It stops again, looks like I have to buy another motor, anybody else out there as experience this multiple time failure with the steps? Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Crawl under it and make sure none of the linkages are bent. Also, lube all joints with oil.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

And the old adage "Use it or lose it." stands true with steps too. If you set your steps to where they close when you close the door, you keep the steps lubricated, including underneath on the motor, etc., it will work!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
ninos.....Are you lubricating them regularly? Maybe you've just been unlucky. You need to occasionally spray the ENTIRE mechanism with a cleaner like 409 or another degreaser. Rinse it off and then lube all of the pivot points. A silicone spray works best. My step broke the center bolt last year and was repaired with a replacement bolt. I found at the time that the pivot points are all bronze bushings. I replaced them too. While inspecting the steps, the main arms were also found to be loose. Once I tightened, cleaned and replaced some of the replaceable parts, the steps work like new. The point......you may have to perform a little more maintenance.

Lastly, I used a piece of a truck mudflap and made a small mudflap that I bolted in front of the step to keep the road debris off of the step and mechanism while driving.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

I do lube them up really good once a year, and I looked under and everything looks good so I guess it's just bad luck with the electric motor. Thanks to all. Joe
Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Try cleaning the ground wires.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
G'monring:

Ya know, we quickly learned that occasionally visitors, and even service techs will not wait for the steps to FULLY deploy (extend) when such folks enter or exit your rig. This isn't a problem of course when step switch of off during periods when your rig is shut down, aired down and jacks deployed in permanent set up status, but sometimes during short stops (ie., at rest stops, or at service shops, etc.) few or any of us with self deploying (mechanical) steps ever waste time setting up permanently, so visitors unfamiliar with such things, and even over anxious service techs will sometimes enter or exit your rig while step mechanism is still moving, often even during that last inch or so, and, sure enough, THAT'S when the step deploying motor/mechanism starts to act up. Since we started alerting visitors and techs, etc., to always WAIT for the steps to fully extend BEFORE stepping on them, ...NO MORE STEP PROBLEMS for five years now. FWIW.

Steve
Old 10-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

Ninos, I recently had a similar problem but I think the service center ran it into the curb.
Typically what happens is they wear some and then the magnet pulls them to one side, "sticking" them.
I found one on Amazon for cheap by searching on this site. (at work, sorry can't search well.) For $36 I don't think this is a all that well made item. I intend to buy another to keep as spare and figure it's a service item and in case it goes out again on the road.

Better to have a cheap spare than travel with duct tape wrapped around the steps and make the jump. Had to swap connector and enlarge the mount holes but is easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post

Lastly, I used a piece of a truck mudflap and made a small mudflap that I bolted in front of the step to keep the road debris off of the step and mechanism while driving.

Great idea Don, Your always one step ahead of us.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #9

Sounds like what I just went thru. I took the motor out and took it apart and sanded the armature and cleaned lines between the copper with a tooth pick or fold the sand cloth and use the edge. If your motor has been out before then it should come out pretty easy. Mine was in for 5 yrs and I had to use a flame wrench to get the pin out. It's not a tough job. You can push the brushes back and they will stay. Just make sure when you take the cover off the armature you mark it or it WILL close when you open the door and open when you close it if it's put in backwards , and it will go together backwards. Thats first hand knowledge there and it took quite a while to figure out what I did wrong!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
Sounds like what I just went thru. I took the motor out and took it apart and sanded the armature and cleaned lines between the copper with a tooth pick or fold the sand cloth and use the edge. If your motor has been out before then it should come out pretty easy. Mine was in for 5 yrs and I had to use a flame wrench to get the pin out. It's not a tough job. You can push the brushes back and they will stay. Just make sure when you take the cover off the armature you mark it or it WILL close when you open the door and open when you close it if it's put in backwards , and it will go together backwards. Thats first hand knowledge there and it took quite a while to figure out what I did wrong!
YUP!

Since chances are ya gotta take the old motor out anyway, why not then just go ahead and open it up to see what' wrong with it? Guy gave me an old electric trolling motor - pretty much the same design as the step motors - or even the heater blower motors, and all it really needed was dis-assembly, and a good cleaning at the brushes and commutator...

AND, like the others said, I thoroughly lube ALL the pivot points on the steps on our '88 Winnie several times each season, and they still operate quietly - and smooth as butter...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #11

Thanks to you all for the help, I will try taking it a part and see what's going on there. Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #12

Ok I toke it a part and cleaned everything out and it's working again, thanks to all for the help. Joe

Tags
steps